• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tuioti headed to Oregon?

That’s fair. Part of it is seeing other teams with lesser talent have much better defenses. Baylor, Utah, Iowa, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, to name a few. I hope you’re right. If the defense sucks in 2022, everyone is getting canned.

Our defense was -- by far -- the best aspect of Nebraska football. Understanding how much both the offense and special teams hampered the defense.

106th in time of possession meant our defense was on the field a ton. And it's not like our offense was scoring points in bunches to give our defense many breaks. Throw in missed scoring opportunities, poor field position, turnovers, penalties. There aren't many defenses that could have overcome the slop from the rest of the team.

Chinander's defense has always been labeled bend-don't-break. And that's exactly what it did. Nebraska was 35th nationally in points per yard allowed. Meaning, we gave up many more yards than points to show for it. It did fade down the stretch, which wasn't surprising when all of that rotten time of possession over the season added up -- then take out a few key defensive players late in the season.

I feel quite certain if we had an above average offense and special teams that at least weren't putrid, our defense would look much more impressive.

Our defense was -- by far -- the best aspect of Nebraska football. Understanding how much both the offense and special teams hampered the defense.

106th in time of possession meant our defense was on the field a ton. And it's not like our offense was scoring points in bunches to give our defense many breaks. Throw in missed scoring opportunities, poor field position, turnovers, penalties. There aren't many defenses that could have overcome the slop from the rest of the team.

Chinander's defense has always been labeled bend-don't-break. And that's exactly what it did. Nebraska was 35th nationally in points per yard allowed. Meaning, we gave up many more yards than points to show for it. It did fade down the stretch, which wasn't surprising when all of that rotten time of possession over the season added up -- then take out a few key defensive players late in the season.

I feel quite certain if we had an above average offense and special teams that at least weren't putrid, our defense would look much more impressive.
Our time of possession woes were not done any favors by the offense but the defense in particular had a hard time getting off the field. You let a team march up and down the field between the 20s and that’s gonna mean a lot of time on the football field as well. Seems we did a pretty good job of that as well so I don’t buy that the offense caused all the time of possession issues. It sure seem to me like when we needed a big stop we seldom got it.

Our time of possession woes were not done any favors by the offense but the defense in particular had a hard time getting off the field. You let a team march up and down the field between the 20s and that’s gonna mean a lot of time on the football field as well. Seems we did a pretty good job of that as well so I don’t buy that the offense caused all the time of possession issues. It sure seem to me like when we needed a big stop we seldom got it.

Opponent offensive points per game (removing scores by the opposing special teams and defense) was 20.3 PPG, which ranked us tied for 22nd nationally (0.1 PPG from the top 20).

Our defense gave up many more yards than points to show for it -- which is exactly what it's designed to do.

Any defense will suffer when that team's offense frequently shoots itself in the foot and the special teams is one of the 2 or 3 worst in the entire nation. I personally feel it's more than adequate if the rest of the team holds on to their end of the bargain. However, if you are expecting a dominating, shutdown defense to carry the team, then you'll be disappointed.

I have to wonder if improvement we saw on defense was a result of having multiple players that have good chance to play in NFL next year. Even with our players healthy, even Purdue along with Illinois and Minnesota were successful against our defense. I think we benefitted from the seniors that stayed on defense. Without them next year, I have very bad feeling that Chinanders defense will be back to pedestrian! Sincerely hope I am wrong

We definitely benefited having the Super Seniors and Daniels playing this past fall. There is no question.

We frequently hear we're not developing anyone, but if that was the case why would it help to have the Super Seniors stay and hurt when they're gone?

We'll get to see if we can actually recruit and develop and what that looks like next fall. I completely agree we're likely to see a step....or two..backward, at least early in the season. Since all of these kids have lived in one system, I think we're in a better place than many believe we're in and the marked drop off will be short. By seasons end I think we're close to our best moments in '21. Injuries, etc. not withstanding.

Minnesota scored 21 of their 30 points in the first half of the game. We allowed Tanner Morgan to dink and dunk up and down the field and had an almost perfect first half. If the defense was tired it was because they couldn’t get off the field.

Nebraska had the ball for roughly 9 minutes in the first half. They did nothing to help the defense out, especially in the first half. The defense didn't have their best day by any means, but they got little help.

Maybe things weren't as I recall, but what I loved about 20th century Nebraska football was the stability/loyalty of the coaching staff; assistant coaches who were content to remain in Lincoln and not chase a dream somewhere else. They and the fans were rewarded with some amazing football over a 30-40 year period of time.

We definitely benefited having the Super Seniors and Daniels playing this past fall. There is no question.

We frequently hear we're not developing anyone, but if that was the case why would it help to have the Super Seniors stay and hurt when they're gone?

We'll get to see if we can actually recruit and develop and what that looks like next fall. I completely agree we're likely to see a step....or two..backward, at least early in the season. Since all of these kids have lived in one system, I think we're in a better place than many believe we're in and the marked drop off will be short. By seasons end I think we're close to our best moments in '21. Injuries, etc. not withstanding.
I hope you are right.

Nebraska had the ball for roughly 9 minutes in the first half. They did nothing to help the defense out, especially in the first half. The defense didn't have their best day by any means, but they got little help.
The defense couldn't get the stops to get off the field. Morgan had a field day in first half but I agree the offense laid an egg also. I can't remember the last time Nebraska played a clean game. Northwestern maybe?

The defense couldn't get the stops to get off the field. Morgan had a field day in first half but I agree the offense laid an egg also. I can't remember the last time Nebraska played a clean game. Northwestern maybe?

Well that game especially was terrible because Nebraska started off with a 3 and out. You just saw it coming after that.

I think the 'development' argument does have some merit to his earlier defenses as it seemed we didn't develop kids into difference makers. We've seen players get better now and that's really what the schools you mentioned do really well. Take three stars and make them into very good college level players. We have a good, young group of players coming back who've gotten some playing time and time to learn. We should get to see what this staff's development looks like this fall.

On the '22 defense being incredibly important, we're in 100% agreement. Unfortunately there will likely be a drop-off early, which will likely coincide with a slow start by a 'New-ish' offense. If both of those things happen, it could be disastrous and everyone will be looking next Christmas. It's part of why I was so shocked when we did what we did with the offensive staff. A slow start next year is one thing. A slow start that results in early losses to Northwestern, Rutgers or Indiana? Man. That's not going to work. I look at this schedule and think there is some opportunity to make hay before the trip to Ann Arbor. We have five games we'll likely be favored in and OU at home, then a week off to prep for Hairball. I don't know what we're going to see on the offensive side of the ball next year, but they better figure it out by October 15th or all hell will break loose.
Solid post captain!

I guess it depends on what the definition of gashed is. In all of those games, the opposing team got a defensive or ST score. I'd say the closest to a gashing was the Minnesota game, where the offense couldn't stay on the field at all so the defense just wore out.
I don't think anybody is saying the defense last year was elite, but it was very solid.
Of course the defense will wear out. They weren’t getting off the field, instead, letting them march play after play after play. You know, 3 and outs get you some rest, even when the offense doesn’t show up. Have to buck up.

It’s possible. Of course. However, sometimes when you are in a bad spot from the offense, 3 and outs do wonders. You start allowing 8-10 play drives, even if you only allow a FG, or a punt, or a turnover on downs, and the defense is toast by crunch time. You have to get off the field. The defense was better, not arguing that.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back