• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

William Kyle SDSU (Portal) > UCLA

Nebraska hasn't been able to get a true big center since maybe Maric! Purdue finds the big 7 footers all the time.
A quality big man wants a system that will allow him to showcase his talent, and that likely would mean in an offense as well as on defense. He’ll want to have the opportunity to develop, and that means a coach with a track record of big man success. There are only a handful of teams with that kind of reputation, and Purdue is one.

We’ve attracted some guys who were also being recruited by some high profile teams, but they were all raw talent. The changes in the game in recent years, having it become a Guard and Wing heavy game, has put development of big kids well behind what it used to be. There aren’t many high level bigs out there, which means raw kids. They take coaching and patience, and that hasn’t come together for us, as we’ve seen a revolving door of post recruits beyond Walker.

Perception is important. To Fred’s credit, he did make an adjustment in his offense. Running some of the offense through Walker, and his success in it, got us Mast. We've needed to have a presence that can protect the rim, be a strong rebounder, set some picks, and not inhibit the offensive flow. The challenge has been for Fred to create a few sets that will give some of those raw bigs minutes, giving them a chance to mesh with the rest of the roster and throw them the occasional offensive bone. At this point it feels like a classic Center is a square peg in a round hole, and we certainly aren't going to be attracting quality players with that reputation. I'm not even a recruiter and I think I could convince a kid not to go to Nebraska if they are predominately an inside player.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back