• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why does Kent Pavelka not do football games anymore?

When he was negotiating a new contract, I believe he made some unrealistic demands that turned off the other side.
That's my recollection as well. Wasn't it a new broadcast partner though when Rose left? If so, I wonder why they didn't reach out to Kent? I think Sharpe is fine, definitely better than the last two guys before him. Nobody brings the passion like Kent though, I know some think he's corny, no pun intended, but that never bothered me.

That's my recollection as well. Wasn't it a new broadcast partner though when Rose left? If so, I wonder why they didn't reach out to Kent? I think Sharpe is fine, definitely better than the last two guys before him. Nobody brings the passion like Kent though, I know some think he's corny, no pun intended, but that never bothered me.
Yeah, I don't know. Doesn't Pavelka do basketball? I know he still did sideline reporting for TV games, even back when the university was negotiating PPV for stuff, so it's not like there's some permanently damaged relationship.

I know a lot of people didn't like him back in the day, but a lot of people also complained about Osborne and McBride, so there's that...

Yeah, I don't know. Doesn't Pavelka do basketball? I know he still did sideline reporting for TV games, even back when the university was negotiating PPV for stuff, so it's not like there's some permanently damaged relationship.

I know a lot of people didn't like him back in the day, but a lot of people also complained about Osborne and McBride, so there's that...
He does do basketball still. I wanna say he did both when he was doing football as well.

I believe some broadcast partners changed as well so that is part of the equation. I don’t mind Sharp. Benning has been a bit of a let down to me as he is so bland…. But a hell of an improvement over Davidson. I perhaps had to high of expectations for Damon.
We have had some good radio guys over the years, Kent Pavelka, Lyle Bremser, Gary Sadlemyer, Ray Scott? Adrian Fiala…

Last edited:
When he was negotiating a new contract, I believe he made some unrealistic demands that turned off the other side.
Kent picked the wrong lawyer at the time. A banty rooster who completely misunderstood the amount of leverage he had, made exorbitant demands akin to Kent being a literal rock star, and went tough guy in negotiations. Pissed Byrne off and that was that. It was actually Pedersen who let bygones be bygones, and hired KP back on to do basketball.

I could handle Kent back in the day the one who drove me nuts and still does on KFAB in the mornings is JIM ROSE the man is a complete Horse's rear and still to this day thinks he is the one and only Husker Knowledge person

I believe some broadcast partners changed as well so that is part of the equation. I don’t mind Sharp. Benning has been a bit of a let down to me as he is so bland…. But a hell of an improvement over Davidson. I perhaps had to high of expectations for Damon.
We have had some good radio guys over the years, Kent Pavelka, Lyle Bremser, Gary Sadlemyer, Ray Scott? Adrian Fiala…
Yes but Damon offers actual football insight

Yes but Damon offers actual football insight

I’d just like to hear more animation. Damon seems to be too much of a cerebral intellectual for a color guy in my opinion…. But then I think Paul Allen is a great broadcaster for the Vikings. His animation paints a picture.
Dan Deirdorf was also one I liked whom many disliked. Dan would be going on about trench warfare while Al Micheals and Frank Gifford would be going on about race horses.
I guess my point is, I like Damon, don’t love him. Everyone has their own expectations in a broadcast… I guess some would be fine if the screen was split so that Taylor swift could have equal coverage. To each there own.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back