• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trying to get a read on the "blame"

I get that, but aside from about 1 half of football all year, how well have we really executed?
You’re already down at home, against one of the best offenses in the country. Run some plays, run some more clock, keep that O off the field, slow the game a bit.

I mentioned this in another thread. This staff in a somewhat cocky nature, pressed the idea that the previous staff was so incompetent that they've re brought the right culture and transformed player bodies and yet here we are.
Buck stops with them, nomore past staffs reasons. As mentioned, there's no reason for us to be this bad. Period.

It was a great call but a bad pass. Nothing more to it than that. Had an option play been called we'll never know if it would have worked or not.
That doesn't help me but point taken. I guess what i'm getting at (that I spoke to in an earlier post), i've seen a lot of great calls or schemes offensively that we aren't executing on. So while I only highlighted this one play, it's happening a dozen times a game. Remember Frost screaming at Martinez to "run the _____ ball" against Illinois? That didn't happen because of one mistake. How many times have we watched a zone read and seen Martinez have a massive opening but he had handed the ball off?

Schematically, it was an absolutely great play call if you're playing with robots. I think Frost's faith in Martinez is too high and is the reason I think we should've kept running the ball until they stopped it.
That's probably fair. Maybe he needs to do a better job of "limiting damage" for Martinez with playcalls. Goes against the "no fear of failure" thing a bit but we are nearly 50% done with this season and it kind of is what it is.

What if they implement some of the old option with the new stuff? Seems like it had them on their heels, just a bad set of circumstance. Hell on earth is making someone prepare for option and fast spread. If you can even make that happen.

I'm sure people will have different tweaks, and the easy answer is obviously "a little of both", but i'm really trying to wrap my head around how Army can take Michigan to OT, North Carolina can fire their coach and then have their new coach take Clemson to the wire. Yet everytime we play someone remotely good, we get absolutely dusted.

This summarizes me for the past few years. Different players and multiple coaching staffs, but this has stayed exactly the same.

With the ranking does that take into consideration all the attrition we have had? We lost most of Riley guys. Frost hired so late that his first class was a crap shoot. I think he has only really had one class to work with.

I get that, but aside from about 1 half of football all year, how well have we really executed?
You’re already down at home, against one of the best offenses in the country. Run some plays, run some more clock, keep that O off the field, slow the game a bit.
Agree thre, I think at one point I looked up and they had 25 minutes TOP to our 11. Our defense doesn't stand a chance if we do that.

I'd agree there. They had some plays that they were just holding for certain situations. For example, that one time we got them in a 3rd and 10 early and they just ran a QB sweep to the west stadium and got the easiest first down ever.
I remember that fiasco... Our defenders were making false reads the entire night. Too amped up and forgot to play football

I mentioned this in another thread. This staff in a somewhat cocky nature, pressed the idea that the previous staff was so incompetent that they've re brought the right culture and transformed player bodies and yet here we are.
Buck stops with them, nomore past staffs reasons. As mentioned, there's no reason for us to be this bad. Period.
I've been saying to one of my friends for a while that at some point this is on them. They need more time, it's not time to panic, but we need to get better.

Bingo.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back