• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Way too early 2021 predictions

How many games does Nebraska win in 2021?

• Fewer than 4

Votes: 21 16.4%

Votes: 29 22.7%

Votes: 20 15.6%

Votes: 25 19.5%

Votes: 22 17.2%

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • 10+

Votes: 5 3.9%

• Total voters

???

I thought you were one of the pessimists?

You must have missed this when I posted it a couple days ago.

I also feel that the offense is just an accurate and deep threat QB away from taking off and setting scoring records at NU. That is the split personality talking but something deep down makes me feel that way.

C

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts on what NU looks like next year. For reference, the schedule is below.

In a vacuum, I like that we get Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin all in Lincoln. For road games, Michigan State has been having some tough luck lately and we also get to travel to Purdue. Minnesota in Minneapolis could be a deathtrap, but I also like that we start the season in Ireland (maybe? Covid?) against Illinois. Should be a good start against a team breaking in a new coach.

I'm excited about the trip to Norman, of course, but I also suspect we'll get Boomer'd by 40 points.

Illinois (Dublin, Ireland)
Buffalo

@Oklahoma
@Michigan State

Ohio State
Northwestern

@Purdue
Michigan
Iowa
Southeastern Louisiana

Wisconsin
@Minnesota

My gut says we beat Illinois, Buffalo, MSU, Purdue, and SE Louisiana (5 wins)
We lose to Oklahoma, Ohio State and Michigan (3 losses)
Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Northwestern are all toss ups, so I'll say we split the difference at 2-2.

That's 7-5, but knowing Frost's style of coaching, we'll piss away at least one game we should win, so we're hovering at 6-6 and bowl eligibility.
Exactly right.

I have learned not to bet against trends.

I think we have a shot at beating
Buffalo and directional Louisiana, but I have a hard time seeing many wins beyond those. Maybe Illinois if their plane gets lost. I am hard put to see any reason to think we will be favored in any other game with the team we now have. We might win one other somehow, but I don't think we win any based on coaching superiority, and I assume that we have the same QB starting and playing even when he is hurt. Nothing changes on play calling or on player on field discipline. We fumble as frequently, throw the ball erratically in very unsophisticated passing patterns, have stupid penalties at the wrong time killing drives, etc., just as we have done for three years. Our game plans remain bewildering. We have nearly bare WR and RB rooms, Between now and the first game we will lose one or two or three highly praised players.

We continue our slide., unfortunately. Soon we'll be challenging the Potsy Clark years.

I deep looking for the rose colored glasses, but they don't seem to sell them at my store.

I have learned not to bet against trends.

I think we have a shot at beating
Buffalo and directional Louisiana, but I have a hard time seeing many wins beyond those. Maybe Illinois if their plane gets lost. I am hard put to see any reason to think we will be favored in any other game with the team we now have. We might win one other somehow, but I don't think we win any based on coaching superiority, and I assume that we have the same QB starting and playing even when he is hurt. Nothing changes on play calling or on player on field discipline. We fumble as frequently, throw the ball erratically in very unsophisticated passing patterns, have stupid penalties at the wrong time killing drives, etc., just as we have done for three years. Our game plans remain bewildering. We have nearly bare WR and RB rooms, Between now and the first game we will lose one or two or three highly praised players.

We continue our slide., unfortunately. Soon we'll be challenging the Potsy Clark years.

I deep looking for the rose colored glasses, but they don't seem to sell them at my store.
So, how does Northwesterns trend hold?
I ask because theyre going through some major transitions there, several contributors are leaving there as well, their LBs are gone, and their 52 year coaching career DC is retiring.
Asking you, NWs trend changing or not?
We didnt play wiscy this year, so theres no direct comparisons to be had, but wiscy looks trending down, does this hold?

Now, lets look at Mich, they are definately trending down, so too is Mich St. Same for Purdue.

So much unknown at this point. Does the BIG allow spring practice? Not a gimme for sure. Do we bring in a transfer QB? If not, expect more of the same in terms of turnovers and miscues. AM is who he is and LM much the same. Do we change assistants? If not, expect the same thing next year on special teams. Maybe better punting if the Aussie kid heals, but poor coverage and return game for sure.

Do we get a transfer RB? Need a stud behind this more experience OL. RB is generally a position you show as a freshman if you are really good so I do not see that guy on the roster. Do we get transfer OLBs and secondary? First string is probably good to go but what happens when injuries pile up.

I voted 6-6 but so many unanswered questions, things can change in a heartbeat.
I believe the Huskers go 7-5, or Frost is Fired.
The Huskers likely lose to OU, MIchigan, OSU, WISKY, IOWA.

The 2021 football season will go off as usual. Come hell or high water.

Two consecutive seasons of major revenue losses would shut down many programs.

I think NU will get to 6 wins. Hopeful for more. But that will only happen if penalties, turnovers, and Special teams get fixed.

Like it was said.....way too early. I want to see what kind of changes are made before spring. If it is the same staff, practice patterns and such I'm going to say low. However if there are significant changes who knows.

Yeah that’s kind of the thing, right? I don’t have any confidence that more of the same is going to cut it. The solution doesn’t seem to be do what we’ve been doing but harder. If that was the case it would be fixed right now.

The problem is the staff seems to have maneuvered themselves into a situation where they are going to have to admit they’ve made some pretty big mistakes with a lot of aspects of the program. And to put it nicely this staff seems way to proud of what they do to ever admit that. So now from all appearances we’re stuck with “we’re going to do the same stuff but EVEN HARDER” and I just get a real hopeless feeling deep inside.

Still... I’m going to try my best to be in Norman next year and going to cheer my brains out but yeah my confidence in this staff’s ability to turn things around is nil.

Has there been a team in the last 20 years with a similar trajectory as ours that has turned things around with the same coaching staff?

EDIT: I mean freaking we’re basically doing the “Is he better than what we’ve got?” AGAIN by not going after a QB transfer after what has transpired at that position in the last year. What kind of insane commitment did Scott make to our QBs?

Last edited:
Just tagging onto the end. Don’t see it above five. I don’t agree with thought that any combination of NW, Wiscy, Iowan, or MN are likely wins or even toss ups for us. Also don’t agree with top level defense - that’s not happening as long as we give continue to give up 75% of 4th downs, or whatever it is. it is such an advantage for an opponent to know that if they get to 3rd and 3, they are definitely getting the first down. Special teams still a disaster.

I sooo want this to be wrong, to be able to look to improvement and development. But we just haven’t seen enough of it for me to be very optimistic.

I’ll tailgate, I’ll be there, and I’ll root as hard as anyone in this room. Probably harder. But I don’t see it. We’re a bottom rung team in the BiG.

Last edited:

Amazing. This board is generally way over optimistic on these predictions, as I suspect most fan boards for teams around the country are. But even taking that into account, over a third of the fan base on this board think that the team will not win more than 5 games, and way over half think they will win no more than 6 games.

Sad that we've come to this. We change nothing significant and think we will do better.

So, how does Northwesterns trend hold?
I ask because theyre going through some major transitions there, several contributors are leaving there as well, their LBs are gone, and their 52 year coaching career DC is retiring.
Asking you, NWs trend changing or not?
We didnt play wiscy this year, so theres no direct comparisons to be had, but wiscy looks trending down, does this hold?

Now, lets look at Mich, they are definately trending down, so too is Mich St. Same for Purdue.
We say that every year but still lose to those teams. I’m still optimistic but it’s getting harder every season. Northwestern loses their best players and just reloads. Same seems to go for all teams not named Nebraska!

We say that every year but still lose to those teams. I’m still optimistic but it’s getting harder every season. Northwestern loses their best players and just reloads. Same seems to go for all teams not named Nebraska!
But last year, our D line was the 'o noes,world is ending,replace 3 nflers'.
This year, NW has things they cant replace, and more of it than usual.

We seemed to replace those three, so again, it only happens to other teams for the good, but not here just isnt true, just like I pointed out

GET TICKETS

Back