• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Welcome to the B1G, Rutgers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am convinced that many on this board have no clue about Rutgers.

Rutgers is at best a watered down Colorado. They have an athletic department that's struggled with fiscal viability. They have a football team that has risen out of the mud a few times to be competitive, but have no top-side potential. They'll fluctuate between perineal also-rans and bottom dwellers.

Rutgers is 9-1. The win over Arkansas looked big at the time, before we knew what a horrible mess they would be. What other wins are big? Over 6-5 Syracuse? 4-6 UConn? Cincy, who lost to Toledo and an equally overrated Louisville team.

They lost to Kent State, who's only other game against a BCS team was a blow-out loss to Kentucky.

The Big East is so bad this year, even though Rutgers may win the Big East crown, it would struggle to win the MAC conference crown.

So, why should I be in awe of Rutgers, besides their television sets?

Sat, Sept 1

1-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 8

2-0 (0-0)
Thu, Sept 13

3-0 (1-0)
Sat, Sept 22

4-0 (1-0)
Sat, Oct 6

5-0 (2-0)
Sat, Oct 13

6-0 (3-0)
Sat, Oct 20

7-0 (4-0)
Sat, Oct 27

7-1 (4-0)
Sat, Nov 10

8-1 (4-0)
Sat, Nov 17

9-1 (5-0)

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:

Rutgers is at best a watered down Colorado. They have an athletic department that's struggled with fiscal viability. They have a football team that has risen out of the mud a few times to be competitive, but have no top-side potential. They'll fluctuate between perineal also-rans and bottom dwellers.

Rutgers is 9-1. The win over Arkansas looked big at the time, before we knew what a horrible mess they would be. What other wins are big? Over 6-5 Syracuse? 4-6 UConn? Cincy, who lost to Toledo and an equally overrated Louisville team.

They lost to Kent State, who's only other game against a BCS team was a blow-out loss to Kentucky.

The Big East is so bad this year, even though Rutgers may win the Big East crown, it would struggle to win the MAC conference crown.

So, why should I be in awe of Rutgers, besides their television sets?

Sat, Sept 1

1-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 8

2-0 (0-0)
Thu, Sept 13

3-0 (1-0)
Sat, Sept 22

4-0 (1-0)
Sat, Oct 6

5-0 (2-0)
Sat, Oct 13

6-0 (3-0)
Sat, Oct 20

7-0 (4-0)
Sat, Oct 27

7-1 (4-0)
Sat, Nov 10

8-1 (4-0)
Sat, Nov 17

9-1 (5-0)

<tbody>
</tbody>

Uhh.. As a Nebraska fan, you shouldn't be in awe of Rutgers. Given the circumstances, advantages and resources Rutgers has, they have been doing great the past 7 or so years. Including many 8 win seasons. I know in Nebraska an 8 win season is a terrible, terrible year. But lets stop and reflect on how not every program has the great fortune and rich history the Huskers (or any other traditional powerhouse/helmet school) has. So, respectively, despite their schedule, the Scarlet Knights have played more than admirably, this year and recent years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them be a middle of the pack team in the B1G.

this is why I love college football, fans can believe and say anything. rutgers a so so big east team is so far over their head, they will be calling for help===you know asking for thirty minute football games. Just make things clear, the best football coach in the US is in Lincoln.

and he retired in 1997 pal

Last edited:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them be a middle of the pack team in the B1G.

Exactly. One of their best teams, and they'd end up in the middle of the pack, maybe.

No history, no tradition, no fans, but so many sweet, sweet, television sets.

This is a sell-out deal, plain and simple.

Exactly. One of their best teams, and they'd end up in the middle of the pack, maybe.

To be fair to RU, they have definitely been on the upswing in football over the last decade...major major investments in facilities upgrades, coaches salaries and other things...I've read they've poured over 100 million into the football operations...Schiano got them on the right trajectory when he was at RU prior to his move to Tampa Bay.

To be fair to RU, they have definitely been on the upswing in football over the last decade...major major investments in facilities upgrades, coaches salaries and other things...I've read they've poured over 100 million into the football operations...Schiano got them on the right trajectory when he was at RU prior to his move to Tampa Bay.

Yes, now they have a capacity of 52K, which they don't sell-out. You'll never convince me that the on the field product is even remotely close relative to pretty much any other school. Like I said before, Rutgers is a watered-down Colorado.

This is all about television sets.

Yes, now they have a capacity of 52K, which they don't sell-out. You'll never convince me that the on the field product is even remotely close relative to pretty much any other school. Like I said before, Rutgers is a watered-down Colorado.

This is all about television sets.

With the potential to improve their lot. Thats why joining the BIG is a huge deal for them and Maryland. They will be able to improve their coaching, facilities and recruiting. Over time they will be competitive. Look at what the BTN has done for Northwestern, Indiana and Illinois - they are building their programs.

With the potential to improve their lot. Thats why joining the BIG is a huge deal for them and Maryland. They will be able to improve their coaching, facilities and recruiting. Over time they will be competitive. Look at what the BTN has done for Northwestern, Indiana and Illinois - they are building their programs.

NW made a great hire in Pat Fitzergerald....I liked him when he was a player and now like him even more as a coach...he's a great fit at NW and think he'll retire at NW.

I'm not arguing that the B1G added them and Maryland for the tv sets out East.

But the bolded, kind sir, is fightin' words. They are one half of the very first college football game. They share a National title with Princeton. Hell, their campus is known as "The Birthplace of College Football". That's history. Looks like they have some pretty comparable traditions, too. As far as fans go, not easy to have a huge or even a big fan following when you are in the biggest market in the world that has (what? 10?) pro teams. Especially when your success prior to the last decade has been abysmal. Northwestern doesn't have a great following either. Should we can them, too?

I do not care for Rutgers and now I can for them even less...............it is a long story but it does involve UofL

And, yes it was for the TV audience but ask yourself it is a beautiful Saturday afternoon in New England are you going to sit inside and watch Rutgers get pounded or go outside and enjoy the fall foliage? hmmm Batman:2cents:

Last edited:

I do not care for Rutgers and now I can for them even less...............it is a long story but it does involve UofL

And, yes it was for the TV audience but ask yourself it is a beautiful Saturday afternoon in New England are you going to sit inside and watch Rutgers get pounded or go outside and enjoy the fall foliage? hmmm Batman:2cents:

Where exactly inside are you going to sit? The bar? Because High Point Stadium is an outdoor stadium.

But the bolded, kind sir, is fightin' words. They are one half of the very first college football game. They share a National title with Princeton. Hell, their campus is known as "The Birthplace of College Football". That's history. Looks like they have some pretty comparable traditions, too. As far as fans go, not easy to have a huge or even a big fan following when you are in the biggest market in the world that has (what? 10?) pro teams. Especially when your success prior to the last decade has been abysmal. Northwestern doesn't have a great following either. Should we can them, too?

and they won

No History: True, they played the first ever game. And the second, splitting the games with Princeton (the only other team playing football). Because of that they can claim a shared "National Title". This is the equivalent of pee-baseball's "everyone get's a trophy" rule.

So, why not bring in Princeton? They can claim ~28 shared national titles, though most also are before 1900. Or Cornell? Penn? Even Lafayette and Washington and Jefferson have shares of MNCs, long after Rutgers magic 1-1 championship season.

No Tradition: The Empire State in red is cool. The rest? Wear your school colors? Jingle keys? Say hi to players? A school fight song? Meh.....

No Fans: You even said it, no fan support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back