• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trivia Question

For anyone who might still be wondering

Team rushing titles:
Nebraska = 15
Oklahoma = 11
Army = 10
Navy = 7
Georgia Tech = 3
{No other school has ever won more than 2}

The 24 national championship teams that Nebraska has played:
Minnesota = 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
Pittsburgh = 1937
Notre Dame = 1947
Oklahoma = 1950, 1955, 1956, 1974, 1975, 1985, 2000
Alabama = 1965, 1978
Clemson = 1981
Penn St = 1982
Miami = 1983, 1991, 2001
Colorado = 1990
Georgia Tech = 1990
Washington = 1991
Florida St = 1993

Got another one:

Who can the name the 5 major college football coaches to own a higher career winning percentage than Tom Osborne's .837?

{NCAA mandates 10 yrs of head coaching experience to qualify}

Got another one:

Who can the name the 5 major college football coaches to own a higher career winning percentage than Tom Osborne's .837?

{NCAA mandates 10 yrs of head coaching experience to qualify}
Frank Leahy, Knute Rockne, Urban Meyer, and 2 other guys I can't remember.

The obscure one is probably the coach from either the University of Chicago or Yale back when they were dominant,... or it could be Dana X. Bible or the Michigan dude from the 40s. Maybe the Bernie fella from Minnesota in the 30s?

Obvious? Hmm, Pop Warner wasn't that high, I don't think. Barry Switzer was in that stratosphere until his last season. Paterno, Bo, Holtz, and Woody weren't that high. Bowden was close to that mark for awhile. I didn't think Bear, Nehlen, Royal, McKay, or Robinson were that high. Lincoln Riley hasn't been a coach long enough. Is Dabo that high?

The obscure one is probably the coach from either the University of Chicago or Yale back when they were dominant,... or it could be Dana X. Bible or the Michigan dude from the 40s. Maybe the Bernie fella from Minnesota in the 30s?

Obvious? Hmm, Pop Warner wasn't that high, I don't think. Barry Switzer was in that stratosphere until his last season. Paterno, Bo, Holtz, and Woody weren't that high. Bowden was close to that mark for awhile. I didn't think Bear, Nehlen, Royal, McKay, or Robinson were that high. Lincoln Riley hasn't been a coach long enough. Is Dabo that high?
Actually, it IS Switzer!
Just a fraction of a percentage point better than Dr. Tom - .837 vs .836

Dabo is at .809 and ranks, right now, at 12th best ever - just ahead of Bob Devaney at .806
I imagine he'll be coaching for some years to come so we'll just have to wait and see where he ends up...
Same, too, with Lincoln Riley

Outside the top 25:
DX Bible, Bernie Bierman, Pop Warner, Paterno, Holtz, Woody, Bowden, Nehlen, Royal, McKay, and Robinson

Bear is at #20
Bo at #22

PS
If anyone gets the last one, I'll be impressed!

Hint:
This guy won .846% of his games - good for 4th best - and his coaching career took place primarily in the 1890s at the University of Pennsylvania

Last edited:
Actually, it IS Switzer!
Just a fraction of a percentage point better than Dr. Tom - .837 vs .836

Dabo is at .809 and ranks, right now, at 12th best ever - just ahead of Bob Devaney at .806
I imagine he'll be coaching for some years to come so we'll just have to wait and see where he ends up...
Same, too, with Lincoln Riley

Outside the top 25:
DX Bible, Bernie Bierman, Pop Warner, Paterno, Holtz, Woody, Bowden, Nehlen, Royal, McKay, and Robinson

Bear is at #20
Bo at #22

PS
If anyone gets the last one, I'll be impressed!

Hint:
This guy won .846% of his games - good for 4th best - and his coaching career took place primarily in the 1890s at the University of Pennsylvania

Ah, yes! The mighty era of the Fighting Quakers. I have no idea who he was, but I suspect that he also had a connection to Yale football.

Ah, yes! The mighty era of the Fighting Quakers. I have no idea who he was, but I suspect that he also had a connection to Yale football.
I had to look it up, but you're right - he DID have a Yale connection!
Played at Yale alongside Amos Alonzo Stagg

Other than Penn, coached one season at Illinois and one season at Carlisle

Yale was the birthplace of 20th century football as it spread to almost everywhere else from there from the 1880s through the first decade of the 1900s. Pop Warner was at Carlisle, but they had Yale connections, too. Ditto for Michigan and Chicago.

After about 1905, the Yale connection was mostly 2nd and 3rd generation coaches out of the schools that rose up.

For anyone who might still be wondering

Team rushing titles:
Nebraska = 15
Oklahoma = 11
Army = 10
Navy = 7
Georgia Tech = 3
{No other school has ever won more than 2}

The 24 national championship teams that Nebraska has played:
Minnesota = 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
Pittsburgh = 1937
Notre Dame = 1947
Oklahoma = 1950, 1955, 1956, 1974, 1975, 1985, 2000
Alabama = 1965, 1978
Clemson = 1981
Penn St = 1982
Miami = 1983, 1991, 2001
Colorado = 1990
Georgia Tech = 1990
Washington = 1991
Florida St = 1993
Arkansas* = 1964

I would insert emoji with tongue sticking out, but the emojis aren't an option for me.

Last edited:

I'll offer one up. Let's look at multi-talented Huskers...

Which Husker is the only one to be honored as first team all conference at multiple positions in the same year?

Which Husker is the only one to be honored as first team all American at multiple positions in his Nebraska career?

NOTE:. This is from Huskers.com award recipients.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back