• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who is left for 2021

Well in the short term, we can't worry about Ohio St when it comes to recruiting. That's a level NU may never see. But we have to find a way to keep guys like TJ Bollers from going to our West rivals.
Shoulda kept Barry Alvarez. Please don't derail, but I had to say it, lol.

Well in the short term, we can't worry about Ohio St when it comes to recruiting. That's a level NU may never see. But we have to find a way to keep guys like TJ Bollers from going to our West rivals.
I guess I brought them up because he was ours until the snowstorm hit and he flipped that morning. Which is really frustrating. I wasn't quoting us missing out on five star studs they usually get.

I guess I brought them up because he was ours until the snowstorm hit and he flipped that morning. Which is really frustrating. I wasn't quoting us missing out on five star studs they usually get.

I get it, I guess I've learned to be ok with losing out on recruits to the likes of the big boys. This new phenomenon of losing battles to Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota is not making me happy.

I get it, I guess I've learned to be ok with losing out on recruits to the likes of the big boys. This new phenomenon of losing battles to Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota is not making me happy.
We are losing a lot of linebackers to Wisconsin, and I get it. They are top 10 nearly every year. Other than that, Nash was a huge win against them and Williams would be ours too. Ruud is doing a great job but OLB and DL we need to pick up steam.

If we can't recruit DL each class we're screwed. That's a position that I'm still very unsure of and (obviously) it's absolutely critical to defense.

Fisher will have the DB's playing lights out. He's proven. Just need some upfront help.

I think we are going to sorely miss the Davis twins. It is really hard to get pressure from your front 3, and he was a top 10 DL for sacks in 2019. And to your point, OLB has really struggled for getting impact recruits here. Caleb Tannor was your highest profile recruit, and he's already a junior with not much to be said for him. You have a bunch of guys that are safeties moving there, or SDE in high school that are now playing standup OLB (see Nelson) and that's sometimes tough. Meanwhile schools like Ohio State steal Javonte Jean-Baptiste from us and leave us wondering how we are going to get thru it.
Is Blaise Gunnerson a guy who could pull a Garrett Nelson and play standing up OLB, or have we already started beefing him up for DE? He’s one of those “in betweeners” who would make a great 4-3 End but needs to bulk up a lot to play end in a 3-4.

Is Blaise Gunnerson a guy who could pull a Garrett Nelson and play standing up OLB, or have we already started beefing him up for DE? He’s one of those “in betweeners” who would make a great 4-3 End but needs to bulk up a lot to play end in a 3-4.
It will be fascinating to watch Nelson develop. He played almost exclusively with his hand on the ground in high school so coverage was tough for him. Gunnerson I think is a bit more used to coverage stuff, but he just had both hips done for surgery (which is why he didn't have more offers). Hoping it's more like Gifford stuff for him than long term issues.

Definitely. Nebraska could put together top 20 classes every year if the bulk of it was coming from Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Colorado, Kansas, Minnesota, Illinois.

It's too bad Bo's recruiting vision was so bad because winning 9 games a year, he could have really taken advantage. If Frost gets Nebraska back to 9, 10 games a year and contending for the division year in and year out, he could assert himself throughout the region on the recruiting trail.

If you guys are the preeminent program in the region again, you couple that with a very appealing offense and you're in business. Colorado and Missouri (been saying this for a decade) have double-digit four-star kids every year between them. Neither program is putting a fence around its borders on the recruiting trail. They didn't when they were at their peak, they sure as heck aren't doing it any time soon. Those programs are keeping some of those kids home based purely on location. Nebraska gets its sh*t together and you can give those kids a much better option, along with the location factor.

Illinois (also been saying this for years) is up for grabs too and that state has tons of talent. Lovie Smith hasn't locked down that state by any means. He pays as much attention to the transfer market as he does the local HS talent in Chicago. Nebraska should have someone on staff with ties to that area, for sure. Throw in Iowa, where they could be on the verge of a regime change and there's opportunity to step into that vacuum.

You get 15 kids a year from the 500-mile radius, then you can go out to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, California, etc. to get your class QB. Use the appeal of the offense to get kids like Wan'Dale, Fleming, Morrison, etc.

You fill up with local kids who are used to the landscape and culture. Then you can be even more picky and do a better job of vetting the kids in Florida, California, etc. that your recruiting to play 1500 miles from home.
BTW, this means that I agree.
thumb_thats-a-bold-strategy-cotton-lets-seeif-it-pays-off-2908447.png

Last edited:

It was a few years ago we were going up against Wyoming, Louisville, Memphis, Cincy, etc. MN and IA are understandable for now with our recent poor play in the west. The tide is turning and we probably have more talent than both of them on the roster. Probably a lot closer to Wisky than it appears. We need work on the lines to start beating them but its just around the corner.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back