• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We have Matt Rhule, Fred Hoiberg, Amy Williams and John Cook

I was looking at the other side of the coin, I didn't think Trev would leave with all the major programs either in good shape or on the upswing, to take a job where they aren't.

The point isn't that we have four good coaches right now so "screw Trev". If NU has a leadership issue (lack of leadership, toxicity, etc) that isn't resolved, other universities will come calling for all those coaches and they won't be staying either.

I guarantee Matt Rhule's name just went to the top of several AD's list of potential next coaches they keep tucked away. Hoiberg too.

The point isn't that we have four good coaches right now so "screw Trev". If NU has a leadership issue (lack of leadership, toxicity, etc) that isn't resolved, other universities will come calling for all those coaches and they won't be staying either.

I guarantee Matt Rhule's name just went to the top of several AD's list of potential next coaches they keep tucked away. Hoiberg too.

Yep, exactly.

Picture if another university comes calling for Rhule. Oklahoma, LSU, Clemson, North Carolina, FSU, etc.

A school like that doesn't necessarily have to have Alabama, Ohio State or Georgia, but if they have the resources, the cash, the donors, and a really engaged AD, it would be hard for a coach to pass that up.

Remember, we're fans, but for these guys it's a career. I've left jobs that paid really well, but were ran by incompetent farts.

Fred was asked about Trev's departure post-game and Fred gave a vote of confidence to the leadership in finding a good replacement. He wished Trev well, but certainly wasn't pushing the panic button.
On national TV, going into the semi finals…. They also asked him to assess Tominaga at halftime and he wouldn’t go so far as to acknowledge he was outplaying the water boy.
Trev or no Trev, the fate of Nebraska athletics hinges not on the AD but the leadership that has failed to replace the president, was enough of a red flag for Albert’s to bolt to A&M and has a 20+ year track record of not being able to get out of there own way.
Coach speak after a ballgame gives us zero inside on the mindset of the department. Panic button? In my view, no. But then again my button is still embedded from joining the b1g.

One theory: ADs generally get a free pass on one football coach firing/rehiring. The next one, the AD gets canned too.

Going to aTm, Trev is starting a fresh game of poker with new chips.

For a former Husker great to leave Alma for Aggie, there had to be some significant questions in Trev’s mind about his future job security.

Translated, there may be serious questions in trev’s mind as to whether he thinks he can deliver a nationally relevant football program at UNL. I suspect he saw the emerging arms race of quasi-pro teams and calculated that UNL won’t be a player in that space.

Last edited:
One theory: ADs generally get a free pass on one football coach firing/rehiring. The next one, the AD gets canned too.

For a former Husker great to leave Alma for Aggie, there had to be some significant questions in Trev’s mind about his future job security.

Translated, there may be serious questions in trev’s mind as to whether he thinks he can deliver a nationally relevant football program at UNL. I suspect he saw the emerging arms race of quasi-pro teams and calculated that UNL won’t be a player in that space.
And yet he went to a place that cycles through ADs regularly.

100%, part

100%, particularly the last paragraph. The problem is not that other programs in the athletic department aren’t thriving or trending up. The problem is that none of it matters if the football team isn’t one of the big boys. All the shuffling and movement isn’t close to being done. Staying in the Big10+ or whatever it will call itself in 10-15 years is not a given. How happy will everyone be when conference volleyball rivals include Iowa State, Oregon State, Fresno State, Boise State, and several other programs that didn’t have enough juice to make the football cut? This is not about the athletic program as a whole. That’s irrelevant. It’s about football, tv viewers, brand, and “contribution.”

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back