• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Washington AD Troy Dannen new Huskers AD

What is the scoop on new President Jeffrey Gold? Is he a sports fan?

He's an academic.

On the 'sports fan' front, I don't necessarily think we need that in the position of President, but he/she does need to understand the importance of athletics to the University, it's donors, alumni and fan base. As long as his handling of athletic related issues is not driven by 'Well the academic side of the equation doesn't get that', we'll be OK.

Obviously a very smart man.

Dr. Gold is more than just an academic. This article was linked in another yesterday. I was impressed by his story of volunteering to care for patients on 9/11 and in the days afterward.

To be clear, I don’t mean that as an insult in the case of Gold.

Glad this is behind us and moving forward! Maybe all the attention on the fact we haven't chosen a president forced their hand some!

With Gold moving from UNMC chancellor to president, I wonder if that opens up the possibility of UNMC joining the university and bringing us in-line with AAU standards. Not sure if we'd want to try to rejoin, given their previous snobbery.
As it has been explained to me, the AAU issue and UNMC joining the UNL campus to secure reapplication to AAU, and the stadium project - all inner twine and play a role in the BOR dust-up and TA's decision to depart...

Last edited:
When did that ever happen? Remember Steve Pederson? He wanted to change the huskers for the sake of change just so he could say all of the expected success was because of him. Even changed the uniforms. What a disaster his tenure was. I know nothing about this new guy but knowing UW (I lived out there for many years) expect DEI to be part of the plan. Otherwise, I'm withholding comment until I see how this goes.
Pretty sure the uniform change happened in 2002, the year before Pederson. If memory serves he changed them back

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back