• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Tommy Armstrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with alot of this except the improvement part. He better make improvement as he does not have Bo looking out for him
It is amusing to me that critics of the program insist on saying the same things about TA that they said about TM.

It could t possibly be that they were the best options at the position, could it?

Armstrong is painful to watch. He's not Jammal Lord horrible...but he's close. Nebraska's failure to produce a single legit QB prospect in 7 years, for me, is THE singular failure of the last coaching staff...and. Major reason why they are no longer here.

Agree, but Jammal Lord was a great runner. Tommy is a good runner not a great runner.

The inherent problem is that---short of being down 30+ points---Tommy should NEVER be asked to throw the ball 51 times. He's not that kind of QB. I don't care what he does in practice, if he's better there, but in games he clearly struggles with being put in a position to just drop back and find the open guy. He's going on year 2 of struggling at doing that. Yet Beck refused to believe his own eyes right up to the bitter end and in fact doubled down last night and had him drop back a ton (sometimes ridiculously far). It nearly led to 3 or 4 more picks had the USC defenders had working fingers.

Tommy MAY be the guy for Riley . . . time will tell. But if he is, I would bet Riley does a better job of putting him in a position to succeed than Beck has and that he'll focus more on easier reads and set routes and working more to the TE's off play action, bootlegs, etc while also letting TA use his legs. It was clear last night that he still struggled mightily when the straight dropback game was emphasized and performed pretty darn well when things were dialed back and he was asked to do what he does best.

I think a lot of Tommy's struggles have come as the result of his OC insisting on making him something that he's not. Now that he'll have a new OC and you have to believe some far better coaching, we'll see if he can be the guy under the new regime.
So obviously what he actually did in the game does not matter to you?

Tommy will definitely be in the mix and, despite SoCal's endorsement, will definitely be the favorite to win the position. While he has significant areas to improve, his experience edge alone IMO, is nearly insurmountable for the first 2015 game. I do think Riley will open up the competition, and others will get a good look. We will know quickly who the contenders are but it is likely there will only be one (Stanton, but possibly Darlington). If we see that QB getting some significant rep's in the first or second game...then we will know that he is being prepped to replace Tommy, if TA at some point falters.

While TA's game against USC could have been a disaster had USC intercepted just a few passes that seemed destined for interception...all in all, he ended up with a pretty good game statistically. Keep in mind though, that good passing days against USC this past season has been more the norm than the exception. Believe it or not, teams averaged over 275 yards per game and about 60% completions against them.

Last edited:

It is amusing to me that critics of the program insist on saying the same things about TA that they said about TM.

It could t possibly be that they were the best options at the position, could it?

So, do you think that's an indictment of the fans . . . or an indictment of the coaches who are responsible for recruiting and developing players that can do what their "systems" ask? TA gets a lot of the same criticism that Martinez got because they are both NOT highly skilled passers (much less dropback passers) who have been continually asked to be what they were/are not. That's symptomatic of coaches who are married to their schemes rather than adjusting to what their players can do best.

Same reason the defense has struggled with the defensive guru at the helm the last several years. That must be a fan problem, too.

So obviously what he actually did in the game does not matter to you?

So Cal: Been reading your defense of TA and you must have felt the same about TM. Stats are for losers. Are you then saying because of his stats, he had the best bowl of any NU QB? Are you saying TM was a great QB at Nebraska because of his stats? TA could be the starter next year, but I think the odds are 50/50 at best. I get tired of the whole reps argument and that this is the best QB we have. TA was very lucky to have the stats he did last night. USC dropped 3-4 easy picks and the throw to Westerkamp probably shouldn't have been thrown. Westy made a great play. His decision making is not good. And I don't know why we call it a zone read, when there is no read. Not all of this is TA's fault, a lot of it is coaching. When Pelini coached it just seemed like when one QB was named the starter, that was it no matter the performance. Well Pelini was fired and most thought that was a good idea. So I am not convinced TA is the best we have. Quite frankly, I think Tim Beck was lazy in that he did not develop a 2nd QB. The reps excuse doesn't hold water with me. TO didn't seem to have that problem (see Berringer & Turman). In TA's favor is that he is tough, but when he was yelling at his teammates and arguing with the coaches, that wasn't good leadership in my opinion. Did Beck play to TA's strengths? No, but TA made plenty of poor decisions last night and Reilly recruited Stanton hard. I think being an Elite 11 QB warrants a pretty good argument for possibly starting in a pro style offense. I am for whoever gives us the best chance of winning, but I am not sure everyone was always given equal opportunities at several positions, including QB under Pelini and Beck.

It's an opinion board, so you have yours others have their's. I think we can all agree that we are not satisfied with 9-4 season's and that some things need to change. We have a new coach, why not try a new QB?

GBR in 2015!

So, do you think that's an indictment of the fans . . . or an indictment of the coaches who are responsible for recruiting and developing players that can do what their "systems" ask? TA gets a lot of the same criticism that Martinez got because they are both NOT highly skilled passers (much less dropback passers) who have been continually asked to be what they were/are not. That's symptomatic of coaches who are married to their schemes rather than adjusting to what their players can do best.

Same reason the defense has struggled with the defensive guru at the helm the last several years. That must be a fan problem, too.

Thumbs up

That is because its like Ground Hog day. Even if they are the best options, doesnt mitigate the indictment of the regime for not doing better in scouting up a QB. Don't worry, HCMR will find some.

Like I said, Bo wont be here to protect the status quo. Every player should be playing for his job in every game.

NU fans have suffered through 6 straight years of inconsistent QB play. Martinez fumbles and injuries...dual QBs...completion % problems
To make it worse they all showed flashes of brilliance. The fans just want a consistent QB that takes care of the ball. Anything else is icing on the cake at this point. IMO

Tommy will definitely be in the mix and, despite SoCal's endorsement, will definitely be the favorite to win the position. While he has significant areas to improve, his experience edge alone IMO, is nearly insurmountable for the first 2015 game. I do think Riley will open up the competition, and others will get a good look. We will know quickly who the contenders are but it is likely there will only be one (Stanton, but possibly Darlington). If we see that QB getting some significant rep's in the first or second game...then we will know that he is being prepped to replace Tommy, if TA at some point falters.

While TA's game against USC could have been a disaster had USC intercepted just a few passes that seemed destined for interception...all in all, he ended up with a pretty good game statistically. Keep in mind though, that good passing days against USC this past season has been more the norm than the exception. Believe it or not, teams averaged over 275 yards per game and about 60% completions against them.
Just for the record, I haven't given any player my endorsement at the position. You always misread my posts. I just think it's blatantly stupid for anyone to dismiss Tommy out of hand. A returning two year starter with leadership skills which TM never really had cannot be dismissed, imo.

NU fans have suffered through 6 straight years of inconsistent QB play. Martinez fumbles and injuries...dual QBs...completion % problems
To make it worse they all showed flashes of brilliance. The fans just want a consistent QB that takes care of the ball. Anything else is icing on the cake at this point. IMO
Speak for yourself; you certainly don't speak for "the fans". Your version of a QB isn't going to win any championships.

Speak for yourself; you certainly don't speak for "the fans". Your version of a QB isn't going to win any championships.

I guess Alabama hasnt won any championships with consistent QBs that took care of the ball over the last ten years? Those QBs werent elite or good pros. Marshall at Auburn wasnt a great passer last year but made up for it running and not throwing inopportune? picks. Consistent doesnt mean lacking big plays. It means they consistently make correct decisions and get rid of the ball on time. Throw it away instead of taking a sack. If I dont speak for you about consistent QB play and taking care of the ball. What kind of QB do you want?

You make the same mistake we all do when we assume.

I suppose that's possible. It's strange that your post, which is directly below my post, clearly references dropped interceptions, which was one of the main points of my posts immediately above. Coincidence? Perhaps. Convenient backtracking? Most likely. I hate having to resort to hypophora.

Just for the record, I haven't given any player my endorsement at the position. You always misread my posts. I just think it's blatantly stupid for anyone to dismiss Tommy out of hand. A returning two year starter with leadership skills which TM never really had cannot be dismissed, imo.

LOL...probably because you never take a stand. After UCLA 2013, you are done with Bo...oh, but then you are all for him again, before you were done with him again, but now think he's been wronged. LOL. You opinions are a mess. It's the same thing with TA...even you have no idea what you think of him. A mess...LOL.

Last edited:

That is because its like Ground Hog day. Even if they are the best options, doesnt mitigate the indictment of the regime for not doing better in scouting up a QB. Don't worry, HCMR will find some.

Like I said, Bo wont be here to protect the status quo. Every player should be playing for his job in every game.

Thumbs up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back