• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tommie Frazier vs. Turner Gill

I lean slightly towards Frazier.
They were both great QBs that ran Osborne's offense very well. I was going to NU while Turner was QB. Even had a class with him. He had an Aire of confidence about him. I was at the Orange bowl game that we lost to MU 31-30.

I found this article from Aug. 28, 1994;

T.O. said this: "Turner was a very fine passer and Tommie is coming on as a passer," Osborne said. "Tommie may have a little more pure speed than Turner. They both have great confidence."

"Frazier, a Heisman Trophy candidate, would rather dispense with the parallels: "I don't feel we should be compared because we came from two different eras. Coach Gill was in the early 80's and I'm in the early 90's."

Frazier Pre-draft measurables
HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash10-yard split20-yard split20-yard shuttleVertical jump
6 ft 0+1⁄4 in
(1.84 m)
210 lb
(95 kg)
33 in
(0.84 m)
10+5⁄8 in
(0.27 m)
4.75 s1.70 s2.80 s4.20 s30.5 in
(0.77 m)

Records and statistics[edit]​

• 33–3 record as starter
  • 2 national championships
  • 4 Big Eight Conference championships
  • former Nebraska Cornhuskers record for total offense, career (5,476 yards)
  • former Nebraska Cornhuskers record for touchdown passes, career (43)
  • former Nebraska Cornhuskers record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback, season (14)
  • former NCAA record for rushing yards in a bowl game by a quarterback (199)
  • former Nebraska Cornhuskers record for total offense in a bowl game (304 yards)
  • longest touchdown run in a bowl game (75 yards)
1712747075218.png

Turner Gill Stats:

College football statistics TURNER GILL #12​

Weight: 190 lbs, Height 6-0, Hometown: Ft. Worth, Texas
1712747018933.png

Gill played NU College Baseball also at Shortstop.
"Gill came back strong during 1982 and led the Huskers to a second consecutive outright Big 8 title and a 12–1 record overall, losing only a controversial game at eventual national champion Penn State in September. During that season, he suffered the first of many concussions in a game against Missouri that would ultimately shorten his playing career.

During his senior season, Turner would call the signals for one of the most prolific offenses in college football history, averaging 52 points and 401 rushing yards per game. Gill finished fourth in the voting for the 1983 Heisman Trophy, which was won by teammate Mike Rozier. The Huskers came within a whisker of a national championship, falling to the University of Miami, just one point short following a failed two-point conversion attempt in the 1984 Orange Bowl.

Overall, Gill finished with a 28–2 record in his three years as a starter, winning three consecutive outright Big Eight championships with a perfect 20–0 mark in conference play. Despite this, he was unable to lead the Huskers to a national title, falling agonizingly short in each of his three seasons."

1983 (Senior)
"Gill finished a sterling Nebraska career with a 28-2 record as the Huskers' starter including a 20-0 conference mark. Gill led the Big Eight in passing efficiency as a senior (152.7) and would have ranked third in the country had he attempted 10 more passes. One of the surest passer in Big Eight history, Gill set a school and conference record, and just missed the NCAA record for lowest interception percentage in a career (11 interceptions in 428 attempts, 2.57%), just .01 from the record set by USC's Paul McDonald. Had Gill thrown just one less interception or two more passes, he would have set the record. Gill set a school record (and fell just 17 shy of the conference record) by throwing 125 passes without an interception. Gill finished his career third on the NU chart in completions, percentage and yards (trailing in all three categories All-Americans Jerry Tagge and Dave Humm). Second to Humm with 34 career touchdowns, Gill also finished fourth all-time in NU total offense behind Tagge, Humm and Mike Rozier. "

If we had a QB that was this efficient we wouldn't have had 7 straight losing seasons!!!!

Last edited:

Heres the AI on the comparison:
"Let’s compare the physical attributes of Turner Gill and Tommie Frazier, both notable quarterbacks in Nebraska football history:"

1. Turner Gill:
  2. Tommie Frazier:
In summary, both Gill and Frazier contributed significantly to Nebraska football, albeit with different playing styles. Gill was a balanced dual-threat, while Frazier’s running prowess set him apart.

A great D wins championships!

Last edited:

Gill was a great player. But Frazier had the ability to will his team to victory like no other Nebraska player I have ever seen. Someone said above that we still beat Miami without Frazier (with Brook remaining as quarterback instead of getting pulled after throwing the pick). I disagree. Frazier single-handedly turned that game around. He had intangibles that I think are almost unique in Husker history. So I choose Frazier.

Tommie was the greatest college QB of all time and I stand by that. Each player had a capitol moment that defined who they were as players. As far as men, I love both of them. In the 1983 title game against Miami NU was driving late in the game. Osborn called an option. You could tell Gill was tentative and afraid to make a mistake. He pitched the ball and it turned out we scored on the play. But we scored in spite of Gill. He kind of froze in the moment. You can watch the replay and see has tentative he was.

In the 94 Title game, before the game typing score, I believe it was 3rd and 7 late in the game on Miami's side of the field. We called an almost identical option play to the 1983 game. There was a slight break down but Tommie immediately took the ball under and cut up field. It was almost like he was saying, "fine, ill do it myself". I think he picked up 15 on the play. He did something very similar the year before against FSU and everyone knows the rest.

Turner was one of the greatest ever to play the position. But Tommie was the greatest to ever play the position.

Heres the AI on the comparison:
Let’s compare the physical attributes of Turner Gill and Tommie Frazier, both notable quarterbacks in Nebraska football history:

1. Turner Gill:
  2. Tommie Frazier:
In summary, both Gill and Frazier contributed significantly to Nebraska football, albeit with different playing styles. Gill was a balanced dual-threat, while Frazier’s running prowess set him apart.
This analysis leaves so much out. Tommie had a legit #2 backup that saw meaningful playing time. Tommie also missed the majority of his Junior season with blood clots. Tommie is the only QB in college football history to win MVP in three consecutive NC games and you could argue that he played in four consecutive NC games (because the bowl alliance did not yet exist.

Whenever this argument comes up I always point towards a couple things.

1. Turner and TO shared a brain. He always knew what TO wanted and completely understood it. Many times TFraz was just the best athlete on the field.
2. People have already pointed out the discrepancy in defenses between early 80s and mid 90s. If you score over 30 in a national championship game you should win.
3. TG I feel had a better arm.
4. It is no accident that if you look at the top 5 QBs Turner is one of them and the other 4 he coached. TFraz, Brook, Frost and crouch.
5. TFraz through no fault of his own. Did not win all of the games that led to the championships. Especially 94 where I think he played in less than hallf the games. He had a lot of help from Brook. So we probably still beat Miami with Brook. Was there anyone who could replace Turner when he was the starter? The Clemson game showed that there was not.

For all of those reasons I give turner the ever so slight nod.
Lots of good stuff here. Let’s also not forget Tommie Frazier didn’t have Irving Fryar. I don’t believe we beat Miami without tommie, sorry cris Collinsworth apologists, but if Frazier plays the whole game, it’s a win going away.

You could tell Gill was tentative and afraid to make a mistake. He pitched the ball and it turned out we scored on the play. But we scored in spite of Gill. He kind of froze in the moment. You can watch the replay and see has tentative he was.

ya, im sorry bout this, but 3rd and 7 is not 4th and 8. An option play on 4th and 8, with practically no time on the clock, your Heisman trophy winning RB and Outland Trophy winning RG both out with injury, 1or 2 plays after Gill perfectly places a ball on Irving Fryars hip only to be dropped in the back of end zone..and it turns into a 25 yard touchdown... scoring wasn't despite Turner Gill. As for Gill being 'afraid' that is ridiculous. that is about as well as anyone could suck in a defense enough to get the needed yards to stay alive. he not only did that he got all 24....video loading

Last edited:
This analysis leaves so much out. Tommie had a legit #2 backup that saw meaningful playing time. Tommie also missed the majority of his Junior season with blood clots. Tommie is the only QB in college football history to win MVP in three consecutive NC games and you could argue that he played in four consecutive NC games (because the bowl alliance did not yet exist.
the fact both of them had career threatening injuries (fraziers blood clots and Gills lower leg nerve damage) makes this conversation that much better.

Good points. I will echo what has been said by some in that TG was better than TF IMO. I have said for YEARS that TG is NUs best QB ever. TG wins 2 nattys in 94 and 95 if hes QB. Remember in 82 if there was replay we would have basically won a NT due to the PSU loss. And half of a finger tip away from winning in 83. We were 2 plays away from Back to back titles in those years and had no D.

Gill could throw ten times better than TF. TF ran the option a little smoother but TG was just as athletic, maybe more.\
Heck I almost think we could have MAYBE won in 94/95 with lots of ex QBS.

TF was great but is overrated due to just how good those teams were as a whole
where to begin with your hatred...? the bold is absolutly ridicules. We damn near lost to KSU with other QB and we went from demolishing Florida N the Fiesta bowl to being shut out by ASU when one of these other QB's had to play. say what you will about Brook, sad ending to the story, but we lose to miami without Frazier and win going away if he stays in the whole game. if you have to almost and maybe a bold statement you probably might not believe it yourself..;)

:Sarcasm:
i know you don't hate Nebraska

where to begin with your hatred...? the bold is absolutly ridicules. We damn near lost to KSU with other QB and we went from demolishing Florida N the Fiesta bowl to being shut out by ASU when one of these other QB's had to play. say what you will about Brook, sad ending to the story, but we lose to miami without Frazier and win going away if he stays in the whole game. if you have to almost and maybe a bold statement you probably might not believe it yourself..;)

:Sarcasm:
i know you don't hate Nebraska
First of all we played ksu with a 5 8 125 lb walk on until we finally brought brook in and won. A healthy brook from the start and its not close.
2nd of all, idk WTH the 96 asu game has to do with anything lol
Frazier was good
Tg was better
95 team wins a natty with a host if ex nu qbs because that team was that good
94 team wins with tg for sure, almost won with bb who was average

TF was good but gets too much credit for the mid 90s sucess. Had more to do with cmcbribes defensive change than anything
81 thru 83 nu wins a 3peat easily with a good defense

Thats my opinion. Disagree if you want, i respect that

2nd of all, idk WTH the 96 asu game has to do with anything lol

TF was good but gets too much credit for the mid 90s sucess

1996 has to do with the mid 90’s minus tommie Frazier, being replaced by one of those exQB’s you speak of…. And 1 thst is as good or was better than any (Scott Frost the player). We went from the fiesta bowl to being shut out with virtually everyone back on thst offense except TF. (Who am I’m missing?)

On the other end, those exQB’s couldn’t get a 1st down in the 92 orange bowl, couldn’t complete a shovel pass. If you don’t remember the jolt the entire program felt for years to come. (Not unlike Gill) When Tommie Frazier became the starter i feel bad for you. It was magic. In the lead up to 1991 Tommy Hasse was a fan favorite of some (based off the pulse the offense showed in the citrus bowl) vs the competition compared to the likes of Mickey Joseph, mike Grant and keithen McCants (what a pleasant surprise)
Tommie Frazier did not win national titles by himself, but he is far and way the most critical aspect of not only 1994 and 1995 but the momentum he gave Nebraska for the remainder of the decade once he went toe to toe out playing Charlie ward…twice!

And you can double down on everything I said in regards to Turner Gill.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back