• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Costa RIca (2013 Gold Cup) Game Thread

Johnson had a real shaky year the past year so this was very nice to see him do so well....he has a lot of promise....

Have to disagree with you on Torres....the first half he played was perhaps the best he has ever played for the USMNT....faded a bit in the second half I think from the heat...he got a lot of nice comments from the 'experts' when they graded the players after the game....

She has played little since last November...due to injury and frankly not being able to break into the Stoke lineup.....so yeah I agree not in full match fitness...

Good points though...:) You need to drop in more my friend...:)

A little late to the party here, but would like to add my synopsis of the match last night:

I was pretty concerned thru the first 15 minutes, as the US couldn't find any rhythm in the midfield... Part of this was due to CR, but I think Bedoya, Holden and Parkhurst played pretty poorly and made some of the midfield troubles self-inflicted...

Thought Donovan picked it up towards the end of the first half... made good decisions (besides the one drop pass he inexplictely gave away), and played a good set piece from the corner that should have been converted by Bedoya

Second half was much more fluid for the US, we were just waiting for the breakthrough... Contrary to most opinions, I was not impressed with Torres that much, and was happy to see him go off (albeit, I didn't have much confidence in Shea after his last couple matches... He really looked out of shape to me for some reason)...

The ball by Donovan to Shea on the goal was an unbelievable one and is indicative to why Donovan is so important to us... And to be honest, Shea's shot wasn't anything special and probably should have been saved... but his first touch on the ball was a hell of a touch.

Bottom line, a win is a win against a good side like CR... It's nice to see some guys on our second team fight for a spot on the WC roster... One last comment, Johnson played a hell of a game in goal... Young keeper or not. I think he made some saves (the one just prior to our goal especially) that Rimando could not have made.

A little late to the party here, but would like to add my synopsis of the match last night:

I was pretty concerned thru the first 15 minutes, as the US couldn't find any rhythm in the midfield... Part of this was due to CR, but I think Bedoya, Holden and Parkhurst played pretty poorly and made some of the midfield troubles self-inflicted...

Thought Donovan picked it up towards the end of the first half... made good decisions (besides the one drop pass he inexplictely gave away), and played a good set piece from the corner that should have been converted by Bedoya

Second half was much more fluid for the US, we were just waiting for the breakthrough... Contrary to most opinions, I was not impressed with Torres that much, and was happy to see him go off (albeit, I didn't have much confidence in Shea after his last couple matches... He really looked out of shape to me for some reason)...

The ball by Donovan to Shea on the goal was an unbelievable one and is indicative to why Donovan is so important to us... And to be honest, Shea's shot wasn't anything special and probably should have been saved... but his first touch on the ball was a hell of a touch.

Bottom line, a win is a win against a good side like CR... It's nice to see some guys on our second team fight for a spot on the WC roster... One last comment, Johnson played a hell of a game in goal... Young keeper or not. I think he made some saves (the one just prior to our goal especially) that Rimando could not have made.

Very solid take. To add on to what was said about Shea, the first touch was perfect, the shot did it's job, but the run also was key. He got into the exact position he needed to be. Box to box. Landon's pass? Amazing.

For those who may have forgotten r did not see Johnson had a nightmare time in the USA's failure to qualify for the 2012 Olympics and struggled with the Fire afterword's...so a really nice bounce back in this game....

Johnson had a real shaky year the past year so this was very nice to see him do so well....he has a lot of promise....

Have to disagree with you on Torres....the first half he played was perhaps the best he has ever played for the USMNT....faded a bit in the second half I think from the heat...he got a lot of nice comments from the 'experts' when they graded the players after the game....

She has played little since last November...due to injury and frankly not being able to break into the Stoke lineup.....so yeah I agree not in full match fitness...

Good points though...:) You need to drop in more my friend...:)

Looks like that rest for Riamdo, Becks and Corona...worked out just fine....dontcha think?....;)

And some talk old Becks might just sneak into the Brazil 23....:cool:

So after the Beckerman lovefest the last couple days, anyone want to take bets on the level of meltdown when he doesn't start today? :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back