• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked What is a fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexxus

Shower Curtain Fella
5 Year Member
After reading this board for several years, I have come to the conclusion several of you do not fit the definition. You absorb sunshine and radiate gloom. Without mentioning any names, I thought it would be fun to research the history of several posters. One poster in particular had 87% Negative posts. What I found extremely entertaining was that one of his posts was degrading Martinez's passing percentage, and he bemoaned the fact TA should be starting as to gain experience. Low and behold, just recently, the said poster was entertaining the thought that TA would never be a good passer. What in the world? Some of you people get upset if your ice cream is cold. YOU are the ones that do damage to the team and Husker fandom morale. A pen is mightier than the sword. Although maybe 10 million people don't read your posts, you have the "pay-it-forward" effect. Being negative is a bad disease. Page 62 of THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED by M. Scott Peck: "The selective withholding of one's opinions must also be practiced from time to time in the world of business or politics if one is to be welcomed into the councils of power. If people were always to speak their minds on issues both great and small, they would be considered insubordinate by the average supervisor, and a threat to the organization by management. They would gain reputations for abrasiveness and would be deemed too untrustworthy ever to be appointed as spokesmen for an organization. When I used to lurk, I would shake my head at some of Red Reign's scoldings, and think "how lame." That was one of the main reasons I never joined. But you know, now I get it. Now, it IS the reason I joined. Some of you were never taught how to be a good fan. You were raised in a generation that is only concerned about "What can you do for me TODAY." I hear the argument that you have the right to voice your opinions. Yes, you do. But you also have the right to run down "O" street in a thong. Do you do that also? I have yet to see any football movies made where the theme of the movies is total domination, and we don't give a damn how we get there. However, I can think of some great football movies with an underdog theme.......with a team gelling together to do some great things. That is happening right before your eyes, and some of you are too blind to see it. Enjoy it. It's a great thing. Aren't you moved by a third string quarterback that has played the scout team for 4 years, and would have probably ended his career without seeing a game being quoted as saying he LOVES this coach, that he's like a father figure? Look at this team. They are from untold backgrounds, ethnicities, social settings, religions - they have come together, and would do anything for each other. That is what a team is. That is what coaching is. I have heard countless times that all Nebraska fans want is their team to play hard for four quarters. That is what is happening, can't you see it?? I went to school in Nebraska for the glory years of the 90's. Yes, it was great. But so is this. I believe this program is run representative of most of our lives. I don't see a lot of corruption, thugs, or "me" attitudes. I am proud of this coaching staff. Be damn careful of what you wish for - remember the 60 minute crew on campus, daily journal reports of beaten girlfriends, bullets shot into a car, etc. Remember - winning is not everything. It is how you play the game. The feeling of achieving a goal is unexplainably better when you have endured hardship to get there. It WILL happen.

Last edited:

After reading this board for several years, I have come to the conclusion several of you do not fit the definition. You absorb sunshine and radiate gloom. Without mentioning any names, I thought it would be fun to research the history of several posters. One poster in particular had 87% Negative posts. What I found extremely entertaining was that one of his posts was degrading Martinez's passing percentage, and he bemoaned the fact TA should be starting as to gain experience. Low and behold, just recently, the said poster was entertaining the thought that TA would never be a good passer. What in the world? Some of you people get upset if your ice cream is cold. YOU are the ones that do damage to the team and Husker fandom morale. A pen is mightier than the sword. Although maybe 10 million people don't read your posts, you have the "pay-it-forward" effect. Being negative is a bad disease. Page 62 of THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED by M. Scott Peck: "The selective withholding of one's opinions must also be practiced from time to time in the world of business or politics if one is to be welcomed into the councils of power. If people were always to speak their minds on issues both great and small, they would be considered insubordinate by the average supervisor, and a threat to the organization by management. They would gain reputations for abrasiveness and would be deemed too untrustworthy ever to be appointed as spokesmen for an organization. When I used to lurk, I would shake my head at some of Red Reign's scoldings, and think "how lame." That was one of the main reasons I never joined. But you know, now I get it. Now, it IS the reason I joined. Some of you were never taught how to be a good fan. You were raised in a generation that is only concerned about "What can you do for me TODAY." I hear the argument that you have the right to voice your opinions. Yes, you do. But you also have the right to run down "O" street in a thong. Do you do that also? I have yet to see any football movies made where the theme of the movies is total domination, and we don't give a damn how we get there. However, I can think of some great football movies with an underdog theme.......with a team gelling together to do some great things. That is happening right before your eyes, and some of you are too blind to see it. Enjoy it. It's a great thing. Aren't you moved by a third string quarterback that has played the scout team for 4 years, and would have probably ended his career without seeing a game being quoted as saying he LOVES this coach, that he's like a father figure? Look at this team. They are from untold backgrounds, ethnicities, social settings, religions - they have come together, and would do anything for each other. That is what a team is. That is what coaching is. I have heard countless times that all Nebraska fans want is their team to play hard for four quarters. That is what is happening, can't you see it?? I went to school in Nebraska for the glory years of the 90's. Yes, it was great. But so is this. I believe this program is run representative of most of our lives. I don't see a lot of corruption, thugs, or "me" attitudes. I am proud of this coaching staff. Be damn careful of what you wish for - remember the 60 minute crew on campus, daily journal reports of beaten girlfriends, bullets shot into a car, etc. Remember - winning is not everything. It is how you play the game. The feeling of achieving a goal is unexplainably better when you have endured hardship to get there. It WILL happen.

The bolded is actually a serious problem in government and business. The truth is hidden away because of fear to express it. The nodding heads then move up the ranks and outside-the-box thinking is lost to the organization. The truth should always be welcomed and if it makes a powerbroker uncomfortable so be it. That powerbroker should not be in that position if that is the case.

Selective Scarlet....selective. Save it for the important things. When you start disagreeing on everything, your negative attitude becomes infectious. A good leader, or fan for that matter does not see everything as half-empty. Be a little positive too. "Selective withholding"

Selective Scarlet....selective. Save it for the important things. When you start disagreeing on everything, your negative attitude becomes infectious. A good leader, or fan for that matter does not see everything as half-empty. Be a little positive too. "Selective withholding"

A good leader too does not squash outside-the-box thinking. Sorry. I was just thinking when reading your post about the organization I work for and how morale is at an all-time low because all input has been tossed to the wayside. With that the only people now in the inner circle are those with knee pads.

Welcome to the board Nexxus, glad to have you here. You make some very vaild points in your post, thanks for sharing it. I believe as fans that we all want the best for the HUSKERS, we just have some very differing ideas and opinions on how that gets accomplished these days.

So if I speak my mind, I won't be welcomed to the council of power. hmmmm I still think the Emporer is naked.

Sorry. Didn't mean to come off like that if I did. I totally value everyone's opinion. Only tired of everyone being so negative.

IME, the "true fan" debates inevitably end up as sideshow gutter wrestling matches. Everyone involved feels they have the moral high ground. I think mjohnson, the friendly sage, nailed it in his post directly after mine. We're all fans, we just have different ways of expressing our fanaticism.

IME, the "true fan" debates inevitably end up as sideshow gutter wrestling matches. Everyone involved feels they have the moral high ground. I think mjohnson, the friendly sage, nailed it in his post directly after mine. We're all fans, we just have different ways of expressing our fanaticism.

Well put. Everyone here wants the Huskers to be successful.

I agree completely nexus. Welcome. I understand being frustrated or disappointed, but I thought a fan supported his team instead of degrading it. It seems, like you said, a lot of comments are fire everyone, or bagging everyone's play. It's horrible. Recruits and future players read this crap and are put off by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back