• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Which Teams REALLY Play A Tough Schedule?

It's one F-ing year in excruciating detail. Stop moving the goal posts. Pick a year in the 90s and look for yourself. If USC was good, then Notre Dame played a monstrously difficult schedule. If USC was down, well, just pretend that they weren't.
We’re talking about a far larger sample size then one year. It’s obvious you have a deep hatred for the Irish so nothing is going to convince you otherwise. Not even Ducks research and graphs that he laid out for you. Haters gonna hate.

Last edited:

It’s obvious you have a deep hatred for the Irish so nothing is going to convince you otherwise.
Oh, man, you're a card. Did you notice that in my long post that I said that I attended the '93 FSU-N.D. game? I hold no more ill will to N.D. than I do towards USC or any other perennial power.

This has turned into one of my conversations with argumentative 12-year-old students. They make a blanket statement; I point out the exception; they claim that I hate babies, breathe snakes, and kill puppies. You said that they play a really hard schedule; I said that they have, but they've also received credit for that when they haven't; you said, "Show me details"; I showed you the details; you said, "That's only one year!"; I said, "Look at any other year in the 90s"; you said, "It’s obvious you have a deep hatred for the Irish so nothing is going to convince you otherwise. Not even Ducks research and graphs that he laid out for you. Haters gonna hate."

I don't argue with children. Have a nice day, and do you homework.

Oh, man, you're a card. Did you notice that in my long post that I said that I attended the '93 FSU-N.D. game? I hold no more ill will to N.D. than I do towards USC or any other perennial power.

This has turned into one of my conversations with argumentative 12-year-old students. They make a blanket statement; I point out the exception; they claim that I hate babies, breathe snakes, and kill puppies. You said that they play a really hard schedule; I said that they have, but they've also received credit for that when they haven't; you said, "Show me details"; I showed you the details; you said, "That's only one year!"; I said, "Look at any other year in the 90s"; you said, "It’s obvious e you have a deep hatred for the Irish so nothing is going to convince you otherwise. Not even Ducks research and graphs that he laid out for you. Haters gonna hate."

Could you leave the ball? i don’t have to be home till the street lights go on.

This has turned into one of my conversations with argumentative 12-year-old students. They make a blanket statement; I point out the exception; they claim that I hate babies, breathe snakes, and kill puppies. You said that they play a really hard schedule; I said that they have, but they've also received credit for that when they haven't; you said, "Show me details"; I showed you the details; you said, "That's only one year!"; I said, "Look at any other year in the 90s"; you said, "It’s obvious you have a deep hatred for the Irish so nothing is going to convince you otherwise. Not even Ducks research and graphs that he laid out for you. Haters gonna hate."

I’m probably as old as you are. And your hatred is showing as is your impertinence.

There are some Power 5 schools who have not been good at football for a long time. I'd have rather played Stanford in the 80s and 90s than Oklahoma State. Pitt used to be good, but it's been a long, long time. Vandy and Purdue showed up often. Boston College has never been terrifying. On it goes. You get the point. It's one thing to say that they played tough Michigan and Miami teams in '88, which they did, but it's another to say that that was the sort of Power 5 team that they were playing week in and week out, which was not the case.

Also, just a quibble, a lot of the teams that they used to play regularly were, by definition, NOT Power 5 teams because they were independents, which makes sense because Notre Dame has always been an independent. The Power 5 teams that they have most frequently played when they literally were in what we now call a Power 5 conference would be USC, Stanford, ... and the B1G ... who were adding Notre Dame on top of already tough conference schedules.

For the record, I do hate Notre Dame (Not OU, Texas, Iowa or Miami level, but hate 'em anyway and no it has nothing to do with them being a Catholic school), but I agree that Notre Dame's schedule is not brutal year in and year out. They've got tough years and crap years as do all.

The bigger argument for me is why, no matter what, is an SEC in conference game considered to be 'tough'. That's the real argument, IMO.

For the record, I do hate Notre Dame (Not OU, Texas, Iowa or Miami level, but hate 'em anyway and no it has nothing to do with them being a Catholic school), but I agree that Notre Dame's schedule is not brutal year in and year out. They've got tough years and crap years as do all.

The bigger argument for me is why, no matter what, is an SEC in conference game considered to be 'tough'. That's the real argument, IMO.
N.D.'s schedule isn't as much of an issue now that they're no longer hovering around the #1 ranking like they were in much of the Holtz Era, and it's interesting that for much of that time, the SEC didn't really have a great reputation, at least until Florida and Tennessee won in '95 and '98. Alabama's NC in '92 was kind of an anomaly as they weren't that great before or after. These things go in cycles. The SEC has more staying power because a lot of the rest of the country is getting scared of playing football, and simultaneously, ESPN has gone all in with their SEC promotion. I don't know if the SEC bias will go away before college football, itself, goes away.

I don’t like the color green
lgo_ncaa_notre_dame_fighting_irish.png
undmascot-undtoday.jpg

I'm looking forward to September 3rd 2022 game. 890 days to go .....
http://schersdd.tripod.com/sig2022.html

Last edited:

N.D.'s schedule isn't as much of an issue now that they're no longer hovering around the #1 ranking like they were in much of the Holtz Era, and it's interesting that for much of that time, the SEC didn't really have a great reputation, at least until Florida and Tennessee won in '95 and '98. Alabama's NC in '92 was kind of an anomaly as they weren't that great before or after. These things go in cycles. The SEC has more staying power because a lot of the rest of the country is getting scared of playing football, and simultaneously, ESPN has gone all in with their SEC promotion. I don't know if the SEC bias will go away before college football, itself, goes away.

I hope I live long enough to see the SEC toppled. It's a stretch right now, but everything is cyclical, like you said.

My dislike for ND came when I was growing up. With only three channels on TV Sunday's showed replays of ND and it made me mad I could only see my Huskers three times a year if I was lucky. Thank goodness we have BTN!

I wish that were the case, but it's not as cut and dried as that. We have our fair share of @$$holes, and those guys are usually the standard by which outsiders judge our program and our fan base. That's just how life works.
I agree with you. For us fans that love the Huskers we pat ourselves on the back, clap for the losing team, and go about our business with dignity and quiet confidence. If you polled the average fan outside of Nebraska I'm not sure you would get the same response-it would be very similar to our feelings about say Iowa. We can be an arrogant bunch at times and we are clinging desperately to our past. I'm glad we do it but the clapping for the opposing team after we beat them seems genuine but if I had been on the opposition who just had their arse handed to them I would feel it was kinda condescending behavior.

I'm glad we do it but the clapping for the opposing team after we beat them seems genuine but if I had been on the opposition who just had their arse handed to them I would feel it was kinda condescending behavior.
Meanwhile, it's hard to spin our clapping for visiting teams that beat us at home. Bobby Bowden, Mack Brown, Ricky Williams, the Northwestern president, and a host of others point back to when they saw that happen as being the epitome of what college sports and sportsmanship should be. I'm grateful for that.

On the other hand I have a lot of friends from all over the country who find out that I'm a Nebraska fan and proceed to tell me how they never had an opinion, good or bad, until they spent time with a Nebraska fan--usually someone who married into the family--who was so obnoxious that they began to root for Nebraska out of the desire for some schadenfreude.

My dislike for ND came when I was growing up. With only three channels on TV Sunday's showed replays of ND and it made me mad I could only see my Huskers three times a year if I was lucky. Thank goodness we have BTN!

i remember this as a kid of 10-11 years old there was a highlight show of Notre Dame football on Sunday morning on some channel out of Omaha in the mid late 70’s.

I remember Vegas Ferguson as their rb Dan Devine was the coach.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back