• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Worst Strike Call in the History of the Sport

Saw this yesterday on Twitter. Just awful. This guy must have watched Eric Gregg ringing up the Braves in the 1997 NLCS against the Marlins. This guy should never ump another game again.

The batter's reaction to the 2nd strike is why the ump struck him out in my opinion. Not saying its right, but umps and officials don't like to be shown up. That third strike was not even close.
Bingo!!! 100% correct.

As a sports official myself, I am often amazed at the poor temperament of other officials. This ump took that reaction after the 2nd strike personally, and maybe other events occurred earlier, but that next pitch was going to be called a strike no matter what

Not everyone is cut out to be an official.

The batter's reaction to the 2nd strike is why the ump struck him out in my opinion. Not saying it’s right, but umps and officials don't like to be shown up. That third strike was not even close.
The first strike, was questionable, the second pitch was exactly what you said, a ring up for the previous pitch. However, in this case, no argument can be made on the second pitch, it was clearly a ball. As QC mentioned above, straight dereliction of duty.

The batter's reaction to the 2nd strike is why the ump struck him out in my opinion. Not saying its right, but umps and officials don't like to be shown up. That third strike was not even close.
100%. That first strike I get. Horrible call, but it happens. I teach catchers to always frame up on low balls rather than flip. Crazy how many strike calls that can get in a weekend tournament. We played down in Oklahoma last weekend and my daughter probably got four of those called strikes for her pitcher behind the plate. This is college baseball though with balls traveling north to south. No reason to miss it. Then the ump decided to get vindictive when he knew he messed up. Glad he was suspended. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

Last edited:

Good sportsmanship by the opposing catcher, holding him back
It was. Terrible call but that catcher saved the batters season probably. Good catchers accept the responsibility of managing the game. They look past their pitch by pitch world and keep the game flowing. This kid went a step further by showing what the brotherhood of baseball players mean. It is unique to sports. After my high school playing days were over I ran into guys I played against frequently, once even in Iceland, and realized how deep those relationships went. We had crazy competitive games between the lines but I still consider those guys friends decades later.

Showing up the umpire should have nothing to do with it. The integrity is to call it a strike if it is and a ball if it is! nothing else.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back