• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tonight's the Night

After 24 years, the Ford Bronco is coming back. Could not be more excited, and it seems like Ford is doing it right and didn't make an embarrassment like Chevy did with the new Blazer.

They did do it right. I'm not a Ford guy, but really like the looks of this vehicle.

I don't like the 2.7l Ecoboost as the power plant though. I've got that engine in my company truck and its an odd ball. Great on the highway, pretty mediocre from a mileage standpoint, but as an off road power plant it won't do well, IMO. Granted, I doubt many of these will spend extended time off of pavement.

Yeah, Chevy screwed the pooch. They really don't have a market for the full size K5 right now with the Tahoe already out there. I suppose they could have updated an S-10 Blazer or shrunk down the full size K5, but instead they decided to take the the GMC Acadia and tweak the skin.

They did do it right. I'm not a Ford guy, but really like the looks of this vehicle.

I don't like the 2.7l Ecoboost as the power plant though. I've got that engine in my company truck and its an odd ball. Great on the highway, pretty mediocre from a mileage standpoint, but as an off road power plant it won't do well, IMO. Granted, I doubt many of these will spend extended time off of pavement.

Yeah, Chevy screwed the pooch. They really don't have a market for the full size K5 right now with the Tahoe already out there. I suppose they could have updated an S-10 Blazer or shrunk down the full size K5, but instead they decided to take the the GMC Acadia and tweak the skin.

A lot of people are pretty high on the 2.7 Ecoboost since it's already in the Ranger. I'm not gonna be scaling the face of Mount Mitchell so it will be fine for my purposes.

A lot of people are pretty high on the 2.7 Ecoboost since it's already in the Ranger. I'm not gonna be scaling the face of Mount Mitchell so it will be fine for my purposes.

It's what's in my company work truck. It's fine in a non off roading setting, but I'm just not fond of turbo charged engines off road. Mine has 70,000 miles on it and it smokes like a freight train when you start it up. I don't know. I'm sure it will be fine.

It's what's in my company work truck. It's fine in a non off roading setting, but I'm just not fond of turbo charged engines off road. Mine has 70,000 miles on it and it smokes like a freight train when you start it up. I don't know. I'm sure it will be fine.
I really don't know this, and I do want to know. What are the drawbacks of a turbo charged engine for off road?

I really don't know this, and I do want to know. What are the drawbacks of a turbo charged engine for off road?

Most real off roading is at lower RPM and very controlled throttle and speed. That is squarely in the wheel house of the normally aspirated engine. Carbureted or fuel injected, it doesn't really matter, but throttle response is much more predictable and that is absolutely a desirable trait when it comes to off roading, IMO.

The 2.7l Ecoboost in the Bronco is the same engine I have in my work truck and its great for general driving, especially on the highway. Low speed or anything requiring low RPM and it's a different story. I slightly over depress the gas pedal and the thing breaks the rear tires loose like I'm trying to do a burnout. Slightly wet pavement is a shite show.

Gearing can compensate for some of the overpowering that happens with the turbo boost and a manual with low range in the transfer case will help even more, but if I'm seriously off roading, I want complete control.

If we're talking about mudding or off road racing, different story.

Not a knock on the engine, though I still have some reservations, but the pairing to me is odd.

Edit:

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier. It's actually a good question.

Last edited:
Most real off roading is at lower RPM and very controlled throttle and speed. That is squarely in the wheel house of the normally aspirated engine. Carbureted or fuel injected, it doesn't really matter, but throttle response is much more predictable and that is absolutely a desirable trait when it comes to off roading, IMO.

The 2.7l Ecoboost in the Bronco is the same engine I have in my work truck and its great for general driving, especially on the highway. Low speed or anything requiring low RPM and it's a different story. I slightly over depress the gas pedal and the thing breaks the rear tires loose like I'm trying to do a burnout. Slightly wet pavement is a shite show.

Gearing can compensate for some of the overpowering that happens with the turbo boost and a manual with low range in the transfer case will help even more, but if I'm seriously off roading, I want complete control.

Not a knock on the engine, though I still have some reservations, but the pairing to me is odd.

Edit:

I appreciate the education. As for the slow response, I just figured you were busy (I assume most people on this board have priorities in life that are higher than this board. At least, I hope so).

Your explanation make sense to me. I knew turbocharged engines work best (most efficient?) under a full, constant load. Examples that I know of come from farm equipment (tractors, combines, forage harvesters, etc.). What I wasn't considering the control of wheel speed. I have never been 4-wheeling (except for jumping terraces when trying to catch an escaped calf). I have seen film of off roading, so I should have thought of that.

The only type of wheel speed control that could possibly work would be pairing the turbocharged engine with a hydrostatic transmission. The wheel speed control of a hydrostatic transmission is simply fantastic, even with varying engine RPM. I don't think the power drop off (what on farm tractors was referred to as drawbar HP rating) would affect your application very much, if at all. However, I doubt a hydrostatic transmission would be practical in your situation, just because of the added cost.

Again, thanks for the education. :)

Had a Bronco, can't remember if it was 1979 or maybe 1980. It appears I also had a lot more hair back then too.
IMG_0703.JPG

Edit:

@CrabHusker , here's video of a few stock Broncos at Rubicon. I'll never, ever do this. But that's pretty damn cool.

@CrabHusker , here's video of a few stock Broncos at Rubicon. I'll never, ever do this. But that's pretty damn cool.

That's cool. I'm not that far from Rubicon. I have a 4 wheel drive, but I wont be doing this either. The hiking trail however.....

I give them credit for having the balls to let people film and post them testing stock vehicles that arent even for sale yet.
It's a great area, I've been all around it, I just don't have the vehicle for it. Serious off road terrain.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back