• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who Left The NU Program In Worst Shape?

How about this ...... temporarily drop NU football program. 2 or 3 years hiatus. Restart ...... 2024 or 2025.

Just like UAB Blazers from 2014 thru 2017. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAB_Blazers_football.

In the mean time, plenty of time to tear down south & north stands and design 2-deck replacement. Then, new BIG video board screen. And replace beautiful natural grass instead of crappy Fieldturf.

Kind of funny, yeah, Kelly did Okay at ND. But several friends who were ND alumni from the Lou Holtz era absolutely despise him, to the level that their interest in ND Football dropped off (returning with his leaving).

Subsequently, you are seeing more negative comments about him coming out of LSU (critics who were silenced by his "success" at ND).

Personally, I thought reasonably well of Kelly based on Cincy and while I understand his ND critics, he kept them in the mix at ND and was an improvement over many of the post-Holtz jokers. Kelly is a "my scheme" guy; but to date it worked decently. Be interesting how he works at LSU, I see him getting a much different type of athlete "personality" at LSU than ND, and he may run into issues there.
Before Kelly was hired, the national press seemed to be unanimous in their belief that Notre Dame was old news and would never be relevant again. Similar to much of the press regarding Nebraska today. He made Notre Dame relevant again. They may not have won a NC, but most years they had a very good team and were sometimes in the mix. He completely changed the narrative around ND.

All I know is that the blowout losses had finally stopped under Frost, and then the first game that he's not on the sideline ends up as a blowout.

Frost wasn't successful overall, but the players he left behind are certainly capable. The next coach has gaps to fill for sure, but they aren't giant gaping holes.

This is still fresh, so it's no surprise how the poll looks today. Ask again in a couple of years.

That game would still have been a blowout with SF on the sideline.

C

Last edited:
From my perspective, I just cannot buy the argument of sub-par recruiting for a very long time. I can argue sub-par development since the Callahan years. I was never much enamored with our O-Line even when Callahan was here. Barney didn't do a much better job under Bo. Riley didn't do that great a job, and it has continued to be a fiasco under Frost & Austin. We continually get respectable O-Line recruits but never seem to get them developed. Many have gone on to have decent NFL careers often as UDFA.

We have to absolutely solve the development issue. What seems to be going on with the losing out on even in-State talent is we have been exposed on poor development. Why would any kid come to DONU if we have such a poor track record? We are taking decent players and they get worse over time, not better. We take four stars and turn them into two stars or less. If anything, the poor development got worse under Frost than it was under his predecessors, and they were hardly any great shakes.

Good take about players getting worse under Scotty and Duval's leadership. It is why so many first year players are NU's most productive year in and year out the past 5 years.

C

On what do you base that? All of the recent history would suggest otherwise.

Well I assume you think the offense would have put up more points if he was here because Scotty does not coach defense. My eyes tell me that the talent of OU and what coach V. is doing on defense they would still have shut down the Scotty/Whipple offense.

Last years defense with the super seniors is what kept NU so close, this year the defense is atrocious.

So because Scotty lost to NW(bad team), and GSU(bad team) by one score somehow that translates to playing within one score of the #8 team in the country? I want what you are smoking.

C

Last edited:
Well I assume you think the offense would have put up more points if he was here because Scotty does not coach defense. My eyes tell me that the talent of OU and what coach V. is doing on defense they would still have shut down the Scotty/Whipple offense.

Last years defense with the super seniors is what kept NU so close, this year the defense is atrocious.

So because Scotty lost to NW(bad team), and GSU(bad team) by one score somehow that translates to playing within one score of the #8 team in the country? I want what you are smoking.

C
Isn't that essentially the pattern we saw last year?

Isn't that essentially the pattern we saw last year?

Nothing I say will change you mind that Scotty would have played OU to within a one score game so I am not going to bother anymore.

Scotty just needed more time to get his players...

Am I Right GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

C

On what do you base that? All of the recent history would suggest otherwise.

We had the same coordinators calling plays for OU as we did in the prior three games. This wasn't Frost's offense this season. This wasn't 2018-2021. Frost's role was much different. And this year's defense may be in the lead for the worst I've ever seen at Nebraska.

Also, the first three games this season -- I can't think of three consecutive games where we looked worse -- against very mediocre (at best) competition. Most had us pegged at 3-0 to start the season. Worst case was 2-1. We went 1-2 against trash.

What do you think Frost's presence last Saturday would have done to make the game close?

We had the same coordinators calling plays for OU as we did in the prior three games. This wasn't Frost's offense this season. This wasn't 2018-2021. Frost's role was much different. And this year's defense may be in the lead for the worst I've ever seen at Nebraska.

Also, the first three games this season -- I can't think of three consecutive games where we looked worse -- against very mediocre (at best) competition. Most had us pegged at 3-0 to start the season. Worst case was 2-1. We went 1-2 against trash.

What do you think Frost's presence last Saturday would have done to make the game close?
I don't know. Did you expect games against highly ranked opponents to go well last year?

All he stated was, that was the pattern we saw last year,

Why the anger?

Anger? LOL. I am hardly ever angry.

My point was the pattern last year has zero bearing on this year as was apparent by the defensive performance this year. Unless you and vill think the defense is performing as well as last year.

C

I don't know. Did you expect games against highly ranked opponents to go well last year?

Last years team was way different that this years. Many first year players starting, transfers, loss of super seniors on defense, loss of Cam, AM, and AA on offense. Coaching changes, OC change, etc....

What actual performance metrics make you think that they would have played OU to a 49-45 loss? Other than two close losses to two bad teams.

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back