• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked What is a fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen. You will note that a large percentage of Bo supporters spend at least as much -- if not more time and energy bashing Husker fans who disagree with them than they do discussing the football team. The Bo doubters actually spend a much larger percentage of their time and energy discussing the state of the program.

Whether you love Bo or not, it would be a true blessing (hey, it's almost the holiday season) to see discussion focused on football.

Man, this is a post I really enjoyed. I really hope my posts are even 33% as well put and informed as your posts man. Your just so consistently good. Keep up the good work dude.

Amen. You will note that a large percentage of Bo supporters spend at least as much -- if not more time and energy bashing Husker fans who disagree with them than they do discussing the football team. The Bo doubters actually spend a much larger percentage of their time and energy discussing the state of the program.

Whether you love Bo or not, it would be a true blessing (hey, it's almost the holiday season) to see discussion focused on football.

You can say this, but it doesn't make it true.

Plus, constantly stating "this team sucks" or "the coaches need to be fired" isn't "discussing football" either.

How about a listener, and sometimes agreeable. I'm not just on here to argue.

But the premise of the thread was to set things straight with some posters, with that you will inevitably have an argument on your hands. You clearly stated your side...the other side will find you. Its just the way its been.

I've tempered my stance this year because I think things will work themselves out over time....how much time is needed and what is the standard of success are the questions. Some think there's been enough time and not enough success...others think more time is needed and/or the success level is adequate.

We all want the same thing but we all come from different points of view...so we have disagreements. Its life. We are not apart of the organization...we are bystanders watching the show. We have the right to be pleased or displeased as we see fit. Just my view.

You can say this, but it doesn't make it true.

Plus, constantly stating "this team sucks" or "the coaches need to be fired" isn't "discussing football" either.

Indeed ... you do have some crazies using words like "sucks" and "fired." I know SoCalRed told us in September that he was done with Bo. There's also crazy posters who like to elevate themselves to a tier above the rest. Or at least in their own mind. Just lots of craziness here. My crazy, bickering Husker family. I don't know what I'd do without you, which is why I can never leave (or rather, cannot leave you alone with sharp objects).

Allow me to elevate myself for a minute. Everything I say is true.

:wave:

Anyone who cheers for the Huskers' success, short term or long term, is a "good fan."

However, many good fans have very illogical, uninformed, shortsighted views on how NU should achieve success.

That makes them illogical, uninformed or shortsighted fans; not bad fans.

You keep forgetting 'IMO'. :thumbsup:

IME, the "true fan" debates inevitably end up as sideshow gutter wrestling matches. Everyone involved feels they have the moral high ground. I think mjohnson, the friendly sage, nailed it in his post directly after mine. We're all fans, we just have different ways of expressing our fanaticism.

So true. However there are those who ABSOLUTELY refuse any one to have an opinion that is different than theirs.

I have to say I love this thread. HM has some seriously witty re-par-teeyin' members! I wrote this over in the café a few weeks ago...

Wikipedia: (Fanatic itself, introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It comes from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired". The word originally pertained to a temple or sacred place [Latin fanum, poetic English fane]. The modern sense of "extremely zealous" dates from around 1647; the use of fanatic as a noun dates from 1650.)

I often question my fandom. Why, I ask myself, do I let the actions of a group of 17-23 year olds I do not know personally, and have almost nothing in common with have so much control over my state of mind? Why, when referring to the team do I say "we" and "us" as if I am a player or coach? Why do I feel pride or misery in the accomplishments of others when I have no real connection or contribution to their performance.

Eric Hoffer was a self taught philosopher who devoted his life to the study of mass movements after being so dismayed that the German people so willingly followed Hitler. He argued that we join mass movements (fan bases) to take the focus of our own failings and lackluster accomplishments.

It's much easier to criticize the actions of players and coaches in excruciating detail than our own daily scorecard and achievements.

For the record, I graded out at a C+ today.

I have to say I love this thread. HM has some seriously witty re-par-teeyin' members! I wrote this over in the café a few weeks ago...

Wikipedia: (Fanatic itself, introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It comes from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired". The word originally pertained to a temple or sacred place [Latin fanum, poetic English fane]. The modern sense of "extremely zealous" dates from around 1647; the use of fanatic as a noun dates from 1650.)

I often question my fandom. Why, I ask myself, do I let the actions of a group of 17-23 year olds I do not know personally, and have almost nothing in common with have so much control over my state of mind? Why, when referring to the team do I say "we" and "us" as if I am a player or coach? Why do I feel pride or misery in the accomplishments of others when I have no real connection or contribution to their performance.

Eric Hoffer was a self taught philosopher who devoted his life to the study of mass movements after being so dismayed that the German people so willingly followed Hitler. He argued that we join mass movements (fan bases) to take the focus of our own failings and lackluster accomplishments.

It's much easier to criticize the actions of players and coaches in excruciating detail than our own daily scorecard and achievements.

For the record, I graded out at a C+ today.

Great post. That was interesting reading some of Hoffer's thoughts on the True Believer.

Hoffer also claimed that a passionate obsession with the outside world or the private lives of others was an attempt to compensate for a lack of meaning in one's own life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Hoffer#The_True_Believer

don't leave Faaaaaaaaaaaaaahn daaaaaaaaahn gggoooooohhhhhhh out of the discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back