• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We have Matt Rhule, Fred Hoiberg, Amy Williams and John Cook

100%, part

100%, particularly the last paragraph. The problem is not that other programs in the athletic department aren’t thriving or trending up. The problem is that none of it matters if the football team isn’t one of the big boys. All the shuffling and movement isn’t close to being done. Staying in the Big10+ or whatever it will call itself in 10-15 years is not a given. How happy will everyone be when conference volleyball rivals include Iowa State, Oregon State, Fresno State, Boise State, and several other programs that didn’t have enough juice to make the football cut? This is not about the athletic program as a whole. That’s irrelevant. It’s about football, tv viewers, brand, and “contribution.”

Yeah and greed knows no end game. This is really about 8-10 teams consolidating power, under the cloak of two conferences. Don’t believe, for one minute, that that big boys of the B1G give two farts about Nebraska and the also-rans. Neither do Texas and aTm give a whit about Ole Miss or Tennessee.

There are 8-10 programs that have the means to fund pro teams and compete with the NFL for players; all the rest will be tackling dummies.

Saban said basically this, just a few days ago.

Last edited:

Trev made it clear leadership was the key. I can only guess but here is what I think happened. The Scoggin mess boiled up and someone up the chain who Trev was counting to back him went into the CYA mode and left him on his own. I've been in exactly this situation and when you count on your boss to have your back and instead they dive for cover leaving you stranded there is no reason to stay. Trev was probably not culpable in that whole mess but the absence of backing starts to look inflammatory. I don't blame him for leaving if that is what happened. When people show you who they are, believe them.

Yeah and greed knows no end game. This is really about 8-10 teams consolidating power, under the cloak of two conferences. Don’t believe, for one minute, that that big boys of the B1G give two farts about Nebraska and the also-rans. Neither do Texas and aTm give a whit about Ole Miss or Tennessee.

There are 8-10 programs that have the means to fund pro teams and compete with the NFL for players; all the rest will be tackling dummies.

Saban said basically this, just a few days ago.

“It’s not greed that drives the world, it’s envy” Charlie Munger

Then let those 8 teams play each other 3 times a year like the USFL without a fan base. The Tennessee, Nebraska, Ole Miss…Kansas St, Colorado, Iowa State, Missouri.. can all carry on with a much greater fan base snd a product that could flourish without the root of most all the problems in college athletics.

But we don’t want that, we want to have what the jones have. That’s envy and it is what prevents us from fixing the problem.

“It’s not greed that drives the world, it’s envy” Charlie Munger

Then let those 8 teams play each other 3 times a year like the USFL without a fan base. The Tennessee, Nebraska, Ole Miss…Kansas St, Colorado, Iowa State, Missouri.. can all carry on with a much greater fan base snd a product that could flourish without the root of most all the problems in college athletics.

But we don’t want that, we want to have what the jones have. That’s envy and it is what prevents us from fixing the problem.

A lot of wisdom in that. We are drunk with euphoria that we are in the “right” conference. But those that are running to B1G and SEC bear watching. A few people are plotting the end of college football - and possibly all of college athletics as we know it, for their personal legacies and inurement.

Only a few will relish in we are left with. Too bad university presidents everywhere are not asserting themselves to head this off. But that would take leadership. Most of these clowns are academian followers.

I’ve got a crazy theory but hear me out. Trev left because Trev wanted to leave. He interviewed for the open Big Ten commish in early 2023, well before Ted Carter left for Columbus.

Trev was taking the first step up that came his way. The idea this was some kind of political thing or leadership vacuum is laughable.

Yep, exactly.

Picture if another university comes calling for Rhule. Oklahoma, LSU, Clemson, North Carolina, FSU, etc.

A school like that doesn't necessarily have to have Alabama, Ohio State or Georgia, but if they have the resources, the cash, the donors, and a really engaged AD, it would be hard for a coach to pass that up.

Remember, we're fans, but for these guys it's a career. I've left jobs that paid really well, but were ran by incompetent farts.
I think Rhule stays at NU as long as he feels he has the support to build and maintain an elite program. If he loses that, I agree, he's gone.

I’ve got a crazy theory but hear me out. Trev left because Trev wanted to leave. He interviewed for the open Big Ten commish in early 2023, well before Ted Carter left for Columbus.

Trev was taking the first step up that came his way. The idea this was some kind of political thing or leadership vacuum is laughable.
I see Big Ten commisioner as a move up, so I wouldn't begrudge him that. I see Texas A&M as a lateral move and nonsensical to me. A&M even has the same, if not more, admistration issues and donor meddling. Somehow the grass looked greener to Trev and he jumped the fence. As Rhule said, that's Trev's story to tell.

Trev made it clear leadership was the key. I can only guess but here is what I think happened. The Scoggin mess boiled up and someone up the chain who Trev was counting to back him went into the CYA mode and left him on his own. I've been in exactly this situation and when you count on your boss to have your back and instead they dive for cover leaving you stranded there is no reason to stay. Trev was probably not culpable in that whole mess but the absence of backing starts to look inflammatory. I don't blame him for leaving if that is what happened. When people show you who they are, believe them.
You are very close based on what I am hearing. I just didn't want to be the one to say it. His contract, even though just signed, came under scrutiny by some of the uppers after the lawsuit came out. There was much more to it than just this but I'm guessing he felt if they needed a head on the platter his big contract might be the one they went after. He asked for some assurances and didn't get the support he had expected.

Here is the thing. And I have been trying to hint at this. There were some issues. Especially with one booster who wanted him gone. But someone above him knew something. It seems awful strange that without even having naming anyone to be on a search committee, they have managed to hire a guy 6 days later? His boss above his boss had a short list? Something seems strange. Now I'm not complaining. Just noting it.

I see Big Ten commisioner as a move up, so I wouldn't begrudge him that. I see Texas A&M as a lateral move and nonsensical to me. A&M even has the same, if not more, admistration issues and donor meddling. Somehow the grass looked greener to Trev and he jumped the fence. As Rhule said, that's Trev's story to tell.

Whether A&M is a "better" job is in the eye of the beholder. But it's definitely a bigger job. The Texas A&M endowment is $20 billion, the largest of any public university and on par with many Ivy league schools. The place is a money printing machine.

Trev doesn't have to worry about whether money can be raised to meet both NIL and facilities improvements. There is money for anything and everything. Your coach is guaranteed $75 million even if he fails spectacularly? Barely an inconvenience.

Whether A&M is a "better" job is in the eye of the beholder. But it's definitely a bigger job. The Texas A&M endowment is $20 billion, the largest of any public university and on par with many Ivy league schools. The place is a money printing machine.

Trev doesn't have to worry about whether money can be raised to meet both NIL and facilities improvements. There is money for anything and everything. Your coach is guaranteed $75 million even if he fails spectacularly? Barely an inconvenience.
I realize everything aTm is bigger, bolder, and gilded in gold, but being a former player, a legend, an alum has to count for something. I don't think Trev was looking for a better AD position. I think he was running from something and that's pretty disappointing to me.

Husker athletics are in good shape. If Trev doesn't want to be here, so be it. I'll take these four coaches and the other great coaches at the university!

Mods: I put this on the football page for overall exposure
The overall concern would be that if leadership continues to be a question mark, how likely are those coaches to move on. Cook will probably retire, rather than move on, but the other three could get coaxed away if they feel like Nebraska isn't the place for them. Having a great AD won't automatically make everything great, but having a bad one can have serious repercussions.

I realize everything aTm is bigger, bolder, and gilded in gold, but being a former player, a legend, an alum has to count for something. I don't think Trev was looking for a better AD position. I think he was running from something and that's pretty disappointing to me.

I was all-in on Trev. I thought that chair was filled for at least another decade. He's a great communicator and more importantly, a thoughtful and authoritative leader. You can't let the tail wag the dog and that's what dudes like Eichorst and Moos allowed. With Trev, there was never a doubt who's in charge.

He also has a plus-sized ego, which is probably the norm for ex-Butkus award winners. I don't think he ran away from anything. Every major program is fraught with politics and instability (especially places like A&M). Dude's with big egos are almost always looking to the next big thing. Trev wanted to fry bigger fish. I think it's that simple.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back