• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Toxic culture of Maryland football

I was listening to Golic, Jr on the radio this morning and he said it took two months (so that must have been after all the recent bad press came out) for the football staff to go to the parents. No idea what was said belatedly, but it got me to thinking about the Riley staff after Sam died. Their compassion and sympathy expressed, and the concrete acts they took right from the get-go was what we all would want to happen in a time like that. What a contrast to Maryland.
Completely different circumstances. Sam passed away during a kicker's camp event off campus in Wisconsin and the coaching staff had nothing to do with that or his passing. Of course, they would contact the parents as soon as they knew something. Entirely different scenario at Maryland.

Completely different circumstances. Sam passed away during a kicker's camp event off campus in Wisconsin and the coaching staff had nothing to do with that or his passing. Of course, they would contact the parents as soon as they knew something. Entirely different scenario at Maryland.

The differences are obvious, but it is even worse when the player died on the coach's watch. All the more reason to contact the parents and they apparently didn't.

Did anyone happen to catch the coaches' interviews at B1G media days, when BTN interviewed groups of 3 or 4 coaches at once (I think this was early on the first day). DJ Durkin was in the group with HCSF. They interviewed SF first in the group, and he made some light-hearted statements. Then they went to Durkin, and his first comment was about how they were dedicating the season to Jordan McNair. Kind of threw a pall on the moment, understandably. But part of me was thinking, he sounded like he said that out of obligation, rather than a genuine concern for the kid.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back