• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trivia Question

Got another one:

Of the 96 legitimate, universally recognized national championship college football teams, so named by the AP, Coach's Poll, BCS, and/or CFP since 1936, how many and which have our Huskers squared off against?

I would guess we’ve played against all of them at one point. Unless you were talking about the specific championship game

We've played fewer than 40 national championship teams over the last 85 years...
Ok, so playing in their National Championship years, floor is probably 7 and maybe a dozen (some multiple times like OU & Miami).

Here is who I am sure of ... OU, CU, Penn State, Miami, FSU, Clemson, & Ga Tech.

Likely Texas during Vince Young’s Rose Bowl season.

Probables are Minnesota (1930s 40s) and Norte Dame from same time period. Less confident on Washington & BYU.

I’ll guess again at 10 now understanding the question better.

Ok, so playing in their National Championship years, floor is probably 7 and maybe a dozen (some multiple times like OU & Miami).

Here is who I am sure of ... OU, CU, Penn State, Miami, FSU, Clemson, & Ga Tech.

Likely Texas during Vince Young’s Rose Bowl season.

Probables are Minnesota (1930s 40s) and Norte Dame from same time period. Less confident on Washington & BYU.

I’ll guess again at 10 now understanding the question better.
In total, the number of individual national championship squads that Nebraska has played is well over 12...

You did, however, correctly identify 10 of the 12 schools to have played the Huskers in a national championship season!
Oklahoma
Colorado
Penn St
Miami
Florida St
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Minnesota
Notre Dame
Washington

In total, the number of individual national championship squads that Nebraska has played is well over 12...

You did, however, correctly identify 10 of the 12 schools to have played the Huskers in a national championship season!
Oklahoma
Colorado
Penn St
Miami
Florida St
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Minnesota
Notre Dame
Washington
OU alone have had three National title coaches. Switzer & Bud Wilkinson can probably claim at least 3 each & then Bob Stoops added to their trophy case.

Miami earned two at our expense. The Go For 2 Orange Bowl & a pretty good beat down on a Crouch led Rose Bowl team.

If there’s two more teams out there, somebody else is going to have to identify them ... I’m ‘out of Schlitz’ for who is left.

Edit: maybe Army or the Stanford team Huskers lost to in Rose Bowl just before WWII.

Last edited:
A two-parter:

Without googling the answer,
who can name the state in which Nebraska has played at least 5 times without having lost a game
AND
who can name the state in which the Huskers have played at least 5 times without ever having won a game?
Guess would be won 5 - Hawaii
Lost 5 - Ohio

OU alone have had three National title coaches. Switzer & Bud Wilkinson can probably claim at least 3 each & then Bob Stoops added to their trophy case.

Miami earned two at our expense. The Go For 2 Orange Bowl & a pretty good beat down on a Crouch led Rose Bowl team.

If there’s two more teams out there, somebody else is going to have to identify them ... I’m ‘out of Schlitz’ for who is left.

Edit: maybe Army or the Stanford team Huskers lost to in Rose Bowl just before WWII.
Yep, 7 losses to national champ Sooner teams - 1950,1955,1956,1974,1975,1985,2000

We actually lost to 3 different Miami titlists - 1983, 1991, 2001

Army won championships in 1944 and 1945, but we didn't play them
Stanford has never won a national title

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back