• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Tommy Armstrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Alabama hasnt won any championships with consistent QBs that took care of the ball over the last ten years? Those QBs werent elite or good pros. Marshall at Auburn wasnt a great passer last year but made up for it running and not throwing inopportune? picks. Consistent doesnt mean lacking big plays. It means they consistently make correct decisions and get rid of the ball on time. Throw it away instead of taking a sack. If I dont speak for you about consistent QB play and taking care of the ball. What kind of QB do you want?

Agree. If USC had defensive backs that could catch a ball there would have been 5 inteceptions instead of just 1. The score would have been much worse for NU and more embarrassing as the ESPN analysts had predicted it would be.
The good thing is Coach Riley was sitting in the stands to see it and if he is any kind of a good head coach he will either provide more in depth QB coaching for TA and/or give the other QBs a more in depth look and chance to prove themselves when Spring Ball starts. All eyes will be on Coach Riley now to see what he decides to do. I'm also tired of seeing strugling NU QBs in big games.

I guess 42 points and 525 yards of offense isn't good enough. Tough crowd.

We needed 46 . . . very well might have gotten it if Beck didn't think he had Brett Favre in the backfield (or hadn't forgotten that Ameer WAS in the backfield). Try to look past the stats. Armstrong had his success in that game when he was asked to do what he does best--use his feet, make simpler reads/throws, etc. He looked his absolute worst being asked to drop back from the gun (as he has for 2 years)--yet Beck kept going to that well when he didn't need to against USC. Maybe a couple more sustained drives keeps a few USC points off the board and puts a few more up for us?

Last edited:
Tommy will definitely be in the mix and, despite SoCal's endorsement, will definitely be the favorite to win the position. While he has significant areas to improve, his experience edge alone IMO, is nearly insurmountable for the first 2015 game. I do think Riley will open up the competition, and others will get a good look. We will know quickly who the contenders are but it is likely there will only be one (Stanton, but possibly Darlington). If we see that QB getting some significant rep's in the first or second game...then we will know that he is being prepped to replace Tommy, if TA at some point falters.

While TA's game against USC could have been a disaster had USC intercepted just a few passes that seemed destined for interception...all in all, he ended up with a pretty good game statistically. Keep in mind though, that good passing days against USC this past season has been more the norm than the exception. Believe it or not, teams averaged over 275 yards per game and about 60% completions against them.

My thoughts about the QB choice exactly. Good point with reference to USC stats. The QB competition will be fun to watch. A significant factor in who wins the position, of course, will be the ability of the QB to pick up and implement the the new system on offense that will be on the table...assuming Beck will be gone.

Last edited:

We needed 46 . . . very well might have gotten it if Beck didn't think he had Brett Favre in the backfield (or hadn't forgotten that Ameer WAS in the backfield). Try to look past the stats. Armstrong had his success in that game when he was asked to do what he does best--use his feet, make simpler reads/throws, etc. He looked his absolute worst being asked to drop back from the gun (as he has for 2 years)--yet Beck kept going to that well when he didn't need to against USC. Maybe a couple more sustained drives keeps a few USC points off the board and puts a few more up for us?

While I don't disagree with you about Beck and some of his headscratching calls, I was more referring to the way TA played in that game. It wasn't perfect and he had some throws that should have been picked off. But it's tough to argue with the overall results.

He should have had 15 or more additional INT's this season if any one with decent hands were playing defense... He is not a throwing QB by any stretch of the imagination...

I wasnt writing TA off. I was just stating he needed to make more consistent reads. He can throw the ball. He showed improvement for sure. I am just weary of inconsistent QB play. He had great stats but made sone really bad reads early in that game. He is only a sophmore. With a great competitive spirit. I am tired of the recent qbs turning the ball over and makng bad decisions continually.

As pointed out, it wouldn't have been 42 points or 525 yards if the USC defenders would have simply caught the other 4 INT's that were thrown right at their numbers. Armstrong was very fortunate.

Last edited:
Someone here please name the last time the Huskers won a championship of any kind with a caretaker QB.

I guess Alabama hasnt won any championships with consistent QBs that took care of the ball over the last ten years? Those QBs werent elite or good pros. Marshall at Auburn wasnt a great passer last year but made up for it running and not throwing inopportune? picks. Consistent doesnt mean lacking big plays. It means they consistently make correct decisions and get rid of the ball on time. Throw it away instead of taking a sack. If I dont speak for you about consistent QB play and taking care of the ball. What kind of QB do you want?

bama's qb's are ALL better than what NU has had on their roster. The key is bama qb's dont make as MANY mistakes. Helps when you have a very good OC.

Someone here please name the last time the Huskers won a championship of any kind with a caretaker QB.

Nebraska's last championships were won by coaches who were masterful in finding players who fit what they wanted to do and they further groomed their systems to best take advantage of the skill sets those players had. Frost was a championship QB at NU . . . how did he not win a championship running Stanford's passing based attack when he was there? Maybe because his skill set fit better with NU and NU used him in a manner aligned with his capabilities? Why did TO leverage the pass more with Berringer in the games?

Core competency---Identity. Develop things you are really good at and do them a lot and focus on what your players do best. Did TO switch to the gun and deep passes when there were 8 in the box because "they were taking away the pass"? Or were they so good at what they did best that they often ran successfully anyway and the other team couldn't stop it? Or they had a play that took advantage of the defense thinking they were going to run and they would hit a play-action pass where there were no complex reads?

Do you think a championship run with TA at the helm is going to be successful with him in the gun dropping back to pass 50 times? My eyes have told me "emphatically NO" for 2 years. His skill set is running the ball and throwing when he has easier reads to make (whether that's through set routes, misdirection, etc). Putting him in the gun and having him pick out the best guy to throw it to based on the coverage and having himself and the WR on the same page with "option routes" is not a winning formula. But that's what Beck's offense "is supposed to do" so he calls it anyway. Same things he did with Martinez. Find a guy who can run and who has a "live arm" and then call what you think the defense is giving you vs what might actually be the best plays based on what the players do best.

Nebraska's last championships were won by coaches who were masterful in finding players who fit what they wanted to do and they further groomed their systems to best take advantage of the skill sets those players had. Frost was a championship QB at NU . . . how did he not win a championship running Stanford's passing based attack when he was there? Maybe because his skill set fit better with NU and NU used him in a manner aligned with his capabilities? Why did TO leverage the pass more with Berringer in the games?

Core competency---Identity. Develop things you are really good at and do them a lot and focus on what your players do best. Did TO switch to the gun and deep passes when there were 8 in the box because "they were taking away the pass"? Or were they so good at what they did best that they often ran successfully anyway and the other team couldn't stop it? Or they had a play that took advantage of the defense thinking they were going to run and they would hit a play-action pass where there were no complex reads?

Do you think a championship run with TA at the helm is going to be successful with him in the gun dropping back to pass 50 times? My eyes have told me "emphatically NO" for 2 years. His skill set is running the ball and throwing when he has easier reads to make (whether that's through set routes, misdirection, etc). Putting him in the gun and having him pick out the best guy to throw it to based on the coverage and having himself and the WR on the same page with "option routes" is not a winning formula. But that's what Beck's offense "is supposed to do" so he calls it anyway. Same things he did with Martinez. Find a guy who can run and who has a "live arm" and then call what you think the defense is giving you vs what might actually be the best plays based on what the players do best.

Partial qualifiers is what it was called back in the day. This is no longer available to NU !!! Hope that helps.

3 last players of the year in Nebraska have signed with other fbs teams , this is not good for NU or Nebraska kids.

Partial qualifiers is what it was called back in the day. This is no longer available to NU !!! Hope that helps.

3 last players of the year in Nebraska have signed with other fbs teams , this is not good for NU or Nebraska kids.

The question was about QBs . . . pretty sure Berringer and Frost weren't partial qualifiers.

bama's qb's are ALL better than what NU has had on their roster. The key is bama qb's dont make as MANY mistakes. Helps when you have a very good OC.

I agree they all PLAYED or were COACHED better. I am not convinced they had better individual talent. Also, would put those bama qbs against ones Riley has developed over the years and feel ok about it. THIS is what gives me hope for TA and other QBs on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back