• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tuioti headed to Oregon?

Definitely not ideal.

Could also open the possibility of Dawson going back to D-Line. Ruud taking OLBs and ILBs. Busch to ST. New hire at RB.

Ruud has already said ILB and OLB are totally different positions with different techniques. I guess we could combine OL and secondary coaches too while we are at it?

At a certain point you need to ask yourself if you only have two ILB that can be on the field at once whether or not you are really teaching enough. I am assuming he would only have 2 1st string players. The OLB would have 2? Am I wrong? Coach Fisher deserves another pay raise if that is the case. However, that means the teacher to student ration on O is even crazier. 1 coach for one QB on the field at a time. RB coach, do they even put two on the field at a time? WR we will have 4 at a time. How specialized can you get before you become a problem?

Ruud has already said ILB and OLB are totally different positions with different techniques. I guess we could combine OL and secondary coaches too while we are at it?
Fair point. But the same could be said about the positions that are grouped together under the existing coaches (e.g. tackle vs. guard; safety vs. corner)

At a certain point you need to ask yourself if you only have two ILB that can be on the field at once whether or not you are really teaching enough. I am assuming he would only have 2 1st string players. The OLB would have 2? Am I wrong? Coach Fisher deserves another pay raise if that is the case. However, that means the teacher to student ration on O is even crazier. 1 coach for one QB on the field at a time. RB coach, do they even put two on the field at a time? WR we will have 4 at a time. How specialized can you get before you become a problem?

I have no idea what you're saying here.

Opponent offensive points per game (removing scores by the opposing special teams and defense) was 20.3 PPG, which ranked us tied for 22nd nationally (0.1 PPG from the top 20).

Our defense gave up many more yards than points to show for it -- which is exactly what it's designed to do.

Any defense will suffer when that team's offense frequently shoots itself in the foot and the special teams is one of the 2 or 3 worst in the entire nation. I personally feel it's more than adequate if the rest of the team holds on to their end of the bargain. However, if you are expecting a dominating, shutdown defense to carry the team, then you'll be disappointed.
I think it’s a little misleading to say our defense is designed to be a bend dont break. Nobody designs a defense to not get the off the field as early as possible. I’ll bring up a couple of other little tidbits.

Turnovers gained and lost. Nebraska was tied at 75th for turnovers lost. We were tied for 98th in turnovers gained.

You quoted the scoring and reranked us after pulling out special teams and defensive scores against us. Did you do that for all teams to come up with the re-ranking?

And last but not least field goals. As putrid as our field goals were missing 8 of them…..our opponents missed 9 of them on the year which helped our scoring average fairly immensely.

The bottom line is neither unit seems to be helping the other one that much.

Last edited:
I guess I don't know if I can say defense was solid. Allen from Wisconsin got over 200 yards on ground and Goodson from Iowa got chunk yardage on us also. What saved us is our division didn't have elite quarterbacks or it would have been worse. The defense was improved yes but not good enough to compete in our division.
Had our offense had a pulse we would have had a winning season.

Had our offense had a pulse we would have had a winning season.

And if our "special" teams could have just been "adequate" teams.

And if our playcallers could just run the ball inside the five yard line in a traditional formation instead of being in the shotgun or run a quarterback sneak occasionally.

yellow-emoticons-and-emojis-vector-id1180455699

There is already enough to deal with right now in this program, why on earth would you add to it?
i see what your saying but part of his "baggage" is great recruiting and a nc. winning seems to cure allot of what we are dealing with now with this bad program

There was such a broad array of what if’s and terrible components of this team that quite frankly we are lucky the offense and defense played as well as they did to even have us close. That’s what is concerning is the vast number of things that are under performing. And don’t get me wrong…..we were close to winning so many games. But many games shouldn’t even be one score wins. Illinois game should have been done at half time.

I thought Riley retired before he came to NU :thumbsup: Pension upgrade courtesy of Shaun Eichorst.
You’re saying Riley won more games in the same time period while retired than Frost has working overtime.
Damn it’s worse than I thought

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back