• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Welcome to the B1G, Rutgers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

No History: True, they played the first ever game. And the second, splitting the games with Princeton (the only other team playing football). Because of that they can claim a shared "National Title". This is the equivalent of pee-baseball's "everyone get's a trophy" rule.

So, why not bring in Princeton? They can claim ~28 shared national titles, though most also are before 1900. Or Cornell? Penn? Even Lafayette and Washington and Jefferson have shares of MNCs, long after Rutgers magic 1-1 championship season.

Oh, so before the 1970 season, there shouldn't be a champion crowned for that year? Did Nebraska not have a football team prior to 1900? Times were a different then, true. The fact still remains: Rutgers has a TON of history. Maybe not recent history, but it's there.

No Tradition: The Empire State in red is cool. The rest? Wear your school colors? Jingle keys? Say hi to players? A school fight song? Meh.....

Subjective much? I don't get jazzed out when UNL lets go of balloons after their first score/TD. I don't get jazzed when The Best Damn Band in the Land dot's the I. I don't get jazzed when Michigan's band plays 'Hail to the Victors'. I don't get jazzed when I see the stupids jump around before the 4th quarter in Camp Randall. C'mon man..

No Fans: You even said it, no fan support.

That should be a criteria?

Looking forward to watching your team play, and swoop in and steal some of your recruits :Biggrin:

Their AD was on the radio this morning and feels quite opposite. He stated they are excited to be able to offer kids a reason to stay local instead of going to the other schools in the BIG.

Oh, so before the 1970 season, there shouldn't be a champion crowned for that year? Did Nebraska not have a football team prior to 1900? Times were a different then, true. The fact still remains: Rutgers has a TON of history. Maybe not recent history, but it's there.

Subjective much? I don't get jazzed out when UNL lets go of balloons after their first score/TD. I don't get jazzed when The Best Damn Band in the Land dot's the I. I don't get jazzed when Michigan's band plays 'Hail to the Victors'. I don't get jazzed when I see the stupids jump around before the 4th quarter in Camp Randall. C'mon man..

That should be a criteria?

OK, let me put this a different way. Rutgers has some history (very distant). They have traditions. So does every college football team in the country, DI to DIII to high school. My point is that there is absolutely nothing that Rutgers brings to the table that makes them special, besides their television market.

Why then does Rutgers/Maryland bother me? It's not an expansion that maintains the culture, or brings in like-minded institutions. There's nothing in common between these schools and the Big 10. This is a marriage of convenience. We bail them out of their fiscal depths, they bring the tvs.

Nebraska fans could tell you a similar story. A long time ago (way back in the mid 90s) there was concern that the Big 8 conference was losing impact, as national demographics were shifting and we weren't in enough of the major television markets to negotiate top dollar tv contracts. Enter Texas. We bailed them and their little sisters out, and they brought the tvs. A marriage of convenience. And you can see how that marriage worked out. There was a mixture of cultures (midwest, Texan, Coloradan), and not a lot of cohesive camaraderie. The Big 12 has lost 4 members, brought in even more cultural disparity, so you still have a conference full of instability.

The thing the I love about the B1G is that it's a Midwestern conference. We fit in, I believe. So no, I don't want to boot NW. We have ties beyond sports. We have a common culture. That's why I'm not for bringing in schools simply because they reside in a zip code where we could make a little money. I'm not saying that Maryland/Rutgers will be the preening prima donnas that is Texas, but there is nothing that ties them to other B1G institutions besides money. And money's not enough to make a marriage last. Trust me, we at NU know this all too well.

Last edited:
OK, let me put this a different way. Rutgers has some history (very distant). They have traditions. So does every college football team in the country, DI to DIII to high school. My point is that there is absolutely nothing that Rutgers brings to the table that makes them special, besides their television market.

Why then does Rutgers/Maryland bother me? It's not an expansion that maintains the culture, or brings in like-minded institutions. There's nothing in common between these schools and the Big 10. This is a marriage of convenience. We bail them out of their fiscal depths, they bring the tvs.

Nebraska fans could tell you a similar story. A long time ago (way back in the mid 90s) there was concern that the Big 8 conference was losing impact, as national demographics were shifting and we weren't in enough of the major television markets to negotiate top dollar tv contracts. Enter Texas. We bailed them and their little sisters out, and they brought the tvs. A marriage of convenience. And you can see how that marriage worked out. There was a mixture of cultures (midwest, Texan, Coloradan), and not a lot of cohesive camaraderie. The Big 12 has lost 4 members, brought in even more cultural disparity, so you still have a conference full of instability.

The thing the I love about the B1G is that it's a Midwestern conference. We fit in, I believe. So no, I don't want to boot NW. We have ties beyond sports. We have a common culture. That's why I'm not for bringing in schools simply because they reside in a zip code where we could make a little money. I'm not saying that Maryland/Rutgers will be the preening prima donnas that is Texas, but there is nothing that ties them to other B1G institutions besides money. And money's not enough to make a marriage last. Trust me, we at NU know this all too well.

Oh, I can understand why one would want to keep the B1G a midwestern conference. And I'm fully aware that both teams are being brought into the fold because we can scratch their backs while they scratch ours (for the reasons you stated).

I'm just not one to shy away from something 'ground breaking'. And while reaching out of a conference's demographics isn't necessarily groundbreaking (you already mentioned the Big12 and now the SEC), it's nice, IMO, that Delany isn't afraid of expanding into demographics that aren't 'core' B1G regions.

Well, that is if you don't consider Penn State a East coast team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back