• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Women's bracketology

BGRed

Blackshirt
20 Year Member
From ESPN - I doubt that we'd get this rematch.

1670985026708.png

It seemingly took forever for Charlie Creme to give the Huskers any respect last season, so I've been waiting for him to go "all out" on Nebraska as soon as he could this season. His 1/13 update gets pretty close.

Creme's 1/13 bracketology update lists the Huskers as one of the "last four in." He has Nebraska as an 11-seed playing in one of the First Four games vs. 11-seed Virginia. EDIT: If this game happens in Greenville, SC, I'm definitely going to try to get tickets!

I wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska's listed in his "first four out" next update.

Last edited:

Charlie Creme's Bracketology update for January 17 still lists the Huskers as one of the "Last Four In." Creme still has the Huskers as an 11-seed, playing fellow 11-seed Missouri in one of the First Four games. Creme has the winner of that game flying out to Los Angeles to play #6 seed Gonzaga.

Instead of moving the Huskers to his list of "First Four Out" as I expected him to do, Creme took Virginia out of the tournament.

Creme has 7 Big Ten teams in the tournament: #1 Indiana, #1 Ohio State, #3 Michigan, #3 Iowa, #4 Maryland, #8 Illinois and #11 Nebraska.

With two games against Illinois and Iowa, and a road game at Michigan left on the schedule, IMO the Huskers definitely have an opportunity to solidify an at-large bid before the conference tournament.

Last edited:
ESPN now has us back to “last four in” at a 12 seed. I would think we may need to finish 5-2 in the regular season to get in. That would likely mean beating Illinois twice.

The 7 “in” for the B1G are:
Indiana - 1
Ohio State - 2
Iowa - 2
Maryland - 3
Michigan - 4
Illinois - 9
Purdue - 11

Creighton a 10 seed and in the last four byes.

ESPN now has us back to “last four in” at a 12 seed. I would think we may need to finish 5-2 in the regular season to get in. That would likely mean beating Illinois twice.

The 7 “in” for the B1G are:
Indiana - 1
Ohio State - 2
Iowa - 2
Maryland - 3
Michigan - 4
Illinois - 9
Purdue - 11

Creighton a 10 seed and in the last four byes.
That sounds almost mandatory. A month ago someone asked in the men's forum about what could be considered success. My response was, "Being consistently solid at home, picking off a few B1G road games, & being above .500 in conference would be success in my book".

To get above .500 the Husker ladies(NET39) will need to go at least 5 wins & 2 losses in the final 7 games. 2 losses aren't hard to imagine: Michigan(NET17) & Iowa(NET8). They should be expected to win at Minnesota(NET110) & home and away with Northwestern(NET114). That leaves the home & away with Illinois(NET35) which would be very good wins, but not easy. Beating them on the road could make the season if everything else is done properly.

It's too bad Huskers don't get a shot at Purdue(NET37) at home having already beaten them on the road. The road loss to Rutgers during that 10 day period after losing Weidner is the real outlier in the loss column. Perhaps that is made up by getting Maryland on the road as the conference opener.

If our ladies can do as well in the conference tourney as last season it would be a boost also. Hell, just win 'em all! :Hair Fire:

There are not many sites covering women's bracketology. ESPN is the most comprehensive; but, I've felt they tend to pump up certain teams/players based on who draws more eyeballs to the tournament (since they are televising).

There is one other site that projects the remaining games: https://www.omnirankings.com/

After projecting remaining games, they have the Huskers as one of the last ten teams in, receiving a bye.
1675696139553.png

Not a bad bracket assignment...although I don't really know much about Utah.
1675696186148.png

1675696228396.png

Last edited:
ESPN shows their bracket updated with a time stamp of 9:30 AM Eastern today (which is about an hour in the future... :oops: )

Anyway, we're hanging by a thread in the last four in after last's night's collapse.

1676035436963.png

1676035471160.png

We were beaten by 30 in Blacksburg earlier this season, so I'd think that the committee wouldn't send us there. If they'd simply swap Va Tech with North Carolina in the bracket spots, all conference rematches are solved.
1676035642068.png

ESPN shows their bracket updated with a time stamp of 9:30 AM Eastern today (which is about an hour in the future... :oops: )

Anyway, we're hanging by a thread in the last four in after last's night's collapse.

View attachment 93804
View attachment 93805

We were beaten by 30 in Blacksburg earlier this season, so I'd think that the committee wouldn't send us there. If they'd simply swap Va Tech with North Carolina in the bracket spots, all conference rematches are solved.View attachment 93806

View attachment 93804
View attachment 93805

We were beaten by 30 in Blacksburg earlier this season, so I'd think that the committee wouldn't send us there. If they'd simply swap Va Tech with North Carolina in the bracket spots, all conference rematches are solved.View attachment 93806

I was stunned to see he kept the Huskers in the tournament. IMO, they could assure themselves of an at-large bid by winning at Michigan today or beating Iowa at home. IMO, they could also end up out of the tournament discussion (before the conference tournament, which could obviously change things a lot) by losing to Minnesota and/or at Illinois and NW.

As I suspected, the KU win isn't looking as great as it did earlier in the season. IMO the Big 12 has been almost as brutal as the Big Ten this year. Kansas is 16-7 and their only OOC loss is to the Huskers. Everybody in that conference is .500 or better overall except TCU. OTOH, the win over Mississippi State is holding up well, they're 17-7 and 6-5 in the SEC.

IMO VT either finishes the regular season as a top 2-3 seed or lower than a 4 seed. Their schedule the rest of the season is brutal, and it will either really help them or really hurt them. They finish at home against #19 FSU, #9 Duke and #22 NC State and at #14 UNC. They're 11-1 in Blacksburg, so they could legitimately win three of those games. If they win all four (UNC is also 11-1 at home) I think that definitely has to move them up, or if nothing else, guarantees they stay home in Blacksburg.

As expected following a bad loss to Minnesota, ESPN has moved us out of the tournament bracket. On the plus side, he has us as the first team out, so win some games down the stretch and we are back in.

1676649549826.png

Sadly, the Huskers have tumbled to Charlie Creme's "Next Four Out" list. Unless the team pulls off an upset and beats Illinois on the road, IMO they're going to have to really do some work in the B1G tournament to make the Big Dance.

Creme has 7 Big Ten teams in the field: #1 seed Indiana (Greenville 2), #2 UMD (Greenville 1), #6 tOSU (Greenville 2, 1st round in Blacksburg, VA); #2 Iowa (Seattle 4); #9 Illinois (Seattle 3); $4 Michigan (Seattle 3); #10 Purdue (Seattle 3). Depending on conference tournament upsets, IMO either the Huskers or the Illini get in but not both.

FireShot Capture 001 - NCAA Women's Bracketology - 2023 women's college basketball projectio_ ...png

Last edited:
We have moved up to “second team out” status, but our last game and first conference tourney game are against bad competition that will keep us from moving up with wins — and usually a few of the minor conference tournaments result in a surprise team getting in. So I still think the clearest way to get in is beat the #1 seed in the quarterfinals. GBR!

Last edited:

That Minnesota loss was a killer. I would have thought that beating a top 25 team on the road (by a lot) would have given us a bigger bump; but Charlie has consistently undervalued us over the years (in my opinion).

We need these other teams above us to lose some games.
1677284744306.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back