• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Well Happy Friday then!

I think it is just a personal preference. The 4-3 style that Miami developed so well and then Nebraska employed in the glory years isn't going to work as well in today's game. All the rush ends did was run up field and meet at the QB or RB. Today's spread offense is designed to counter that by getting the ball out of the back field quickly.

A 3-4 is a much more versatile defense in being able to move guys around and such, but it takes really specific body types to run it at the NG, and OLB spots and even at the DE spots. While the 4-3 is less married to body types. Both can be very successful.
I like this post. That's where i'm at with the 3-4 in today's game. There's too much you have to be able to defend to have 4 down linemen on the field, and 4 LBs/4 DBs gives you more options. But I get where he's coming from that a 4-3 can make you a bit stronger up front.

My glass is half full and i've said this before, but if Luke Gifford is an all-conference player and grew up in Lincoln, what's going to happen when we actually recruit to OLB (Giff was recruited to a 4-3)? Further, if we had an all-conference player 5 minutes from our stadium, is it really that hard to recruit to? If we would have had 2 Luke Gifford's all year, we would have been pretty salty on defense. I'm oversimplifying things to make a point, but my argument is always people think it's too tough to recruit the things that you don't currently have.

You listen to everything you read about and I feel that RB regardless of what happens with Mo Washington should be better in year 2 ... more people will be ingrained in the system and culture which should help.

I agree with you on Mo Washington ... he showed up in August was almost immediately thrust into the playing circuit ... never had time to get acclimated, hasn't been through a full year of S&C, hard to believe he's keeping up with grades/classes.

I have high hopes for Jaylin Bradley ... I believe he'll be this year's Ozigbo.

PS .. Watch out for ISU ... if Steve Prohm leaves for Alabama, it would not surprise me to see Hoiberg back in Ames. You can almost feel Moos hoping that NU loses to TCU so that he can complete the transaction!
Ya, RB will be fine with Held in the room. Not an issue if Greg Bell decides to not take the easy way out of things. Fall we won't have any problems regardless of Washington. But he's an elite talent that we hope we can pull in to doing the right things.

I think you're right with Hoiberg. We need it to be over sooner than later.

I think what we do is a base 3-4 but we spent a lot of time in the 4-3 last year. We brought up 1-2 players to the line quite a bit against rushing teams. That is the flexibility of the 3-4 ONCE YOU GET ALL OF THE RIGHT GUYS in place. They are recruiting to that now. The key is the offense does not always know who is coming. When you have a 5 man front each OL knows who they are blocking. When you go to a 4 man front and rush 5 the OL has to guess where #5 is coming from. Guess wrong and he is running free to the QB or RB. When you move to a three man front it is hard to tell whether they come with 3, 4, or 5. Also completely unknown where they are coming from. Additionally it puts more play makers with speed on the field. 2 years ago our D coordinator had guys reacting slow as they were not sure what to do. Last year you could start to see them playing faster towards the end of the season. I think that will carry over and lead to some good D play this year.

I think it is just a personal preference. The 4-3 style that Miami developed so well and then Nebraska employed in the glory years isn't going to work as well in today's game. All the rush ends did was run up field and meet at the QB or RB. Today's spread offense is designed to counter that by getting the ball out of the back field quickly.

A 3-4 is a much more versatile defense in being able to move guys around and such, but it takes really specific body types to run it at the NG, and OLB spots and even at the DE spots. While the 4-3 is less married to body types. Both can be very successful.

You guys both make good points and the 3-4 can be a great defense with the right personnel. The four man fronts we ran last year where largely smallish and didn’t quite get the job done. Flexibility is still there though. I will say the same for the 4-3. I can go big with personnel adjustments when needed or small as Pelini and McBride both did often in their own versions of the 4-3. Either defense can be great or not so great depending on the Jimmies and Joes.

This was a poke in the ribs for *** since he’s a yuge 3-4 fan.

You guys both make good points and the 3-4 can be a great defense with the right personnel. The four man fronts we ran last year where largely smallish and didn’t quite get the job done. Flexibility is still there though. I will say the same for the 4-3. I can go big with personnel adjustments when needed or small as Pelini and McBride both did often in their own versions of the 4-3. Either defense can be great or not so great depending on the Jimmies and Joes.

This was a poke in the ribs for *** since he’s a yuge 3-4 fan.
C'mon man don't make him leave again...:Biggrin:

We can agree t disagree without poo flinging, so it’s all good. Respect his opinions, even the one about the 3-4.
Exactly! I think what those of us, who enjoy discussing football and specifically the stuff *** posts, need to do is avoid falling into the trap of arguing with those whose primary purpose is to disrupt the conversation and make it about themselves. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!

Ya, RB will be fine with Held in the room. Not an issue if Greg Bell decides to not take the easy way out of things. Fall we won't have any problems regardless of Washington. But he's an elite talent that we hope we can pull in to doing the right things.

:thumbsup:

Also nice to see I'm not one of those you have on ignore!

Exactly! I think what those of us, who enjoy discussing football and specifically the stuff *** posts, need to do is avoid falling into the trap of arguing with those whose primary purpose is to disrupt the conversation and make it about themselves. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!

They’re just like my little sister.

Kick the trolls in the pills.

I'm big on a good DG, rush end and lockdown corner as a necessity in today's game.How do you think we are on those positions?

I like this post. That's where i'm at with the 3-4 in today's game. There's too much you have to be able to defend to have 4 down linemen on the field, and 4 LBs/4 DBs gives you more options. But I get where he's coming from that a 4-3 can make you a bit stronger up front.

My glass is half full and i've said this before, but if Luke Gifford is an all-conference player and grew up in Lincoln, what's going to happen when we actually recruit to OLB (Giff was recruited to a 4-3)? Further, if we had an all-conference player 5 minutes from our stadium, is it really that hard to recruit to? If we would have had 2 Luke Gifford's all year, we would have been pretty salty on defense. I'm oversimplifying things to make a point, but my argument is always people think it's too tough to recruit the things that you don't currently have.

As I have said before, I am not a huge body type guy. If they can play they can play. If the guy we are recruiting to play OLB is 6'4" 245 great but that doesn't make him a great player. I don't like to pick on a player, but Alex Davis has the perfect OLB body type, he is average at best. I hope the light comes on for his senior year. Ferguson is not an ideal body type and if he would have been healthy all last year we would have had the bookend to Gifford. JoJo is going to be playing a lot of OLB this year at 6'1".

NG is a little different situation you need the big guy that can eat up space, but that doesn't mean they have to weight 340. Their are always exceptions to that rule. I'll say it again if a guy can play he can play. I know their are ideal sizes, but there are too many exceptions to count.

edit: I know I just said the opposite of my first post. Ideally the 3-4 has specific body types but it doesn't have to be that way. Even though Wisconsin never seems to run out of small town 6'4" 245 lb linebackers with mean streaks.

Last edited:

I agree, after what he did with Ziggy last year I have all the confidence in the world.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back