• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

World Cup Final Game Thread: USWNT vs Japan

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hope Solo wins the Golden Glove as the World Cup's best goalkeeper. US defense was remarkable in the tournament.</p>&mdash; Grant Wahl (@GrantWahl) <a href="https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/617862244521476096">July 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden;" allowfullscreen="" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Hope Solo wins the Golden Glove as the World Cup's best goalkeeper. US defense was remarkable in the tournament.
— Grant Wahl (@GrantWahl) July 6, 2015
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Saw bits and pieces of the match, as I was at work, but those first 4 goals, the place went wild..... EXCELLENT!!!

<iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

That was a great performance. Really the last three matches of the tournament for the USWNT were outstanding. Definitely a team that hit their stride in the knockout rounds. For all the criticism that Ellis took, her detractors never really took into consideration that the team enjoyed playing for her. I think we saw that over the past couple of weeks. There may be others that are better technical/tactical, but what Ellis lacks in that area she makes up for, and then some, when it comes to getting the team to believe in themselves and wanting to play for her. Kudos to the team, the coaching staff and Ellis for ignoring that the "experts" had to say.

Well, the so called "experts" were everyone, so......

I'm also not sure why there always seems to be a pissing match regarding anything soccer related on this site.

That was the best midfield performance we've seen for years. The goals came off corners and sets to start, but the possession play in the attacking 1/2 was the difference. The ball control was solid, fast, tight and spaced to perfection. The next pass was ALWAYS one step ahead. That first 20 minutes was possibly the best a United States team has ever looked. Ever. Japan freaked out a little and in combination with how unbelievable we played.....that was game. Let's not forget we had, at least, 2 free headers and 2 more open looks (remember Morgan's miss?) that I can think of off the top of my head that easily could have been goals.

Just a dominating performance. That was quality like nothing we've seen for some time.

I'm no expert, but I wasn't down on Ellis at all in this tournament. I hope that those in the media and former players who called her out over the past month have the guts to say how wrong they were and admit they have egg on their face now.

I'm no expert, but I wasn't down on Ellis at all in this tournament. I hope that those in the media and former players who called her out over the past month have the guts to say how wrong they were and admit they have egg on their face now.

I've done only a little looking, but I have not seen many of those people giving her the credit she's due.

I've done only a little looking, but I have not seen many of those people giving her the credit she's due.

Agreed. She must have rubbed people the wrong way for some time not to get much praise. Say what you want, but I agree with what you guys are saying. Specifically regarding the last 2 matches and the quality of play from the team. When a team beats down a Germany club who couldn't mount much a threat and then that final......you have to give Ellis some love. Have to.

Agreed. She must have rubbed people the wrong way for some time not to get much praise. Say what you want, but I agree with what you guys are saying. Specifically regarding the last 2 matches and the quality of play from the team. When a team beats down a Germany club who couldn't mount much a threat and then that final......you have to give Ellis some love. Have to.

It's a shame if former players don't step up and say their criticism of Ellis at the start of the tournament was probably incorrect. It's one thing to have a different philosophy than Ellis in how the team should play, but some people seem to make it personal. Media members I can understand not being quick to saying they were wrong. That would require media members to swallow their pride. That's hard for some of them to do.

Wow, what a match, what a tourney.

In the beginning and at times this year Team USA looked like a team that would struggle in the WC. However, at some point, it just clicked, and that point happened as soon as the ball was kicked on Sunday. Offensively, Team USA, well, put on a show, they scored goals in any way you could imagine; crosses, rebounds, 50 yarders, perfect passing...it was ALL there. Midfield, WOW...Holiday, Lloyd, and Brian controlled the middle of the field superbly. On the wings, Rapinoe, who reminds me of Arjen Robben except from the opposite side....I love watching her play, and heath were dangerous on the flanks, add in Klingenberg, who might be the most underrated defender we have making runs and it was a site to see and a lot fun to watch. Defensively, this was the toughest game we played due to some poor play in the center, but, Japan made the first goal they got a thing of beauty, no one in the world stops that setup, and the own goal, coulda happened to anyone.

All in all, GREAT fun to watch this team grow, and the coaching and style of play change based on the strengths of the players

Didn't watch it but saw the highlights. Nice to see a dominant victory for the US ladies.

It's a shame if former players don't step up and say their criticism of Ellis at the start of the tournament was probably incorrect. It's one thing to have a different philosophy than Ellis in how the team should play, but some people seem to make it personal. Media members I can understand not being quick to saying they were wrong. That would require media members to swallow their pride. That's hard for some of them to do.

It seems that those who are overly critical of someone are the ones who have the toughest time swallowing their pride and admitting they were wrong or too harsh.

[video]http://deadspin-vfs.cdn-ec.viddler.com/deadspin_1qn4g1xk9esmb37hp08sknqlo13voo.mp4?fd9f2a 1c14aadf1069f046ce63f41e2b798208bbb07e29e9f5938b5c 7fe765c905ecd88ff9ab02c115f65e4885a1f273a0d153294c 96780fef823f4f3e8b53666c840da3ce90ce1462621dcf1037 3105[/video]

...an entertaining clip of Andres Cantor calling all five US goals.

Last edited:

Can anyone fill me in on where Leroux disappeared in the knockout round?

She seemed to be among the most athletic and aggressive flankers that the US put out there and then she was just kind of benched. I fully expect that the answer could be "that's soccer", but I was wondering if there was another explanation.

TIA.

Leroux and Morgan both are natural 9's, true attacking forwards. Usually the solid play of one means the other sees the bench.

Although Morgan was struggling to finish, she was making great runs and getting scoring chances.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back