• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked When is the "Official" cut off date for Charles Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Talman, on sports nightly, thinks Jackson will go the "heard" route if he doesn't make it in by end of August vice the JC route.

Which makes sense....like Bell and Heard did.....he will have to take a class and with some luck could be on campus come Jan 2012....

John Talman, on sports nightly, thinks Jackson will go the "heard" route if he doesn't make it in by end of August vice the JC route.

Last edited:
The JUCO route would be a mistake. He obviously has the test scores. His grades seem to be OK, too. the problem is apparantly these two classes that didn't qualify as core.

The only thing that would worry me if - like me - he is strong in math and absolutely pathetic in English. Also, some are the flip side. Hopefully, he would be able to do well enough to keep his grades at or above the threshold set by his test scores.

You'd think he can get the two classes he needs at the local Community College (Lone Star) this fall without starting the clock. This would make him a gray shirt; we'd have him in spring with 5 years to play 4.

If he qualifies it would be a trade off whether you would rather have him come in late and use his redshirt (effectively a 4 to play 4 - unless he tears up practices); but be able to practice; or wait until spring. I'd think you want him to come in this fall if he could.

Last edited:

I personally do not see any way, barring a miracle, for him to be here this fall. The appeal process--even if successful--will simply take too long. However, I see no reason he can't do a minimum of class work and be more than ready to go in the spring. At this point, he would likely RS anyway so I would be more than happy to welcome him in the spring. I've always felt spring ball to be essential for a young player's development anyway.

Last edited:
Exactly.....

I personally do not see any way, barring a miracle, for him to be here this fall. The appeal process--even if successful--will simply take too long. However, I see no reason he can't do a minimum of class work and be more than ready to go in the spring. At this point, he would likely RS anyway so I would be more than happy to welcome him in the spring. I've always felt spring ball to be essential for a young player's development anyway.

After reading the post I understand (or am reminded) process is everything. It just kill me that all too often athletes (not just NU football players) usually have one minor speed bump in their way of them joining the team at what ever school they chose and they have to wait a lifetime to get a yay or nay from a board of professionals who I think can look at the scores and/or classes of these kids, evaluate, make a decision so that they kid can make up or move on in a speedier process. I mean if the tests or course has been complete, how many different offices do the results have to go to in order for them to tell a kid, you should be looking in a JUCO direction or go ahead and enroll at whatever university.

I thought learly last week they had reported that we should hear on the appeal at the end of this past weekend. It is Tuesday evening and no news. IMO it doesn't look good. I don't know what the odds of winning an appeal is (that is what is being waited upon). In fact, IIRC, he may have gone through several rounds of appeals already.

On one hand, it seems that no one had thought Jackson was suspect, and you'd have thought he'd gotten decent counseling in HS - enough that he knew he needed to take several classes a year ago - that maybe "they" got it right and the NCAA would eventually come around.

I wondered however, last weekend, when they had the article on how perserverence paid off for Brayon Heard and Antonio Bell, you wonder if that story was intended to encourage Chas. Jackson and that it might be a sign that people in the know don't believe the NCAA will clear him.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_fd9993ec-f209-53c4-8d59-db9d507ef44b.html

Last edited:

I'm betting on the "academic greyshirt" route. If he can take care of bidness and get here in spring, he'll have a great opportunity to start next fall.

Also, I think the 4 scholarships to walkons signalled that no matter what, he's not going to be on the team and on scholarship this fall, unless someone else is transferring.

He has til the 31st and the clearinghouse is ignoring any communication from the Jackson family at this point, so that should tell you. I agree Charles will be another Braylon episode, just not as long to pan out!

Bo said we should know about CJ by tomorrow. Also said that he would probably have to wait until Second semester to join the team because of the amount of school he has already missed. Looks like his scholly gets to count toward next year. Put another one in the bank.

Thanks Lum....as expected....suspect he will get a GS and full schollie for next year as you pointed out....

Bo said we should know about CJ by tomorrow. Also said that he would probably have to wait until Second semester to join the team because of the amount of school he has already missed. Looks like his scholly gets to count toward next year. Put another one in the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back