• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked What does Northwestern's recruiting success say about the status of Nebraska Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm impressed with Fitz, but this nonsense of using Northwestern's recruiting as a way to denigrate our recruiting is pure carp.

The sensitivity is amusing. Saying that Northwestern has something going and, perhaps Pelini could learn something from it, does not necessarily denigrate our recruiting - try ditching those tighty whities for some boxers.

You need to chill and push away from the keyboard for a minute or two.....Weinosker has posted some fair points....debate him....and others and quit throwing out insults left and right.....its not that hard to do....I don't want to have close what has been a decent thread with a good discussion....

Thanks,

RR

It's also possible that Fitz is simply reaping the benefits of posting the best season they've had since 1996, and the lack of viable alternatives in their immediate recruiting area, which is a pretty deep demographic.

Fitz may be using the commit now or lose our offer technique. Pelini does not use pressure tactics on recruits.

Get over it.

I think the implied conclusion to your observation is wrong. It is confounded. There are a lot better questions that could be asked.

I see NW is doing well at recruiting. What factors are making them so strong this early in the period? Are they doing anything different? Is there a strategy in play at NW that Bo and Co. should examine? etc. etc.

I like to quote myself. But the entire problem with this thread is encapsulated in the above comment.

We are all basically in a agreement, but semantics have gotten in the way.

All should be able agree on these things:

1. This one year period doesn't make NW great.
2. NW current success doesn't mean Nebraska is doing bad.
3. NW and Fitz maybe doing something different. IF so... is it something the huskers need to do? Or is is a NW specific factor?
4. There are too many variables with each individual recruit to try and say IF both schools offered and NW gets the commit that Bo and Co. are doing something wrong. (Those comparisons are as useful as ..... derogatory/offensive phrase)
5. GBR

Last edited:

The sensitivity is amusing. Saying that Northwestern has something going and, perhaps Pelini could learn something from it, does not necessarily denigrate our recruiting - try ditching those tighty whities for some boxers.

Well, I happen to agree with that. However, recruiting to NW is simply not the same as recruiting to Nebraska, so I question whether there is anything Fitz has accomplished in a single recruiting class that Pelini needs to learn.

Its been interesting to follow. They've filled out 10 of their 15 spots and are well into the top 25 in recruiting rankings and yet here we sit at 1? :confused: While the 'Cats have enjoyed some recent success, the Huskers have a much better brand of football...but maybe all our tradition is lost on these young high schoolers? I'd love to hear what the regular recruitniks on the board say about this one.

I'm not saying we're in trouble, I just find it interesting that an Academics focused school with an awful stadium and poor fan showing is doing as well as it is thus far.

Their work means absolutely nothing to us

I like to quote myself. But the entire problem with this thread is encapsulated in the above comment.

We are all basically in a agreement, but semantics have gotten in the way.

All should be able agree on these things:

1. This one year period doesn't make NW great.
2. NW current success doesn't mean Nebraska is doing bad.
3. NW and Fitz maybe doing something different. IF so... is it something the huskers need to do? Or is is a NW specific factor?
4. There are too many variables with each individual recruit to try and say IF both schools offered and NW gets the commit that Bo and Co. are doing something wrong. (Those comparisons are as useful as ..... derogatory/offensive phrase)
5. GBR

This is a good post - I think where the debate should lie is in #3. It's possible that Northwestern IS doing something that NU could learn from. You could also be correct, that it's a one-year anamoly that means nothing.

Here's a good blog posting (I apologize if it's already been posted). But, it certainly doesn't appear as if Northwestern is applying any pressure that Pelini would be unwilling to apply.

http://www.laketheposts.com/2013/05/07/the-next-level-of-recruiting/

I tend to think there's something there. I'm in sales management as a career, so maybe I look at this differently. I'm always trying to figure out what my competition is doing, because you can always tweak your approach (while staying true to your core) and get better. The best way to learn is to see something that someone else is doing well.

From a quick google search, one thing that I noticed is that Northwestern seems to bringing kids onto campus earlier... Might that be something that would help? I think there was another thread where Els talked about this, but is it possible it means more than what our staff may think...?

recruiting to NW is simply not the same as recruiting to Nebraska

Right. Its far more difficult. The academic standards that must be met is the first hurdle (and its an exceedingly large one since Northwestern doesnt bend like other institutions *cough* Stanford *cough*. Then comes the fact that Northwestern doesnt have the best facilities. Then you have to look at a lack of putting people into the pros. Then you have to consider their isnt a whole lot of fan support.

I mean its a very different proposition for these high schoolers. The academics and location being the upswing and the advantage over Nebraska. AND YET, there seems to be a difference in recruiting success. I agree that #3 of Native's post is where I wanted to point attention to with this thread and I think its something our coaches should evaluate and address.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, but in what world would it make sense to have a recruiting plan for 2014 in place and been executing it for the past 12+ months, but because we have two non-binding commitments in May and someone else has more, panic and abandon that plan IN THE MIDDLE of spring evaluation period and instead have our staff waste their time evaluating Northwestern's class/recruiting strategy in June and "trying to learn from it"? Jeebus, it ain't February yet and last I checked we did better than they did last February...and pretty much every year before that.

The ten coaches plus everyone else in North Stadium has far more experience at how to do this than anyone commenting about it. I see one thing they are doing...they are trying to get in on more of these kids that make a jump later in/after their JR year. Another is camp evaluation and BRW. This is all just wasted electrons in June.

I'm sorry, but in what world would it make sense to have a recruiting plan for 2014 in place and been executing it for the past 12+ months, but because we have two non-binding commitments in May and someone else has more, panic and abandon that plan IN THE MIDDLE of spring evaluation period and instead have our staff waste their time evaluating Northwestern's class/recruiting strategy in June and "trying to learn from it"? Jeebus, it ain't February yet and last I checked we did better than they did last February...and pretty much every year before that.

The ten coaches plus everyone else in North Stadium has far more experience at how to do this than anyone commenting about it. I see one thing they are doing...they are trying to get in on more of these kids that make a jump later in/after their JR year. Another is camp evaluation and BRW. This is all just wasted electrons in June.

You had to go "negative" didn't you. trying to get this thread locked FLAS?

Albeit, the year is half over, this could be construed as the poty...

Right. Its far more difficult. The academic standards that must be met is the first hurdle (and its an exceedingly large one since Northwestern doesnt bend like other institutions *cough* Stanford *cough*. Then comes the fact that Northwestern doesnt have the best facilities. Then you have to look at a lack of putting people into the pros. Then you have to consider their isnt a whole lot of fan support.

I mean its a very different proposition for these high schoolers. The academics and location being the upswing and the advantage over Nebraska. AND YET, there seems to be a difference in recruiting success. I agree that #3 of Native's post is where I wanted to point attention to with this thread and I think its something our coaches should evaluate and address.

I get your post and agree with it all... But I think what SoCal was saying was, yes Northwestern has a lot of obstacles in their recruiting... but Nebraska doesn't have any of these said obstacles, so is there really anything Pelini could learn from fitz? I could be wrong, but that's how i interpreted it at least.

And to answer #3 on Native's post, I think it is a NW specific thing because recruiting to every school is different. We all have our strengths and weaknesses in recruiting, and there could be years when prospects long for NW instead of Neb... but I think those years are outliers from the common norm.

I get your post and agree with it all... But I think what SoCal was saying was, yes Northwestern has a lot of obstacles in their recruiting... but Nebraska doesn't have any of these said obstacles, so is there really anything Pelini could learn from fitz? I could be wrong, but that's how i interpreted it at least.

And to answer #3 on Native's post, I think it is a NW specific thing because recruiting to every school is different. We all have our strengths and weaknesses in recruiting, and there could be years when prospects long for NW instead of Neb... but I think those years are outliers from the common norm.

I tend to agree with you on #3. That is why I included an all caps "IF".....

I think that's where a lot of the disagreement here is coming from. There's no reason to stop what we're doing at this point or completely change anything this year.

That said, there's value in looking at what Northwestern is doing and thinking about how we could incorporate it into the 2015 recruiting plan. And, it's possible some elements could be added to enhance the 2014 plan.

Multi-Billion $ organizations are constantly looking at how their competition is executing and incorporating best practices into their own processes. Why shouldn't the Husker coaching staff do the same?

Boy did some guys get their panties in a bunch over this one. I think it's a reasonable question to ask - it's possible Northwestern is doing something that Pelini & Co. could learn from and get better.

No one actually thinks that Pelini has this thing entirely licked at this point, do they?

I think that Pelini has completely revamped the approach to recruiting, especially after the old offensive staff was gone. And we have seen some creative and aggressive methods being instituted. I would expect they'll sit down after the recruiting season, just as they have done, and evaluate how well things have worked and what changes might need to be made.

And that might well include taking a hard look at what other programs are doing. I mean, what do you think this staff does in the off-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back