• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Toxic culture of Maryland football

In this day and age when everything is out there in some sort of media within minutes and with all the money on the line with a coaching staff to produce a winner within 3 years we probably should not be shocked with what lengths some people will go to be successful. For every one of these incidents that come to light, you have to know that there is probably 5 plus schools in the same boat somewhere. The fun competitive sporting nature of sports has turned into a dog eat dog mentality.......my 15 second soapbox moment is over.

Its amazing no one died at Camp Curtis or at Bear Bryant's A&M camps. Water was forbidden in that August heat. Amazing no one died. In my high school days, we had no water during practice and on game nights, instead of bringing out water during a timeout, they brought out wet towels. Weird. Of course, we won two state championships, but still weird.

Its amazing no one died at Camp Curtis or at Bear Bryant's A&M camps. Water was forbidden in that August heat. Amazing no one died. In my high school days, we had no water during practice and on game nights, instead of bringing out water during a timeout, they brought out wet towels. Weird. Of course, we won two state championships, but still weird.
It is rather amazing. Of course, in that day it was rare to have players much over 200 lbs. And they all started out in pretty good shape because they all had manual jobs from a young age.

If this is true, which im certain it probably is, I can see manslaughter charges brought by the State against coaches/trainers in attendance that day. Civil Wrongful death charges are a given.

If this is true, which im certain it probably is, I can see manslaughter charges brought by the State against coaches/trainers in attendance that day. Civil Wrongful death charges are a given.
Civil has already started. Saw it on the news tonight when i got home.

Newest info is the school is denying the charge that the kid had a seizure. They said, "No coaches or players have reported this to our staff."

Turns out practices are all under cameras and there are also surveilance cameras around the field. The administration won't let anyone see the film yet, but there are a couple of FOIA request in for them by the Post and other outlets.

i

Maryland accepts responsibility in McNair death
The University of Maryland has parted ways with assistant AD for sports performance Rick Court in the wake of "mistakes" that led to the death of Jordan McNair.
Story Link

The university also has parted ways with assistant athletics director for sports performance Rick Court, who resigned, according to a letter obtained by ESPN's Adam Rittenberg, and reached a financial settlement with the university Tuesday.

Loh said he and athletic director Damon Evans visited with the family of McNair in Baltimore earlier Tuesday morning to "to express on behalf of the university our apology for the loss of their son on that fateful day of May 29th.

"They entrusted their son to us, and he did not return home."

Last edited:

I was listening to Golic, Jr on the radio this morning and he said it took two months (so that must have been after all the recent bad press came out) for the football staff to go to the parents. No idea what was said belatedly, but it got me to thinking about the Riley staff after Sam died. Their compassion and sympathy expressed, and the concrete acts they took right from the get-go was what we all would want to happen in a time like that. What a contrast to Maryland.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back