• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Way too early 2021 predictions

How many games does Nebraska win in 2021?

• Fewer than 4

Votes: 21 16.4%

Votes: 29 22.7%

Votes: 20 15.6%

Votes: 25 19.5%

Votes: 22 17.2%

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • 10+

Votes: 5 3.9%

• Total voters
I voted 5 games. But to be honest, the real answer I'd give is "who knows?"

2020 was an awful, weird, strange and stupid year all around. But I really don't think the pandemic can be blamed for the Huskers chaotic on the field performance this year. Beat PSU and then completely fail to show up mentally against Illinois? Beat Purdue on the road and then have a team that hadn't practice in weeks and was without 33 players run over you on Senior Day at Memorial Stadium? Manage to gain 400 yards and still be tied against Rutgers?

We also don't necessarily know what the 2021 season's going to look like yet. Who knows whether that game in Dublin happens as scheduled. Illinois just hired Bielema, so schematically they'll probably look different than they did this year regardless of when/where that game is played.

Illinois and Auburn both decided not to hire Buffalo HC Lance Leipold, but I'd still be rather surprised if he's still their HC when they come to Lincoln. Auburn's hire of Bryan Harsin creates a vacancy at Boise State. Wouldn't be shocked to see BSU hire Leipold. There's almost no way Buffalo RB Jaret Patterson is still there next season. Many NFL scouts thought he was a prospect even before this season, he just wasn't eligible for the draft last year. If he declares for the 2021 draft, CBS Sports ranks him as the #2 RB behind Clemson's Travis Etienne.

That Oklahoma game in Norman is probably going to be ugly. Rattler looks like he may be the next great OU QB; RB TJ Pledger probably returns next year, and their #3 back Seth McGowan rushed for nearly 300 yards (5.2 ypc) and 3 TDs as a freshman. Rattler's top three passing targets were freshmen and sophomores, and the #4 receiver WR Charleston Rambo was a junior. [EDIT--Pledger entered the transfer portal back on December 21.]

MSU just got a senior transfer QB from Temple, and it's hard to see how they won't be better in year #2 for that coaching staff.

At minimum tOSU loses Fields, and likely will lose OT Wyatt Davis and DB Shaun Wade because they're both projected as 1st round picks alongside Fields. They could lose WR Chris Olave and C Johh Myers too. But, as usual, Ryan Day will probably replace them with players who are as physically gifted, just not as experienced. Heck, there were people who suggested Lawrence might return to Clemson rather than play for the Jets. Since they can't even get losing right and now have the #2 pick, I guess it's possible Fields could decide to return rather than play for them.

The "Fitzgerald to the Chicago Bears" rumors have picked up again since NW's AD is the new commissioner of the ACC and NW just had six players enter the transfer portal. The one thing NW has going for them is the Bears might actually sneak into the NFL playoffs. If they go from being a complete mess earlier in the season to the playoffs, they'll probably roll with their current HC Matt Nagy another year.

I think Harbaugh's staying in Ann Arbor. Their DC just got thrown over the side to appease the Maze & Blue masses. There's probably less than a 1% chance it happens, but since they're coming to Lincoln in 2021 I'd laugh my rear end off if Harbaugh hires Bo as his next DC. That would be kinda fun! :Biggrin:

As for Iowa, Kirk Ferentz isn't out of the woods yet. 13 former players filed a lawsuit against the university back on November 12th. The report Iowa released doesn't make Ferentz, his kid, or the S&T coach look good. In addition to the racial bias allegations, George Kittle alleged that Ferentz made comments to NFL scouts that were designed to hurt Kittle's draft stock. So far, they've lost 5 players to the transfer portal. (Not sure it'll make any difference to 2021, but Ferentz just tested positive for COVID-19 and they may miss their bowl game on December 30th.)

Wisconsin is a machine. QB Graham Mertz and their #1 RB Jalen Berger were only freshmen, and their #3 RB Nakia Watson was a sophomore. He's not currently a guy who's expected to go in the first couple rounds of the NFL draft, so TE Jake Ferguson will probably come back and try to improve his draft stock, and their #3 receiver WR Chimere Dike was a freshman. The defense finished #1 in FBS in total defense, #16 in passing efficiency defense and #6 in rushing defense. I hate to say it, but right now I see Nebraska getting rolled on 11/20.

Unfortunately for the Huskers, Minnesota RB Mohamed Ibrahim likely returns in 2021. WR Rashod Bateman will be gone, but WRs Chris Autman-Bell and freshman Daniel Jackson will return. Junior LB Mariano Sori-Martin had a career day against the Huskers (18 tackles including 6 solo) this year. Frost and Lubick might want to devise a way to actually block him in 2021. On the road, I don't see Nebraska winning this one.

Probable W's against Illinois, Buffalo and MSU. The other two probably come from NW/Purdue/Michigan or Iowa.

Last edited:

I just hope am turns it around and becomes what frost and some posters think he is. We should hit six wins even if he doesn’t but would be nice to actually have a qb that isn’t turning the ball over two to three times a game.

I pick 2 wins next year. A lot of folks on here use the term "teams we're supposed to beat" so, I think we should beat the teams we're supposed to beat. That would be Buffalo & SE. Louisiana.

If we were the HUSKERS of the 70's, 80's, 90's or even the early 2000's I'd see more teams we're supposed to beat but, since we're the HUSKERS of the 20teens I feel most teams are supposed to beat us. :(

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts on what NU looks like next year. For reference, the schedule is below.

In a vacuum, I like that we get Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin all in Lincoln. For road games, Michigan State has been having some tough luck lately and we also get to travel to Purdue. Minnesota in Minneapolis could be a deathtrap, but I also like that we start the season in Ireland (maybe? Covid?) against Illinois. Should be a good start against a team breaking in a new coach.

I'm excited about the trip to Norman, of course, but I also suspect we'll get Boomer'd by 40 points.

Illinois (Dublin, Ireland)
Buffalo

@Oklahoma
@Michigan State

Ohio State
Northwestern

@Purdue
Michigan
Iowa
Southeastern Louisiana

Wisconsin
@Minnesota

My gut says we beat Illinois, Buffalo, MSU, Purdue, and SE Louisiana (5 wins)
We lose to Oklahoma, Ohio State and Michigan (3 losses)
Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Northwestern are all toss ups, so I'll say we split the difference at 2-2.

That's 7-5, but knowing Frost's style of coaching, we'll piss away at least one game we should win, so we're hovering at 6-6 and bowl eligibility.

Iowa to me is not a toss up, it's a L. I know the last 3 times we've played they have been close, as they should be, but better-coached teams win close games. Unfortunately, they are better-coached. MN is a win in my column. Yes it was arguably our worst loss considering the circumstances of their team at the time, but I just don't see them having the weapons needed on offense to compete with us next year.

Iowa to me is not a toss up, it's a L. I know the last 3 times we've played they have been close, as they should be, but better-coached teams win close games. Unfortunately, they are better-coached. MN is a win in my column. Yes it was arguably our worst loss considering the circumstances of their team at the time, but I just don't see them having the weapons needed on offense to compete with us next year.

But Fleck outcoaches Frost likely even more so than Ferentz.

FWIW, the Gophers are set to return all of their top offensive weapons from their game against Nebraska this season. Tanner Morgan at QB, Chris Autman-Bell at WR, and First Team All Big-10 RB, Mohamed Ibrahim, who had over 100 yards rushing in every game this season ... 1,076 rushing and 15 TDs in only seven games -- all three were juniors this season (assuming none go pro). The second-leading rusher against Nebraska was a RS freshman. The #2 WR was a true freshman. I guess I'm not sold that their offense will suddenly not be enough against Nebraska.

Their defense lost 9 starters coming into this season, so not surprisingly they were quite weak. However, in 2021, they are set for the opposite -- with 9 starters set to return (assuming their 3 seniors don't return -- though 2 are d-backs, so it would be a golden opportunity for Avante Dickerson, if he chooses to sign with the Gophers).

Minnesota will be quite a bit more experienced next season. To add, Minnesota (even without Dickerson) has signed their top recruiting class in a least a decade.

.500 is the absolute minimum, even though it still blows. I don't care who the opponents are. Given the schedule, 7 wins should be absolutely doable, 8 or 9 not out of the question.
everyone has been saying that for the past 4 years... never happened....

Less than 4. As someone already stated, past performance is the best predictor. I think the sample size is large enough now.

But Fleck outcoaches Frost likely even more so than Ferentz.

FWIW, the Gophers are set to return all of their top offensive weapons from their game against Nebraska this season. Tanner Morgan at QB, Chris Autman-Bell at WR, and First Team All Big-10 RB, Mohamed Ibrahim, who had over 100 yards rushing in every game this season ... 1,076 rushing and 15 TDs in only seven games -- all three were juniors this season (assuming none go pro). The second-leading rusher against Nebraska was a RS freshman. The #2 WR was a true freshman. I guess I'm not sold that their offense will suddenly not be enough against Nebraska.

Their defense lost 9 starters coming into this season, so not surprisingly they were quite weak. However, in 2021, they are set for the opposite -- with 9 starters set to return (assuming their 3 seniors don't return -- though 2 are d-backs, so it would be a golden opportunity for Avante Dickerson, if he chooses to sign with the Gophers).

Minnesota will be quite a bit more experienced next season. To add, Minnesota (even without Dickerson) has signed their top recruiting class in a least a decade.

That certainly changes things. I obviously didn't do my research, thought Autman-Bell and Ibrahim were gone. Seems like Ibrahim has been there forever.

That certainly changes things. I obviously didn't do my research, thought Autman-Bell and Ibrahim were gone. Seems like Ibrahim has been there forever.

Yeah, it does seem like Ibrahim has been there forever. He's been their starting RB for three years, so no wonder it seems like forever. The question will be if he chooses to pursue the NFL now or wait another season. He'd likely be drafted if he were to declare now, but he may improve his stock if he returns. Then again, when named the Big Ten RB of the year, his stock may be enough now to entice him to leave Minnesota.

I said 7. If there is a season. And I will be even more bold. Offense has a good season. Defense continues their trajectory. If Culp, Mills, JoJo (doubtful), Stille, CTB, one of our starting corners comes back AND Manning and Betts give Wan'Dale some help? If Luke bulks up and moves out to the WR or even part time RB? If AM protects the ball? If we can keep people like Reimer, Ty, Daniels healthy? If we can get Tannor or Wright to contribute? If more than half those ifs becomes yeses? Nine wins. And drum roll please...SF gets his program changing win.

GBR!

Yeah, it does seem like Ibrahim has been there forever. He's been their starting RB for three years, so no wonder it seems like forever. The question will be if he chooses to pursue the NFL now or wait another season. He'd likely be drafted if he were to declare now, but he may improve his stock if he returns. Then again, when named the Big Ten RB of the year, his stock may be enough now to entice him to leave Minnesota.
RBs are on a lieftime carry count.
He'slikely top five for draft in RBs, if not top three.
Likely gone.
Remove him, the minny O is not going to be the same, look at wiscys O with Taylor gone.

Likely gone.
Remove him, the minny O is not going to be the same, look at wiscys O with Taylor gone.
Agree, I don’t think we see Ibriham back next year.

RB are a dime a dozen in the NFL go get your money.

Likely gone.

I'm not sure what to think of Wisconsin's offense, as I think Covid got too much in the way for that team to develop this season -- especially with both a new starting QB and RB. I tend to think both Mertz and Berger will be more than capable going forward.

I do agree that Minnesota's offense will be better with Ibrahim than without.

I ask this, what did our offense look like when we couldnt pound the rock?
Nothing to go back to?

When Mills got hurt, did his injury cause as much or more problems than AMs play?
Because, though AM fumbled, he also carried the rock well, but again, without a solid RB beside him, it was too often, and even the fall back of run game was even more limited.

Now, did minny suffer through this? Or, wiscy?

We have heard that x amount of players were no goes because of covid for our team.
Only one we know of, the rest?

Counting one sides problems and not extending the others, what is that Pride?
Like we should be able to anyways?

This was a very messed up year, ask psu or mich or mich st and theres others, all over the map.

I know that NW loses their three LBs and their master of his craft DC, thats going to hurt.
I know that purdues loses alot as well, ilini starts allover again.

Minnys offense runs so much better with Ibrahim , itll be worse than us losing AA.

Next year is actually setting up for us fairly well, we need current leaders to continue to lead, others to stepup, and then we can take advantage if weve learned from our past.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back