• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why is Gerrod Lambrecht allowed to do NIL deals for NU players?

Most likely, the shell company scenario probably already exists. My dad always told me, “ Where there is money, there are thieves.”

What UT boosters did, or at least have talked about doing, in setting up a fund to lure OL to Austin I think may actually involve a shell company of some kind.

The truly stupid thing about all this is that the NCAA has punted/abdicated on this apparently because the schools don't want the entire "amateur" model (which is a joke already, but I digress...) to be destroyed in court. But their adbication on the NIL issue hasn't stopped that freight train. The legal effort to get college athletes declared employees has continued. If the school presidents and their laywers had a lick of sense they'd realize that model is probably best for them.

“Earlier this year Frost and GERROD LAMBRECHT were key proponents, along with other administrators, in trying to drop Nebraska’s Sept 18 game at Oklahoma, a source said.
In March, I reported Nebraska was trying to get out of playing OU, marking the 50th anniversary of the 1971 OU-NU Game of the Century. Nebraska contacted several Group of 5 Conference schools to replace Oklahoma on the schedule, sources told me.
However, once my report became public, the negative blow back from Nebraska’s fan base forced the Huskers to play the game as scheduled.
Frost and GERROD LAMBRECHT shopped around trying to find a replacement game for Oklahoma without the permission of (then athletic director) Bill Moos,” a source said. “Frost was in favor of removing the Oklahoma game.”
Moos, who announced his retirement as NU’s AD three months later in June, “jumped on the grenade for that debacle,” and took the public relations hit, a source said.”

I’m curious who the “other administrators” were. Matt Davison?

“Earlier this year Frost and GERROD LAMBRECHT were key proponents, along with other administrators, in trying to drop Nebraska’s Sept 18 game at Oklahoma, a source said.
In March, I reported Nebraska was trying to get out of playing OU, marking the 50th anniversary of the 1971 OU-NU Game of the Century. Nebraska contacted several Group of 5 Conference schools to replace Oklahoma on the schedule, sources told me.
However, once my report became public, the negative blow back from Nebraska’s fan base forced the Huskers to play the game as scheduled.
Frost and GERROD LAMBRECHT shopped around trying to find a replacement game for Oklahoma without the permission of (then athletic director) Bill Moos,” a source said. “Frost was in favor of removing the Oklahoma game.”
Moos, who announced his retirement as NU’s AD three months later in June, “jumped on the grenade for that debacle,” and took the public relations hit, a source said.”

I’m curious who the “other administrators” were. Matt Davison?

It may have included Davison, but I'm not sure if he, Frost or Lambrecht would have had the legal and financial authority to get NU out of that series. The "other administrators" may have included somebody in the president's or chancellor's office who would have had the legal and financial authority to sign off on whatever replacement game they found. Otherwise, they would have had to go to Moos and get him to sign off on it, which they obviously knew was a non-starter. They wouldn't have kept him out of the loop in the first place if it wasn't.

What I really don't understand is why Moos willingly "jumped on the grenade." Based on what's come out since the firing, I think enough stuff had happened up to that point for Frost and several other people's goose to be cooked by the time of the OU game debacle. What Frost and Lambrecht did clearly violated the chain of command in the AD and could have been grounds to fire them for cause. IMO Moos wouldn't have been blamed for firing Frost at that point, or for hiring him in the first place.

If somebody does eventually write a book about this mess, IMO one of the only pieces of information that we don't yet know is if Frost's "issues" began at UCF or began after he came back to NU. The only degrogetory thing I think that could ever be said about Moos is if he knew Frost was a bad hire and did it anyway. Even that criticism would be unfair IMO because everybody wanted Frost.

Last edited:
It may have included Davison, but I'm not sure if he, Frost or Lambrecht would have had the legal and financial authority to get NU out of that series. The "other administrators" may have included somebody in the president's or chancellor's office who would have had the legal and financial authority to sign off on whatever replacement game they found. Otherwise, they would have had to go to Moos and get him to sign off on it, which they obviously knew was a non-starter. They wouldn't have kept him out of the loop in the first place if it wasn't.

What I really don't understand is why Moos willingly "jumped on the grenade." Based on what's come out since the firing, I think enough stuff had happened up to that point for Frost and several other people's goose to be cooked by the time of the OU game debacle. What Frost and Lambrecht did clearly violated the chain of command in the AD and could have been grounds to fire them for cause. IMO Moos wouldn't have been blamed for firing Frost at that point, or for hiring him in the first place.

If somebody does eventually write a book about this mess, IMO one of the only pieces of information that we don't yet know is if Frost's "issues" began at UCF or began after he came back to NU. The only degrogetory thing I think that could ever be said about Moos is if he knew Frost was a bad hire and did it anyway. Even that criticism would be unfair IMO because everybody wanted Frost.

I think the issue for Moos would have been that ADs rarely get to make big coaching hire mistakes and keep their jobs. As it was, he got to ride into the sunset on his own terms instead of being fired.

Last edited:

Some of Frost's character issues have been there since he was a player, such as him being way too cocky and arrogant, but as far as his commitment to his job and running the program to the best of his ability, I think he fell off the horse sometime during the second season. Things really went south fast from there.

Well now that it is out. This is the guy that took a large cooler of Busch light to the off site practices during Covid for the players to grab afterwards. My source? One of the 19 year olds that grabbed one. Lucky the NCAA didn’t want to touch that one with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back