• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Trev Alberts had to say about Frost and staff a year ago

I was kind of hoping for the cliff notes version myself.
He was asked about Scott Frost as a former Husker while he still an AD at UNO. He said that it is wrong to compare Scott Frost in year 2 1/2 to Tom Osborne in year 25. Said he is a better AD now then he was in 2009 and it is reasonable to expect that Scott and his staff would improve. It sounds like Trev is going to provide Coach Frost the stability he needs to succeed.

Lol, is this the metric we are going to apply to our current regime, too?
Fine by me. Time will tell if we're trending better than the last regime. We do know that this group started further in the hole than the last one did. It's only been 2.5 seasons. In December, 2017, I figured we had a major rebuilding ahead of us and it would take years to overcome the Riley-Eichorst deterioration of the program, if we did it at all. It sounds like you've already made up your mind that this staff has no chance. You may end up being right, but I'm thinking/still hoping we'll show considerable improvement this year. I'm frankly more concerned going forward about certain off the field stuff with HCSF than the 12-20 the first 2.5 years.

Like I said, some will agree and others will not. That's cool. To mention Frost and Osborne in the same sentence is not blasphemy. Please. Don't cheapen the meaning of that word. Osborne himself is a huge supporter and advocate of Scott Frost, so I think he would disagree with you.

There are zero top notch coaches who will come here after what we've done to our coaches the last couple decades. Heck, Callahan and Riley weren't even the first choices of the respective AD's at those times. We as Husker fans fool ourselves into believing we are relevant and a desired destination. I'm sorry, but we are neither.

Just be patient friend. The entire landscape of college football is changing. We need stability right now. We will get back to relevance. Hang in there.

I didn't compare Frost to Osborne. Your fault for stopping reading.
"There are zero top notch coaches who will come here after what we've done to our coaches the last couple decades."

Why does anyone think this? 5 million plus a year, top notch facilities, history of winning, national presence just waiting to be tapped into. Should Frost be fired, this is THE 'plumb' job a talented young/old hungry coach will fight to get. Anyone who says no one will take this job has no idea how competitive the coaching world is. There are extremely talented hungry coaches out there who are working 70-80 hours a week for one hell of a lot less. Any and all of these coaches would fight each other for a prime job in the BIG, let alone Nebraska. By the way, look around at other big time programs for the amount of years coaches get to show improvement. Nebraska gives lots of time to prove yourself compared to others. Trev will make a decision on the football coach based on the past 4 years and evidence of growth not just this year. People are fooling themselves thinking that a new AD was brought in to keep things status quo in a low performing program. That's not how it works anywhere. AD's are brought in to become change agents. No exception here.

Just curious, you seem to have a pretty intimate knowledge on how Trevor(not heard him called Trevor) is going to operate. Care to elaborate or are you just throwing out an opinion.
Sorry. I think autocorrect switched it to "Trevor".

Regarding Trev, yes, our family has a bit of an acquaintance with his family. We aren't best buds or anything, but know him well enough to speak to his character and management style. He's a very good man and he will be very good for the athletic department and for the coaches.

Sorry. I think autocorrect switched it to "Trevor".

Regarding Trev, yes, our family has a bit of an acquaintance with his family. We aren't best buds or anything, but know him well enough to speak to his character and management style. He's a very good man and he will be very good for the athletic department and for the coaches.
I sensed there may be more than just an opinion. Thanks

"There are zero top notch coaches who will come here after what we've done to our coaches the last couple decades."

Why does anyone think this? 5 million plus a year, top notch facilities, history of winning, national presence just waiting to be tapped into. Should Frost be fired, this is THE 'plumb' job a talented young/old hungry coach will fight to get. Anyone who says no one will take this job has no idea how competitive the coaching world is. There are extremely talented hungry coaches out there who are working 70-80 hours a week for one hell of a lot less. Any and all of these coaches would fight each other for a prime job in the BIG, let alone Nebraska. By the way, look around at other big time programs for the amount of years coaches get to show improvement. Nebraska gives lots of time to prove yourself compared to others. Trev will make a decision on the football coach based on the past 4 years and evidence of growth not just this year. People are fooling themselves thinking that a new AD was brought in to keep things status quo in a low performing program. That's not how it works anywhere. AD's are brought in to become change agents. No exception here.
Well, you don't know Trev very well.

As for top notch coaches coming here...you're entitled to your opinion. I would just ask you why we couldn't get a top notch coach in here when we had to hire, Callahan, Pelion, and Riley? Callahan and Riley weren't even the first choices.

Nebraska is irrelevant on the national stage. We are not a desired destination for top notch, winning, active coaches. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

I sensed there may be more than just an opinion. Thanks
Sure thing. I'm open to alternative opinions and criticisms though. Just because we know him a bit doesn't make jump to always defend him. In this specific topic, though, I believe to be accurate. Time will tell.

Sorry for the change in subject here. But. Why do so many threads get locked here? A thread just got locked after I responded and I can't figure out why. It was a great topic with calm and collective opinions voiced and it just got locked.

I don't mean any disrespect to whomever runs these forums, but it seems to be a bit micro-managed, IMHO. Who even has time to constantly monitor all this so closely? :Biggrin:

Sorry for the change in subject here. But. Why do so many threads get locked here? A thread just got locked after I responded and I can't figure out why. It was a great topic with calm and collective opinions voiced and it just got locked.

I don't mean any disrespect to whomever runs these forums, but it seems to be a bit micro-managed, IMHO. Who even has time to constantly monitor all this so closely? :Biggrin:

In the thread you're referencing, there was political talk and that's a no no on the football board.

All we did was describe the condition of the city. Geez. Seems a bit touchy to lock because of that.
It’s just the rules of this board. Other boards don’t have the same rules and rumors go rampant. Hell a couple guys being funny started a rumor that Frost was doing cocaine. That’s what we want to avoid here. The political stuff has a tendency to blow up fast as some are sensitive. That Frost rumor was started on a different board snd even the guys who started said it was nonsense. Just to much nonesene

It’s just the rules of this board. Other boards don’t have the same rules and rumors go rampant. Hell a couple guys being funny started a rumor that Frost was doing cocaine. That’s what we want to avoid here. The political stuff has a tendency to blow up fast as some are sensitive. That Frost rumor was started on a different board snd even the guys who started said it was nonsense. Just to much nonesene
Ok. Thanks for the explanation.

And apologies to those in the thread for my comments causing it to get locked. I think it's over the top and not at all deserved, but I do apologize to those who were taking part in a great discussion and I got it locked for you. :rolleyes::mad:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back