• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trying to get a read on the "blame"

I apologize about using that word, as the true answer is there's a combination of things that went wrong and it's not any one person or groups fault. What i'm curious tho, is where most people stand on something that started a pretty heated debate after the game up in the press boxes with myself and others. Here's the scenario (that you all know)....

It's nearing the end of the first quarter, Ohio State has just punched in their second touchdown. Frost comes out and runs the triple option out of the I formation from our own 25 yard line and in 7 plays we go 49 yards. Ohio State call a timeout to get right against the triple option they probably didn't practice much against. Frost comes out in this play:

The argument started on if it was a bad call, if it was a great call, etc. We basically came up with 2 answers and i'm curious where people stand on this.

1) Keep running what got us all the way down there, even though they just called a timeout to get right against what you were doing. Make them stop it before you abandon it.

2) If Martinez actually throws a good pass, Wandale probably walks into the endzone. As it turns out, it's slightly overthrown and Ohio State's defender gets an interception while laying on his back. Not the wrong play, the players need to execute.

I'm sure people will have different tweaks, and the easy answer is obviously "a little of both", but i'm really trying to wrap my head around how Army can take Michigan to OT, North Carolina can fire their coach and then have their new coach take Clemson to the wire. Yet everytime we play someone remotely good, we get absolutely dusted.

You run the saw damn thing over and over until they prove they can stop it. Not even sure why it’s an argument?

I apologize about using that word, as the true answer is there's a combination of things that went wrong and it's not any one person or groups fault. What i'm curious tho, is where most people stand on something that started a pretty heated debate after the game up in the press boxes with myself and others. Here's the scenario (that you all know)....

It's nearing the end of the first quarter, Ohio State has just punched in their second touchdown. Frost comes out and runs the triple option out of the I formation from our own 25 yard line and in 7 plays we go 49 yards. Ohio State call a timeout to get right against the triple option they probably didn't practice much against. Frost comes out in this play:

The argument started on if it was a bad call, if it was a great call, etc. We basically came up with 2 answers and i'm curious where people stand on this.

1) Keep running what got us all the way down there, even though they just called a timeout to get right against what you were doing. Make them stop it before you abandon it.

2) If Martinez actually throws a good pass, Wandale probably walks into the endzone. As it turns out, it's slightly overthrown and Ohio State's defender gets an interception while laying on his back. Not the wrong play, the players need to execute.

I'm sure people will have different tweaks, and the easy answer is obviously "a little of both", but i'm really trying to wrap my head around how Army can take Michigan to OT, North Carolina can fire their coach and then have their new coach take Clemson to the wire. Yet everytime we play someone remotely good, we get absolutely dusted.

It is our penance.

Talent and dumb turnovers aside.... I thought we got severely out-schemed on defense. Our defense made a ton of mistakes that had nothing to do with talent.

Because no one is even having that thought if that ball is caught and Wandale is walking into the endzone untouched. That play was set up perfectly. Gotta execute.
This is kind of where I’m going FYI... I actually like a lot of what we are doing, but our players are not executing at all. That includes our preseason Heisman candidate. But I also understand making them stop something before you go another route.

To go further... per 247s composite team talent ranking here it is:

2 - Ohio State
9 - Clemson
11 - Michigan
24 - Nebraska
28 - North Carolina
128 - Army

Michigan v Army 24-21 in OT
North Carolina v Clemson 20-21
Ohio State v Nebraska 48-7

I just don’t get it.

It’s what has continued to drive me mad for years. We say our line is young and it is, and we need to restock the cupboards, which we do, that it takes time - so be patient, etc. etc..

But when I see exacrly what you stated above with teams going in and playing lights out with far less talent and far less resources etc. I just don’t understand it.

Our psyche still has to be somewhat fragile.

And on that play when AM threw high, I thought it still should have caught and whadayaknow the defender laying on his back has it fall right into his freaking hands, I knew right then that ball game was over.

Schematically, it was an absolutely great play call if you're playing with robots. I think Frost's faith in Martinez is too high and is the reason I think we should've kept running the ball until they stopped it.

So many things going through my mind on that drive.

It looked so easy, but was it just the lack of familiarity OSU had with the formations or was it my reptilian brain reverting to what’s worked in the past?

I’d have come out in the same set, maybe run a play action off of it and see what happens.
I don't think Ohio State practiced against that at all. I probably would have kept running it. But at the same time how can I be mad at Frost that a wide open WR didn't get the ball thrown accurately to him? I just don't know what to think.

Talent and dumb turnovers aside.... I thought we got severely out-schemed on defense. Our defense made a ton of mistakes that had nothing to do with talent.
I'd agree there. They had some plays that they were just holding for certain situations. For example, that one time we got them in a 3rd and 10 early and they just ran a QB sweep to the west stadium and got the easiest first down ever.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back