• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Why Johnny Stanton didn't make 250 from rivals guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no interest in Rivals moving any of our guys to the top. Every year, we lead the nation in 4* players outside the top 250. I don't have the numbers, but seriously we have one or two every year at least and there are generally only 30-50 or so who meet that criteria. To me, that tells me all I need to know. So they will move Stanton into that 4*-outside -250-abyss and say "that's good enough for the likes of Husker fans, now let's take care of our big money markets."

It's business, nothing personal. Problem is, it helps schools like USC to escape the cesspool of their own incompetence all those years to become the ESPN/Rivals/Scout created powerhouse they have been created into. It really is a form of cheating, but cheating will always be there and we might as well get used to it.

We do get the benefit of some bumps as Rivals/Scout and the others realize they have to throw us a bone every now and again, we just aren't gonna get the bone packed with meat.

Agree 100%. The only thing that makes the ESPN/Rivals/Scout agenda bearable for me is knowing that for years they've been trying so desperately to do the same thing for Notre Dame without success. ND will probably have another year finishing unranked in the polls, but they're almost guaranteed another great recruiting class.

IMO Rivals is getting too critical in their assesments of players anymore. They used to be right on in most cases, and now it seems that they are searching for 1st round draft picks, and everyone else is a meh and almost not good enough for them. I really like what 247 is doing and I think they are making a case for the better of the services out there.
247 was created by the founder of rivals. Shannon Terry sold rivals to yahoo then created 247 Sports. 247 is the most legitimate recruiting site period. No politics or agendas just passion for college football and recruiting.

Interesting Stanton is 4-star rated by 247, Scout and ESPN....but not Rivals....

Also they were 'panning' him during the Elite 11 while the coaches for the event were singing his praises....

From what I have seen he throws the ball quite well and is only getting better....

Gorney is entitled to his opinion....seems most folks disagree....

For Rivals to put 21 QBs in their Top 250 and not include Johnny Stanton hurts their credibility IMPO. There is no way he is not one of the top 10-15 QBs in the country.

Agree....they are not even trying to hide their bias anymore...

For Rivals to put 21 QBs in their Top 250 and not include Johnny Stanton hurts their credibility IMPO. There is no way he is not one of the top 10-15 QBs in the country.

who cares...we want him...he wanted us ....we are happy

Totally agree, not defending them whatsoever, because I disagree with them but if you dont like what they have to say, its plain and simple, dont read it. We got our guy, and he will prove them wrong!!!

There is no interest in Rivals moving any of our guys to the top. Every year, we lead the nation in 4* players outside the top 250. I don't have the numbers, but seriously we have one or two every year at least and there are generally only 30-50 or so who meet that criteria. To me, that tells me all I need to know. So they will move Stanton into that 4*-outside -250-abyss and say "that's good enough for the likes of Husker fans, now let's take care of our big money markets."

It's business, nothing personal. Problem is, it helps schools like USC to escape the cesspool of their own incompetence all those years to become the ESPN/Rivals/Scout created powerhouse they have been created into. It really is a form of cheating, but cheating will always be there and we might as well get used to it.

We do get the benefit of some bumps as Rivals/Scout and the others realize they have to throw us a bone every now and again, we just aren't gonna get the bone packed with meat.

I'm not really following exactly what you are getting at with the bolded part. Are you saying they rank higher in recruiting ranking because those services give their recruits more "stars"?

Maybe that's the case. But the facts on the field don't lie. USC had a couple 4-5 loss seasons there for a couple years but were rolling before than and were 10-2 last year and many are picking them to win it all this year. That's not some recruiting ranking mirage. If they were a perennial 4 or 5 loss team I could see the point. But the fact is they are putting a better team on the field than Nebraska...and I don't think it's all due to superior coaching.

If I misunderstood your post, my apologies.

We also seem to lead in 4*'s who are only 5.8 by Rivals. I wonder what would've happened to Lacouture's ranking if he'd committed to LSU especially since he's performed so well at summer camps. Hmm. It's fun to follow, but I don't get worked up about it anymore.

You never really know what will happen until they actual set foot on the practice field. I remember Lucky was the surefire stud and potential future pro and Helu was maybe a better linebacker prospect according to Rivals. I know no one bats .1000 but how'd that one turn out?

We also seem to lead in 4*'s who are only 5.8 by Rivals. I wonder what would've happened to Lacouture's ranking if he'd committed to LSU especially since he's performed so well at summer camps. Hmm. It's fun to follow, but I don't get worked up about it anymore.

You never really know what will happen until they actual set foot on the practice field. I remember Lucky was the surefire stud and potential future pro and Helu was maybe a better linebacker prospect according to Rivals. I know no one bats .1000 but how'd that one turn out?

You could do "this guy v. that guy" all day long. But it's too narrow a view. A better way to judge is look at the teams that recruit the "best" and look at the teams that perform the best on the field...over a period of years and you'd get a better idea of which services are doing a better job.

I almost feel sorry for a guy who gets "5*"....under almost no circumstances can a guy like that ever over perform...and it's nearly impossible to live up to those expectations. The ones that flame out stick out like a sore thumb. And the ones that flourish...everyone simply talks about their college accomplishments and doesn't mention that he was a "5*" 4-5 years ago. In other words people really only talk about the ratings services MISSES 2-3-4 years down the road.

Disclaimer: I subscribe to ZERO services. Never visit any of their websites. And don't get very excited about any recruit. I've always been the kind that somewhat keeps up on what's happening, casually care about the rankings (I think they do tell a story) but generally forget about these players for a year or two.

Last edited:
;):Biggrin:

‏<S>@</S>BornToBeRed247 Can't hit the broad side of the barn, can he Rivals? RT <S>@</S>SMRecruits Stanton played two series: 8-of-12 passing, 138 yards 1 TD, 0 INT.

‏<S>@</S>BornToBeRed247
Yea, really lacks accuracy. C'mon. Ridiculous. RT <S>@</S>SMRecruits Stanton had completions of 18, 22, 28, 6, 18, 11, 23 and 12.

‏<S>@</S>BornToBeRed247

Trent Dilfer drools over <S>#</S>Huskers commit Johnny Stanton. Rivals' Adam Gorney says "He has a tough time throwing an accurate ball." Love it.

Last edited:
You could do "this guy v. that guy" all day long. But it's too narrow a view. A better way to judge is look at the teams that recruit the "best" and look at the teams that perform the best on the field...over a period of years and you'd get a better idea of which services are doing a better job.

Actually that is not true. All that tells you is which services do the best job of predicting which schools have the best chance of winning. I could start my own service, pay absolutely little to no attention to actually scouting players, follow the top ranked teams around, and rate up their offered players and probably with a little cleverness on my part, fool people into believing I know what I am talking about. The proof in the pudding would be if one of the teams unexpectedly underachieves. Does anybody really believe that Notre Dame keeps losing with all those highly rated players? The services are guessing that they are going to turn it around and are basically like insider-traders trying to invest in the Notre Dame turnaround. Does anybody really believe that the 6-6 Miami team was loaded with 5* superstars a few years back. That all of those pathetic Florida State offensive dud teams were loaded with 5* offensive players? Again, the services followed those schools around and simply rated up their offered players. Seemed like a pretty smart bet, huh? Follow Alabama, LSU, USC, Texas, Notre Dame, Florida, and few choice others around, and even if you know absolutely NOTHING about football, chances are, you will come out okay.

Last edited:

;):Biggrin:

‏<s>@</s>BornToBeRed247 Can't hit the broad side of the barn, can he Rivals? RT <s>@</s>SMRecruits Stanton played two series: 8-of-12 passing, 138 yards 1 TD, 0 INT.

‏<s>@</s>BornToBeRed247
Yea, really lacks accuracy. C'mon. Ridiculous. RT <s>@</s>SMRecruits Stanton had completions of 18, 22, 28, 6, 18, 11, 23 and 12.

‏<s>@</s>BornToBeRed247

Trent Dilfer drools over <s>#</s>Huskers commit Johnny Stanton. Rivals' Adam Gorney says "He has a tough time throwing an accurate ball." Love it.

Was BornToBeRed247 at the Elite 11???? Just curious.

I'm not really following exactly what you are getting at with the bolded part. Are you saying they rank higher in recruiting ranking because those services give their recruits more "stars"?

Maybe that's the case. But the facts on the field don't lie. USC had a couple 4-5 loss seasons there for a couple years but were rolling before than and were 10-2 last year and many are picking them to win it all this year. That's not some recruiting ranking mirage. If they were a perennial 4 or 5 loss team I could see the point. But the fact is they are putting a better team on the field than Nebraska...and I don't think it's all due to superior coaching.

If I misunderstood your post, my apologies.

When Pete Carroll was hired by USC, their program was a joke. No one cared about USC football. Their stadium was empty most game days, they had been a joke for over a decade. ESPN began an all out campaign to promote USC as one of the very top programs in the country. They plugged the program every chance they had, never missing an opportunity. They did not talk about USC being an up and coming program, they talked about USC as if they were one of he top programs in the country and that they had been for decades. That certainly helps recruiting. Really, the last week of January and first week of February every year it is just a coincidence that they would do story after story about how wonderful the USC campus was and how great USC was. Just a coincidence. That is my point and it is only one example of many. Notre Dame is another example but as robrored pointed out, it isn't working so well. But they'll keep trying. There is too much money at stake for them to stop.

The integrity issue that I see with College Football is that the TV Networks can help any college they want in recruiting just by hyping those selected programs. It has always been there and this is not necessarily a Nebraska issue because we do get generally favorable coverage most of the time. It will never go away but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be called on it every once in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back