• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What's next?

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
Now that we have officially entered pro ball, I'm wondering about some of the natural consequences.

When do universities subcontract out running a pro team to a third party? The third party runs the program, recruits and signs the players, makes trades, etc. The universities basically wash their hands of running a pro team, and instead, grant the use of their logos to the third party, for a fee. "The Nebraska Cornhuskers, sponsored by Mutual of Omaha".

Why would class attendance be a requirement for eligibility? Does that stand up in court? What about the max years of eligibility? Can we schedule UFL teams in the spring?

Lots of interesting questions coming down the pike, to a school near you.

Last edited:

8rlbth.jpg

Why would class attendance be a requirement for eligibility? Does that stand up in court? What about the max years of eligibility? Can we schedule UFL teams in the spring?
I read somewhere that tuition could be part of their pay. But I don't know if that would survive a law suit. An "Other employees don't need to take classes," kind of thing.

Now that it's officially pro, what separates it from the UFL? I guess the only saving grace is that the UFL is played in the spring. But when will there be spring games, and perhaps some interleague games with the UFL? Sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Just wait until these players are not paying or filing taxes correctly. Right now it seems the players and their Attorneys have the upper hand but as we all know things can and will change. Dare I say there may even be players missing the old system at some point.

Last edited:

Now that we have officially entered pro ball, I'm wondering about some of the natural consequences.

When do universities subcontract out running a pro team to a third party? The third party runs the program, recruits and signs the players, makes trades, etc. The universities basically wash their hands of running a pro team, and instead, grant the use of their logos to the third party, for a fee. "The Nebraska Cornhuskers, sponsored by Mutual of Omaha".

I think back in the old days, Coach Tom Osborne and State Senator Ernie Chambers had agreed about having a Degree of Football. That is a possibility for the future.

Another interesting component is the massive difference between the major NCAA D-I sports and every other sport. The NCAA still governs divisions II & III, and those schools and athletes don't appear to be reaping the "benefits" of these types of decisions. Athlete at the NAIA and JUCO levels are also left out. What are the downstream impacts to those schools and their athletes?

Another interesting component is the massive difference between the major NCAA D-I sports and every other sport. The NCAA still governs divisions II & III, and those schools and athletes don't appear to be reaping the "benefits" of these types of decisions. Athlete at the NAIA and JUCO levels are also left out. What are the downstream impacts to those schools and their athletes?
The never haves. Like a softball league, volunteer only. If someones good enough to go pro they will.
Not much different now except the enticements now created for those good enough to ditch their lesser schools.
And its always dicey with the transfer portal, so coming back has to be allowed and accounted for I imagine.

Last edited:
What's next? Title IX lawsuits. This is $20 million available to men's sports, that is not available to women.

What's next? Title IX lawsuits. This is $20 million available to men's sports, that is not available to women.
Competition wise, it's in Nebraska's interest to pay all athletes a good wage and say it's because of Title IX. It will force some schools out of the picture OR force some men's sports out of the scholastic environment. I'm okay either way.

All good questions, and ZERO answers. That’s how botched this entire structure has been. They gutted the entire model….for money. We’ll see how this train wreck goes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back