• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tour De France

my guys were on the finish line of todays race, and the team my son in law sponsors won that stage. Very exciting. I've got pictures on my phone from them but don't know how to attach them to this board.

my guys were on the finish line of todays race, and the team my son in law sponsors won that stage. Very exciting. I've got pictures on my phone from them but don't know how to attach them to this board.

I think I saw them?

Were they wearing Nebraska hats?

No. My grandson (long auburn hair under a straw hat) was on my son in laws shoulder and facing back up the course, they were two steps past the end of the stage on the right side. Maybe one row back from the very front.

I used to watch it faithfully going all the way back to Bernard Hunault last win in 85 I believe it was. I guess I just lost interest in it after Armstrong's demise and I also have less time to watch it during the summer now that I am not a school teacher.

I am a little turned off by the witch hunt way they went after Armstrong. It is so hypocritical. Pro Cycling is the dirtiest sport in the world. It has been for a long time before Armstrong and is still dirty today. I personally believe all the top riders are doing some sort of doping.

My theory on Armstrong is that they, as in the pro cycling governing body, were pissed that he came back after retiring for a couple of years. They don't like that. They don't want someone to dominate too long. So that is why they went after him. If he would have stayed retired all would have been fine.

He made a huge mistake not coming clean and denying for so long but that is another story.

That is my :Sign2cents:

This is pretty much my thinking. There are people who analyze the energy expended during the race and it's pretty clear the guys prior to Armstrong - Indurain and Hinault were doping even more than he was, and everyone around Armstrong was doping as well

They are all incredible athletes, but in that sport, it's too dirty for anyone to really complete clean. Indurain, for instance, had a resting heart rate of 29 beats per minute, and a max of over 196. He had 1.5x lung capacity over about everyone.. As I used to joke about him, he didn't get that way by just eating his Wheaties in the morning! ;)

Part of the crackdowns were that quite a few young cyclists died, likely from the EPO they were taking (along with God knows what else)

Side note - in college I worked for a Radiation Onc department doing Statistics. We did a study on Erythropoietin given to patients receiving radiation treatments. The idea was that it would keep their red blood cell counts up. And it worked like a charm!

But then 5 years later, all of cycling was taking it

Last edited:
What many teams are taking is what my son in law produces. Not a drug it is a food (approved as a food by FDA) that is produced naturally in your body, particularly when your sugar supported energy can't hack it. Ketone esters. Most of the teams buy that product from his company.

I don't know how many are actually taking drugs now - probably some but I have no knowledge since the ketones used properly are just as good and they are legal.

Still someone in lab somewhere may have come up with a non approved drug that some riders would be willing to try. Lord knows that is entirely possible.

I like the tour, but admittedly watching has mirrored the amount I ride as the years have gone on. About 7 years ago I bought a Ridley bike (still a great bike -- high tensile carbon frame, Shimano Ultegra Electronic shifting - so smooth) and followed the Belgium team for a couple of years as a result. They had a guy - De Gendt, I think(?) that was a long shot in the Tour but a beast in the mountains IIRC. Made it kind of fun to watch. Like someone else said, you have to have someone to root for. I've done several 2-3 day tours totaling over 200 miles, and I have a great deal of respect for the stamina (physical and mental) these athletes have, nothing else compares.

I got into cycling in ~'99 and there were some characters that were fun to watch, but that we now know we're all getting a lot of assisted biomedical chemistry. I think I'll make a point to watch (and ride) more this year. At least the latter will help work off all the brisket and bbq I'm making now!

GBR - can't wait for football season!

Doug

If both Pogacar and Vingegaard are healthy ( Vingegaard still a question mark I believe ) it will be an epic battle. Throw in Roglic and Sepp Kuss and probably another couple unknowns it will be a much fun 3 weeks.

Last edited:

If both Pogacar and Vingegaard are healthy ( Vingegaard still a question mark I believe ) it will be an epic battle. Through in Roglic and Sepp Kuss and probably another couple unknowns it will be a much fun 3 weeks.
Tour De France is still one of the best sporting events for an individual, testing stamina for one day and endurance for testing stamina for many days. I've known a few bikers in my past (but none were of this class). I hope you have lots of fun watching (from you bicycle seat?). Enjoy. :)

Haven’t watched the Tour in a few years and have completely lost account of riders and teams. I will have to make a point of watching this year. Haven’t seen a broadcast since Paul Sherwin passed but if Bob Roll is commentating it should be entertaining.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back