• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What's next?

All good questions, and ZERO answers. That’s how botched this entire structure has been. They gutted the entire model….for money. We’ll see how this train wreck goes.

Yeah it's the wild west now. Rules are illegal. Everyone has a right to everything and anything. I've watched less and less over the years, frankly because I can't keep track of who is on what team from year to year. Every player is "Johnny Wad, transfer from Crappensburg State." This is Johnny's 5th stop, and he's a 5th year sophomore majoring in poultry science. At least with the NFL, most players are around a couple or three years.

I suppose things have been deduced to cheering for the jerseys. You are wearing our jersey, you are goooood. Wearing someone else's jersey next year, you're baaaaad.

Why don't we just load up with jerseys and pants in a big laundry bucket and move it to mid field, with the opponent's opposite ours. We could just cheer for the buckets, and whoever is loudest wins the game. Does anyone in the stands actually know any of these people running up and down the field in the bright red uniforms? Does it matter whether they are a student or not, or some random ex con right out of the pen in Lincoln? As long as he's scoring TDs and showing some flash on that field, go team!

Or maybe the teams with the most money each year win. Whoever has the most dollars at the end of the year wins a trophy. Maybe a trophy even if you are in the top 10 in money. Use all that money to build yet another Athletic performance center or install ventilated seats in the luxury boxes.

Last edited:

What's next? Title IX lawsuits. This is $20 million available to men's sports, that is not available to women.
It's in the settlement, @20 million is for all athletes at School not just mens. How you split it to satisfy Title 9 laws is the ?. The letter of the Law for Title 9 is that Universities must provide Equal Opportunities to participate not equal funding Since is being presented as Revenue Sharing You may be able to desiginate the amounts according to what percent of revenue each sport brings in.

It's in the settlement, @20 million is for all athletes at School not just mens. How you split it to satisfy Title 9 laws is the ?. The letter of the Law for Title 9 is that Universities must provide Equal Opportunities to participate not equal funding Since is being presented as Revenue Sharing You may be able to desiginate the amounts according to what percent of revenue each sport brings in.
Some of the monies can be used to expand sports teams in scholarship only payments. So basically title nine appears dead in the water as it used to apply to student athletes.

Last edited:
Yeah it's the wild west now. Rules are illegal. Everyone has a right to everything and anything. I've watched less and less over the years, frankly because I can't keep track of who is on what team from year to year. Every player is "Johnny Wad, transfer from Crappensburg State." This is Johnny's 5th stop, and he's a 5th year sophomore majoring in poultry science. At least with the NFL, most players are around a couple or three years.

I suppose things have been deduced to cheering for the jerseys. You are wearing our jersey, you are goooood. Wearing someone else's jersey next year, you're baaaaad.

Why don't we just load up with jerseys and pants in a big laundry bucket and move it to mid field, with the opponent's opposite ours. We could just cheer for the buckets, and whoever is loudest wins the game. Does anyone in the stands actually know any of these people running up and down the field in the bright red uniforms? Does it matter whether they are a student or not, or some random ex con right out of the pen in Lincoln? As long as he's scoring TDs and showing some flash on that field, go team!

Or maybe the teams with the most money each year win. Whoever has the most dollars at the end of the year wins a trophy. Maybe a trophy even if you are in the top 10 in money. Use all that money to build yet another Athletic performance center or install ventilated seats in the luxury boxes.
All I can say to these fools is, they’d better hope the teen/20 something’s latch on, or everything will die with age. Guarantee, less and less 50’s+ are still passionate. I hope they all lose billions. I despise businesses that destroy themselves for money, to become nothing. Zero thinking.

The way it’s written, I believe it describes equality of opportunity, not of outcome. Facilities are not equal, media, fan support, those are not about opportunity. This would be similar.
And as pay is also variable, so too are numbers. How this is sized up will vary school to school.
I could see a Uni or two dropping most sports and having larger evened payouts. Or for some just to survive/keep a few to stay better competitors.
Use wisely the resources you have.

Now that we have officially entered pro ball, I'm wondering about some of the natural consequences.

When do universities subcontract out running a pro team to a third party? The third party runs the program, recruits and signs the players, makes trades, etc. The universities basically wash their hands of running a pro team, and instead, grant the use of their logos to the third party, for a fee. "The Nebraska Cornhuskers, sponsored by Mutual of Omaha".

Why would class attendance be a requirement for eligibility? Does that stand up in court? What about the max years of eligibility? Can we schedule UFL teams in the spring?

Lots of interesting questions coming down the pike, to a school near you.
I think we are a ways away from the subcontracting out to pro teams (similar to MLB farm system). I think you might see this system come into play if cash flow becomes a problem. Right now, I think there is plenty of money in the college system to cover everything that needs to be covered.

The portion about eligibility does stand out to me as one of the more likely things to go by the wayside. If college sports effectively become pro, why have them be "student athletes"? Is there a day and age when people can just stay at the college level? Could we see people return to the college level after playing in the pros? I feel like we are getting closer and closer to having that door open.

I think we are a ways away from the subcontracting out to pro teams (similar to MLB farm system). I think you might see this system come into play if cash flow becomes a problem. Right now, I think there is plenty of money in the college system to cover everything that needs to be covered.

The portion about eligibility does stand out to me as one of the more likely things to go by the wayside. If college sports effectively become pro, why have them be "student athletes"? Is there a day and age when people can just stay at the college level? Could we see people return to the college level after playing in the pros? I feel like we are getting closer and closer to having that door open.

Agree. And the end result will be less opportunities for high schoolers. Those that actually want to earn a degree and play, and who know they aren't going to the NFL, may opt for small schools. Many do this already, but having a roster full of 5-7 year players won't allow a lot of room for the 18 year olds.

One small school I know of that has a healthy model is Colorado Mines. You aren't getting into Mines because you can ball. You are getting in because 1) You want to be an engineer, 2) Have top grades, and 3) Can get through their rigorous admissions process.

None of those players have any illusion of making the NFL; they are simply good football players that are going to school for the right reason. EARN meaningful credentials.

This should really be what a higher education is about, not finding all sorts of crazy ways to admit kids and coddle them through a dumbed down, absentee curriculum so that they can tackle a people a few hours a year on TV. Things are really jacked up.

Last edited:

Agree. And the end result will be less opportunities for high schoolers. Those that actually want to earn a degree and play, and who know they aren't going to the NFL, may opt for small schools. Many do this already, but having a roster full of 5-7 year players won't allow a lot of room for the 18 year olds.

One small school I know of that has a healthy model is Colorado Mines. You aren't getting into Mines because you can ball. You are getting in because 1) You want to be an engineer, 2) Have top grades, and 3) Can get through their rigorous admissions process.

None of those players have any illusion of making the NFL; they are simply good football players that are going to school for the right reason. EARN meaningful credentials.

This should really be what a higher education is about, not finding all sorts of crazy ways to admit kids and coddle them through a dumbed down, absentee curriculum so that they can tackle a people a few hours a year on TV. Things are really jacked up.
This new model is ultimately not going to have as great of an impact on college athletics as I think most believe. You are right in saying it may reduce opportunities at the highest level, but P5 makes up a very small percentage of college sports as a whole. A lot of opportunities exist at mid majors, FCS, DII, DIII, NAIA, JUCO, etc. Ultimately, this might be a blessing to non-P5 schools, especially in sports that aren't revenue sports, as it will drive talent to those that aren't in the "pro model".

This new model is ultimately not going to have as great of an impact on college athletics as I think most believe. You are right in saying it may reduce opportunities at the highest level, but P5 makes up a very small percentage of college sports as a whole. A lot of opportunities exist at mid majors, FCS, DII, DIII, NAIA, JUCO, etc. Ultimately, this might be a blessing to non-P5 schools, especially in sports that aren't revenue sports, as it will drive talent to those that aren't in the "pro model".
The private schools won't like the new way. Especially NW. They'd have to acquiesce to admitting potentially non qualifying athletes if given
certain form of say union run/led rules.
How the academic led portion of NW may not relish this.

The private schools won't like the new way. Especially NW. They'd have to acquiesce to admitting potentially non qualifying athletes if given
certain form of say union run/led rules.
How the academic led portion of NW may not relish this.
Same for other high academic schools. Wake, Stanford, ND, Ga Tech, Vandy.

Are those schools going to whore out for pro ball ?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back