• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Top Recruiting Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skull Crusher

Scout Team
2 Year Member
I was just looking at USC which is #1 for 2013 and it is amazing the rankings of their recruits next year. The lowest recruit number is 5.8, that is a medium four star recruit. They have four at 5.8, two that are 5.9 and five at 6.0 which is .1 below a five star recruit. They have five 5 star recruits that look to be real great players. I wish I could even imagine a class like that for NU, man what would that do for our program, maybe one day.

Last edited:

Look at the talent they have to choose from in Southern California....they should be getting this sort of talent....just think if Nebraska had that kind of talent to pick from in the local area....location is everything in recrutiing....

Starting this year for the next three years they will be capped at 15 scholarships so that is going to hurt them....

Lane Kiffen may not be long at USC if he does not improve on what was a poor coaching job in 2012 and a 7-5 record....

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/26/sports/la-sp-1126-usc-football-20121126

Last edited:
Their past several classes have been stellar as well so to have the defense they have this year is really inexcusable. On the other hand, their WRs are unreal.

I agree...I don't see Kiffin lasting too long.

most of their teams of the past 8-9 years have been close to the same. 4 and 5 years ago, pete carroll had top 3 classes as well, which are the jrs and srs of this years team.

A very nice collection of talent, but not much of a TEAM.

Just my $.02 worth, but those stars measure football prowess. I don't think they have anything to do with the kids character and, unless I read all the indicators wrong, that is a large factor in whether this staff pursues the athlete. I am pretty sure that if they find one of these guys that are highly rated AND meet the "other" criteria that they would pursue him relentlessly. I am of the opinion that at least some of the 5 star all-everythings are a little more focused on the "me" instead of the "we" aspect of team sport. When this staff finds a kid they believe has the football acumen and they also believe he will fit the Nebraska football family, they will make every effort to see him in Husker Red.

Besides that, I am at the mercy of the coaching staffs judgement on who is going to fit the program. Right now I don't have much reason not to think they are doing what is best for the program. Their jobs depend on that judgement.

most of their teams of the past 8-9 years have been close to the same. 4 and 5 years ago, pete carroll had top 3 classes as well, which are the jrs and srs of this years team.

A very nice collection of talent, but not much of a TEAM.

You hit the nail on the head! USC, Texas, Miami, it doesn't matter. Loads of talent but they don't get the 'team' concept. Most of the 5 stars are in it for themselves & it shows on the field

I think that Lane's ability to recruit (actually Ed Orgeron) is the only thing that is keeping him there. I suspect that the AD will keep him on to get the best athletes for the next couple of years. That is a tough spot to for a high profile coach to step into given the scolly restrictions. After a couple of years the proverbial cupboard is stacked and easy to to entice a coach that can actually coach them up as Kiffen has been mediocre at best.

right about orgeron, he is a recruiting phenom, no doubt, he did it all for pete carroll as well. Pat Haden wouldnt have chosen Lane Kiffen as his coach, but he isnt going to fire him any time soon either, unless all the wheels come off. Kiffen will be given his 4-5 years to succeed and ride out the probation, if he is a 9-10 win per year coach at the end of that time, then he prob deserves to stay. Kiffen has kept his mouth shut, and his head down in his 2 years there, which he didnt do at tenn. He has been saying all the right things, as I think that Haden has him scared for his job. (just a locals opinion)

Since the class of 2008 (our red shirt seniors) through 2011 class, according to Rivals, Nebraska has had: 1- 5 star recruit, 26- 4 star recruits, and 52- 3 star recruits. In those same 4 years, USC has had: 11- 5 star recruits, 50- 4 star recruits, and 19- 3 star recruits. They went 7-5 and will be watching Championship week from their couches while we went 10-2 and are preparing for the Big Ten Championship game. Say what you want but I put alot of this on good coaching. Like someone said previously, USC is just a bunch on individuals, not a team. We have always got the kid that was overlooked and turned them into a star. And we don't break the rules doing it. GBR

I heard Carson Palmer talking about the problem U$C has had the last few years. When the program was rising from the ashes, the players were working hard and wanted to prove to everyone that they were good. The team found success and was able to attract even more high school talent. The problem, as he put it, was the sense of entitlement and lack of work. All of their recuits were told they were the greatest ever and didn't put the work in during the offseason. It started showing on the field before Pete Carroll left and has continued since. Lane will last long enough to get them through the scholarship restrictions, as no other coach will touch that job until then.

I heard Carson Palmer talking about the problem U$C has had the last few years. When the program was rising from the ashes, the players were working hard and wanted to prove to everyone that they were good. The team found success and was able to attract even more high school talent. The problem, as he put it, was the sense of entitlement and lack of work. All of their recuits were told they were the greatest ever and didn't put the work in during the offseason. It started showing on the field before Pete Carroll left and has continued since. Lane will last long enough to get them through the scholarship restrictions, as no other coach will touch that job until then.

See also: Texa$$

Since the class of 2008 (our red shirt seniors) through 2011 class, according to Rivals, Nebraska has had: 1- 5 star recruit, 26- 4 star recruits, and 52- 3 star recruits. In those same 4 years, USC has had: 11- 5 star recruits, 50- 4 star recruits, and 19- 3 star recruits. They went 7-5 and will be watching Championship week from their couches while we went 10-2 and are preparing for the Big Ten Championship game. Say what you want but I put alot of this on good coaching. Like someone said previously, USC is just a bunch on individuals, not a team. We have always got the kid that was overlooked and turned them into a star. And we don't break the rules doing it. GBR

Cfbmatrix.com guy (Bartoo) has a formula to predict every game..in the spring...based on a talent factor-some sort of moving average based on recruiting rankings, where the game is played, and a coaching factor. He is 72.7% overall for the year and 75%+ for the AQ conferences.

In his system, lane kiffin is worth -2 games/year on the coaching side

oh, and he thinks Bill Snyder is a witch...he is worth basically a +4. The guy equated what they were doing mid-season talent-wise to Indiana going undefeated.

Just my $.02 worth, but those stars measure football prowess. I don't think they have anything to do with the kids character and, unless I read all the indicators wrong, that is a large factor in whether this staff pursues the athlete. I am pretty sure that if they find one of these guys that are highly rated AND meet the "other" criteria that they would pursue him relentlessly. I am of the opinion that at least some of the 5 star all-everythings are a little more focused on the "me" instead of the "we" aspect of team sport. When this staff finds a kid they believe has the football acumen and they also believe he will fit the Nebraska football family, they will make every effort to see him in Husker Red.

Besides that, I am at the mercy of the coaching staffs judgement on who is going to fit the program. Right now I don't have much reason not to think they are doing what is best for the program. Their jobs depend on that judgement.

I agree whole heartedly, I am just saying what kind of improvement could we have with a class like USC is going to have next year. Our top guy is a 5.8 and that is the lowest star on their class. What a collection of talent, now what you do with that talent is the key. That is why Carroll was a good coach not a great coach IMO. USC always get these kinds of athletes and much like Texas they fall short of expectations.

USC may be stockpiling a lot of talent and I think that's a good thing. I figure if they want to have 6 five star running backs on their roster, that's 5 that are riding the bench and not making some other team better. USC, also has a lot of off field distractions, which gives the Huskers an advantage as there isn't nothing to do at Nebraska but focus on football :Biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back