• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Costa RIca (2013 Gold Cup) Game Thread

So after the Beckerman lovefest the last couple days, anyone want to take bets on the level of meltdown when he doesn't start today? :)

Interesting lineup....Gooch is hurt....Fiscal playing....Becks getting a rest...Disk playing.....no Rimando he is being rested.....Johnson young Chicago Fire goalie playing....Bedoya over Corona...who is being rested too...

I sure hope he knows what he is doing...and a loss to CR could hurt the seeding for the World Cup....and that's a fact...:nod:

U.S. Soccer ‏<S>@</S>ussoccer <S>#</S>USMNT starters: Johnson; Parkhurst, Goodson, Orozco Fiscal, Beasley ©; Holden, Diskerud; Bedoya, Donovan, Torres; Wondolowski <S>#</S>USAvCRC

Grant Wahl ‏<S>@</S>GrantWahl Klinsmann said he'd play his best possible lineup. Doubt that's totally the case with Johnson over Rimando, Bedoya over Corona.

Doug McIntyre ‏<S>@</S>DougMacESPN Jurgen Klinsmann said he'd start his best lineup against Costa Rica. Looks like the coach was bluffing. <S>#</S>usmnt <S>#</S>USAvCRC

Doug McIntyre ‏<S>@</S>DougMacESPN Onyewu not 100% healthy -- didn't train yesterday. Other players banged-up too. We'll know more postgame. <S>#</S>usmnt <S>#</S>USAvCRC

Doug McIntyre ‏<S>@</S>DougMacESPN Worth nothing that Gooch, others are still available subs. Rimando is healthy. Apparently being rested. <S>#</S>usmnt <S>#</S>USAvCRC

Steven Goff ‏<S>@</S>SoccerInsider USA already secured passage: Klinsmann saving some players for Sunday's quarterfinal in Baltimore. <S>#</S>usmnt

Last edited:
No meltdown at all....he is resting guys....why in a game of this importance I have no clue??...maybe you can tell us why? Funny guy...:) :)

Quite an overturn in the lineup....hope he knows what he is doing....because I suspect there will be some meltdown if we lose this one by the Klinsy crowd....ha ha....:) :) Hope you have your fingers and toes crossed....:)

Far from our best lineup....but in Klinsy we trust right??....right??

Nice try though.....:)

So after the Beckerman lovefest the last couple days, anyone want to take bets on the level of meltdown when he doesn't start today? :)

Last edited:

Over/under on how many posts in the game thread are about how "bad" the players who are playing in front of Beckerman are performing?

See you guys at halftime....going to watch the game....make sure you have your fingers and toes crossed....you might need 'em tonight...:)

Go USA....:)

Any thoughts on a free stream?

Can't get the kids to go to the sports bar/grill.

Here is CR's lineup:

Soccer By Ives:
Here is how the Costa Rica lineup should look like on the field, a 5-4-1 of sorts:

--------------------------Alvaro Saborio------------------------

Kenny Cunningham---------------------------Jairo Arrieta

-------Rodney Wallace----------Celso Borges-------------

Junior Diaz-----------------------------------Carlos Johnson

-----Roy Miller------G.Gonzalez-----Michael Umana----

Looks like he is resting a lot of guys tonight for the Qtr Final Match....he is the coach......only Donovan has played every minute of every game....hope it works....:)

I got my fingers crossed...:) :)

Later....see you at halftime...:)

Soccer By Ives:
The USA lineup has plenty of changes, and it's clear Klinsmann didn't want anyone carrying a ton of minutes. Landon Donovan is the only player on a serious load of minutes.

Last edited:
Here is CR's lineup:
No Saborio for CR tonight. That's a positive for our team tonight. Here's hoping for a victory. I really liked how Mix and Stu played together in the second half of the Belize game. Obviously CR is a much better team, but I'm sure they will rise to the occasion.

Update....Sabo with a knock....big break for the USA.....

Soccer By Ives:
Here is how the Costa Rica lineup should look like on the field, a 5-3-2 of sorts (No, Alvaro Saborio is NOT starting):

Kenny Cunningham---------------------------Jairo Arrieta

-------Rodney Wallace----------Celso Borges-------------

-------------------------Yeltsin Tejeda--------------------------

Junior Diaz-----------------------------------Carlos Johnson

-----Roy Miller------G.Gonzalez-----Michael Umana----

--------------------Patrick Pemberton---------------

Soccer By Ives:
Costa Rica has also shaken up its lineup, w/ no Alvaro Saborio (who is carrying a knock) or Michael Barrantes. Ticos definitely focused on D

Hmmm, funny because this is direct from the coaches mouth:

ussoccer.com: Both the U.S. and Costa Rica have advanced to the quarterfinal. Does that change how you will approach this game?

JK: “We are purely focused on this game. We don’t want to interrupt the rhythm that we have going now. There is enough time between this game and the quarterfinal to get everybody back and regenerated to perfect fitness. This game is like the final for Group C. This is a team that we’re going to fight for World Cup qualifying points in September, and we want to send them a signal. We take this very seriously and everybody is ready for this battle. We kind of saved a couple legs in the game against Cuba with some changes that we made there. We won’t save anybody for the game against Costa Rica.

Guess its whatever you want to believe then....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back