• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 coaches leading in NU search 9/20/22

I've refuse to read bleacher report. It's a bunch of op-ed trash. Don't worry your little heads. Some very big names not on this list have to turn us down first before we get to the 2nd tier.
It's cool how they just stole that list from The Athletic without any additional reporting. Always impressed with Bleacher Reports' business model... :rolleyes:

None of the 3 excite me much, but I'm hardly the pulse of the fan base. The thing that concerns me about either Campbell or Leipold is what there ceiling might be. Think Bo Pelini. He righted the ship after BC was shown the door but he had a poor record against highly ranked teams. Maybe Campbell or Leipold could take that next step, maybe not (same for all coaches I guess). Not sure if O'Brien wants to back in the NFL or not, but if he came here and was offered a NFL HC job again it would probably mean our team was doing pretty good. At least we wouldn't have to pay him millions if he left on his own accord.
I originally was against Campbell but think about the Iowa State team he has. They were basically another KU and he’s gotten them at LEAST competitive. 2022 was the first time Iowa State has cracked the top 46 in recruiting rankings, but he’s got his teams 4-5 against TOP 10 teams and 10-16 against top 25 teams, 10-12 not counting his first season. Frost never ONCE beat a top 25 team in his tenure and Campbell beat two top 10 teams in his second season alone. Not saying he’s the answer but for what he can recruit to a town like Ames, Iowa, he’s done damn good

I’d be hard to turn our nose’s up at O’Brien. He’s worked under the best pro coach ever and the best college coach ever, we could do a lot worse

Not in any particular order:

Aranda - defensive minded, knows what it takes to win in the B1G, in a conference with a lot of uncertainty, young, has good recruiting ties to the Southeast and Texas

Patterson - proven head coach, defensive minded, strong Texas recruiting ties

Petersen - has shown he can win more with less, solid guy-good personality fit, only concern is whether his offense would prosper in the B1G

Fickel - solid coach, young enough to relate well with today’s players, NU would be a step up, knows what it takes to win in the B1G, strong recruiting ties in the conference footprint

Urban - IF, and that’s a big if, he remembers the taste of the humble pie he ate recently for a long time to come.

I live in PA and work with a bunch of PSU and OSU grads. Only thing negative the PSU grads really say about Obrien is that he left quicker than he said he would. Story here on Obrien is he will be one of 3 coaches that New England looks at when the Hoody retires.

OSU peps of course don't have much negative to say about Meyer, won a Nattie and left them with Day, whats to bitch about there.

None of the 3 excite me much, but I'm hardly the pulse of the fan base. The thing that concerns me about either Campbell or Leipold is what there ceiling might be. Think Bo Pelini. He righted the ship after BC was shown the door but he had a poor record against highly ranked teams. Maybe Campbell or Leipold could take that next step, maybe not (same for all coaches I guess). Not sure if O'Brien wants to back in the NFL or not, but if he came here and was offered a NFL HC job again it would probably mean our team was doing pretty good. At least we wouldn't have to pay him millions if he left on his own accord.
Leipold has had lots of success wherever he has coached so I'm not sure why you don't think he has done well. Do you just say that because he hasn't won at the D1 level yet? Even Saban wasn't successful at Mich State, was he? I doubt if any team or fan would have wanted him after his record there, would they? I'd gladly take any of the 3-6 top guys supposedly being considered-Leipold, Campbell, O'Brien, Chadwell, etc... I think Huskers aren't that far away from competing for at least top West status, though it sounds like B1G will be doing away with East/West divisions and probably going to 4 four team pods, which would probably be even better for the Huskers. It sounds like coaching fundamentals and being sound in that regard, is what the team needs most of all.

If this is a legit list, I just wonder who is leaking the data on this, because they should lose their job... TODAY.

What TA wil do takes a lot longer than two weeks. I suspect he hasn't even started culling any list he might have or might make as he makes his calls. He's probably still putting the list together. My guess is all three of these guys are on his list or will be recommended to him by one or more of the people he calls.

Patience grasshopper.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back