• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Top Recruiting Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree whole heartedly, I am just saying what kind of improvement could we have with a class like USC is going to have next year. Our top guy is a 5.8 and that is the lowest star on their class. What a collection of talent, now what you do with that talent is the key. That is why Carroll was a good coach not a great coach IMO. USC always get these kinds of athletes and much like Texas they fall short of expectations.

Wow. I could not disagree more. IMPO Pete Carroll is one of the top 5-10 college coaches of all-time, easy. He relates to the players better than any coach in college today and can recruit with all of them. He now has the name recognition so if he ever leaves Seattle and comes back to college ball, he will recruit top 5 classes to whoever he coaches. It helped being in California, obviously, just like it helps Saban to be in the south, but both will still kill it in the recruiting department no matter the place.

Wow. I could not disagree more. IMPO Pete Carroll is one of the top 5-10 college coaches of all-time, easy. He relates to the players better than any coach in college today and can recruit with all of them. He now has the name recognition so if he ever leaves Seattle and comes back to college ball, he will recruit top 5 classes to whoever he coaches. It helped being in California, obviously, just like it helps Saban to be in the south, but both will still kill it in the recruiting department no matter the place.

I know you know more than I but the bolded part is my point. He gets great talent but does he coach them up great. I believe Saban is a great coach but I am not sold on Carroll just yet.

Saban and Carroll are both great coaches. But neither have had to recruit from a location like Lincoln. Build a team from outside the hotbed of recruiting and see what they could do. Mack Brown is a average coach that does nothing with the talent in his back yard. When you have a talent pool coming in every year you will always look good. Heck I could look good if I was coach at Texas or So Cal. Just think what the Huskers could do with all the talent those teams get. Saban looks good because he is a good coach and has the advantage of the SEC recruiting (oversigning) rules. This makes him look great. The Huskers are good at finding talent that blends with the walk-ons and the Nebraska values. That is key for the team concept. Which helps equalize the location disadvantage.

I know you know more than I but the bolded part is my point. He gets great talent but does he coach them up great. I believe Saban is a great coach but I am not sold on Carroll just yet.

I think Carroll coached them up tremendously. Look at his teams at USC. After going 6-6 in his first year in 2001, Carroll took at team that was basically all Paul Hackett's recruits and went 11-2 and finished #4 in 2002. USC then did their best impersonation of the 90's Huskers.

2003: 12-1 ranked #1 by the AP
2004: 13-0 (national champs)
2005: 12-1 (#2)
2006: 11-2 (#4)
2007: 11-2 (#2,#3)
2008: 12-1 (#2, #3)
2009: 9-4 (#20, #22)

Really from 2002-2008 USC was arguably the best team in the country every year. At least on the level of being capable of beating anyone in the country.

I agree with yours and most peoples opinions of Mack Brown, I agree 100% about him. But if coaches like Pete Carroll benefited so much from their recruiting location, then the NFL would not have come calling. The NFL doesnt care how good he recruited at USC, they know he can X's and O's with anyone. Carroll is one of the top handful of defensive minds in the coaching ranks IMPO. Carroll is a tremendous coach and motivator who relates to his players (both NFL and college) better than maybe anyone outside of Jim Harbaugh (who IMPO is the best coach on any level of football).

I think Carroll coached them up tremendously. Look at his teams at USC. After going 6-6 in his first year in 2001, Carroll took at team that was basically all Paul Hackett's recruits and went 11-2 and finished #4 in 2002. USC then did their best impersonation of the 90's Huskers.

2003: 12-1 ranked #1 by the AP
2004: 13-0 (national champs)
2005: 12-1 (#2)
2006: 11-2 (#4)
2007: 11-2 (#2,#3)
2008: 12-1 (#2, #3)
2009: 9-4 (#20, #22)

Really from 2002-2008 USC was arguably the best team in the country every year. At least on the level of being capable of beating anyone in the country.

I agree with yours and most peoples opinions of Mack Brown, I agree 100% about him. But if coaches like Pete Carroll benefited so much from their recruiting location, then the NFL would not have come calling. The NFL doesnt care how good he recruited at USC, they know he can X's and O's with anyone. Carroll is one of the top handful of defensive minds in the coaching ranks IMPO. Carroll is a tremendous coach and motivator who relates to his players (both NFL and college) better than maybe anyone outside of Jim Harbaugh (who IMPO is the best coach on any level of football).

Hands down.

I thought the SEC had the best teams?

I know you're being sarcastic but I just want to reiterate...personally, from 2002-2008 I would have picked USC heads-up against anyone. I dont care if it was LSU from '03 or '07, Florida in '06 or '08 or an undefeated Auburn in '04, IMPO if USC played any of them twice - they win at least one. That's an impressive fact. Would have loved to see USC play LSU in 2003, those were two very good teams.

I know you're being sarcastic but I just want to reiterate...personally, from 2002-2008 I would have picked USC heads-up against anyone. I dont care if it was LSU from '03 or '07, Florida in '06 or '08 or an undefeated Auburn in '04, IMPO if USC played any of them twice - they win at least one. That's an impressive fact. Would have loved to see USC play LSU in 2003, those were two very good teams.

Yes I was. I try hard to avoid it but sometimes the fingers just take over. I agree that those would have been good games to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back