• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why Nebraska’s Tommy Armstrong Jr. is out to prove to NFL scouts that he’s ‘more than just a quarter

Maybe the worst analogy ever. LOL.
Substitute one sentence.
Maybe the worst analogy ever. LOL.
Take two math classrooms filled with kids with DIFFERENT
abilities. Some really good, some not as good. Give them the same books, the same amount of classroom instruction, but have two people teaching them. The really talented class excels, the other struggles. Is that a failing of the student or teacher? GBR!!!

Our players aren't the fastest or the strongest in the country, but they are still stronger and faster than almost every team we play. We need to have better effort and technique than our opponents, too. I don't see that from this team, and I feel that is less on the players than it is the coaches.

Take two math classrooms filled with kids of reasonably similar abilities. Give them the same books, the same amount of classroom instruction, but have two different people teaching them. One class excels, the other struggles. Is that a failing of the students or the teacher?

:Lol: But I'm sure you saw it with the last staff, right? Darn, if only Riley and Langsdorf hadn't have taught Tommy to throw off his back foot...into double or triple coverage...30 or 40 yards downfield...when guys were open for first downs underneath...as a 4th year senior starter...he may have been an All-American. Of course, none of that was on Tommy since his apparent lack of progression obviously had to be because of coaches who put a lot of guys in the NFL who didn't have any reason to be there. LOL Regarding the O-line, yes, they need to get better, but we've been saying that for 15+ years. So go ahead, keep stoking the flames of the agenda train.

:Lol: But I'm sure you saw it with the last staff, right? Darn, if only Riley and Langsdorf hadn't have taught Tommy to throw off his back foot...into double or triple coverage...30 or 40 yards downfield...when guys were open for first downs underneath...as a 4th year senior starter...he may have been an All-American. Of course, none of that was on Tommy since his apparent lack of progression obviously had to be because of coaches who put a lot of guys in the NFL who didn't have any reason to be there. LOL Regarding the O-line, yes, they need to get better, but we've been saying that for 15+ years. So go ahead, keep stoking the flames of the agenda train.

I didn't say anything about the previous staff. Why do you want to turn everything into Riley v. Pelini?

I didn't say anything about the previous staff. Why do you want to turn everything into Riley v. Pelini?

Say? No. Insinuate with the intent to bait? Always. We all know who really has the Riley vs Pelini fetish. Nothing Riley does short of a national championship will be good enough for you. Kind of strange coming from such a level-headed guy. By level-headed I mean someone who's a big fan of those who plateau and never progress after a certain point like TA and Bo. You'll defend them to the death, but Riley could give you the winning lotto numbers and you would still find a reason to scoff at him.

Say? No. Insinuate with the intent to bait? Always. We all know who really has the Riley vs Pelini fetish. Nothing Riley does short of a national championship will be good enough for you. Kind of strange coming from such a level-headed guy. By level-headed I mean someone who's a big fan of those who plateau and never progress after a certain point like TA and Bo. You'll defend them to the death, but Riley could give you the winning lotto numbers and you would still find a reason to scoff at him.

You really need to get a grip. Wow.

Our players aren't the fastest or the strongest in the country, but they are still stronger and faster than almost every team we play. We need to have better effort and technique than our opponents, too. I don't see that from this team, and I feel that is less on the players than it is the coaches.

Take two math classrooms filled with kids of reasonably similar abilities. Give them the same books, the same amount of classroom instruction, but have two different people teaching them. One class excels, the other struggles. Is that a failing of the students or the teacher?
I agree with the first paragraph. The last is a stretch. There were plenty of QBs TA played against that had more natural passing ability than TA. So that is where the analogy falls apart.

I agree with the first paragraph. The last is a stretch. There were plenty of QBs TA played against that had more natural passing ability than TA. So that is where the analogy falls apart.
Thom, I think what too many people are forgetting is that football is the ultimate TEAM game. Of course there are players with better natural passing ability than Armstrong. But there are 10 other players out there that all should be working in tandem. A single player doesn't experience success or failure in a vacuum. And it's up to the coaches to get guys in the right places and understanding and executing their role.

Thom, I think what too many people are forgetting is that football is the ultimate TEAM game. Of course there are players with better natural passing ability than Armstrong. But there are 10 other players out there that all should be working in tandem. A single player doesn't experience success or failure in a vacuum. And it's up to the coaches to get guys in the right places and understanding and executing their role.
This makes sense, and I think the coach's did put the players in the right places, unless you think they should of played T.A. At receiver or running back, because it was obvious to anyone watching that he couldn't read defenses or go through his progressions. These coach's have proven they can get the qb's to understand and execute their roles as they have did that with a number of other not so highly rated qb's that went to the nfl. but for whatever reason, these coach's and previous staff could not get T.A to understand or execute his role or his technique. There is a reason he isn't trying out for qb's in the nfl, and there is NO way that is on the coach's(this staff or previous staff.GBR!!!

Last edited:
TA had his strengths, and he had a good college career, but his skills did not include those required of a competent power 5 conference passer. If you recall the Spring practice of the first year MR and his staff was here, they spent a lot of time trying to find some passing QB among those on the roster. There just wasn't one, nor did it appear that there would be for either of the first two years they were to be here. TA was their best chance to win games, and they recognized that a team with him as QB, unless it had a roster of stars which NU's didn't, would have a hard time winning very often. So they did the best they could and then got submarined the 2d year with the loss of their starting and back up roster at DT. Then they lost the best weapon they had -- the All American punter. Try though they did, they simply could not make TA into a serviceable passing QB and they didn't have the talent at RB or on the OL to create a running attack that would make up for poor passing. It was 1 and 1/2 yards a pop when we played a good opponent. Then the lack of a rush end showed up to further weaken the defense. I think its a miracle (and a good coaching job) that they won as many as they did this past year.

I can give you a perfect example where one guy, the QB, TOTALLY dictated how his team fared and he was THE player that made a team lose. The Ohio St QB who took over when Brandon Miller was injured against Nebraska when Nebraska came back from a 17 or so point deficit during the yr when OSU had their interim coach. We all know what happened. That game was only lost by OSU because their starter was injured and the backup QB was ridiculously bad. Huskers do not win that game if Miller doesn't get injured. So that one game totally refutes your point as YES, ONE guy, the MOST IMPORTANT player on your team who touches the football on EVERY play...if he isn't good, your ENTIRE team goes down the tubes, in most games, unless your team is playing a far inferior team, obviously. So don't say one player plays in a vacuum. That QB played in a vacuum that sucked OSU into a loss against the Huskers due strictly to his poor play. That is all. Refute that!

I can give you a perfect example where one guy, the QB, TOTALLY dictated how his team fared and he was THE player that made a team lose. The Ohio St QB who took over when Brandon Miller was injured against Nebraska when Nebraska came back from a 17 or so point deficit during the yr when OSU had their interim coach. We all know what happened. That game was only lost by OSU because their starter was injured and the backup QB was ridiculously bad. Huskers do not win that game if Miller doesn't get injured. So that one game totally refutes your point as YES, ONE guy, the MOST IMPORTANT player on your team who touches the football on EVERY play...if he isn't good, your ENTIRE team goes down the tubes, in most games, unless your team is playing a far inferior team, obviously. So don't say one player plays in a vacuum. That QB played in a vacuum that sucked OSU into a loss against the Huskers due strictly to his poor play. That is all. Refute that!

He was too busy watching a few people leave in the upper deck to notice. Worst fans in America!

I agree that a team needs to work in tandem, that goes without saying. However, the QB position is THE most important on the team simply for the fact that he touches the ball every play. If he is ineffective that plays a larger role than at other positions.

This has been refuted many times already, but I'll do it again for your benefit.

Let's start with the first, most obvious error: the OSU quarterback was Braxton Miller, not Brandon Miller.

But whatever his name, Miller played most of the game. And even more importantly, the comeback was well under way when he left the game. Ohio State led 27-6 early in the 3rd quarter. Miller (not his replacement, Joe Bauserman) fumbled the ball and Nebraska recovered. The Huskers marched down the field and got the score to 27-13. Ohio State, with Miller still at the helm, got the ball back and punted it back to the Huskers. Nebraska drove 80 yards and scored again to make it 27-20. Bauserman finished the game and was definitely ineffective, but Nebraska scored two more touchdowns on drives of over 70 yards, then ran out the final 4 minutes of the game with a 10 play drive to come away with the win.

While the Buckeye offense faltered late in the game, it was our offense piercing their defense that led to the comeback and put the game away.

I'm not sure why you and others want to diminish such a great win, our first at home as a member of the Big Ten.

A great quarterback helps, but isn't required for a team to be pretty successful. That's true at all levels of football.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back