• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tommie Frazier vs. Turner Gill

Nothing in common from the design standpoint? They were both options to the same side. In almost every facet they were identical plays. The strong side blocking was different but that is pretty much it. I was an option QB so I am speaking from some experience.
Got it…all a fella has to do is name it the same thing (and proclaim to be an option QB), and then it magically becomes the same thing, regardless of how different they actually were.

Whenever this argument comes up I always point towards a couple things.

1. Turner and TO shared a brain. He always knew what TO wanted and completely understood it. Many times TFraz was just the best athlete on the field.
2. People have already pointed out the discrepancy in defenses between early 80s and mid 90s. If you score over 30 in a national championship game you should win.
3. TG I feel had a better arm.
4. It is no accident that if you look at the top 5 QBs Turner is one of them and the other 4 he coached. TFraz, Brook, Frost and crouch.
5. TFraz through no fault of his own. Did not win all of the games that led to the championships. Especially 94 where I think he played in less than hallf the games. He had a lot of help from Brook. So we probably still beat Miami with Brook. Was there anyone who could replace Turner when he was the starter? The Clemson game showed that there was not.

For all of those reasons I give turner the ever so slight nod.
We don't beat Miami with Brook. He was replaced and TF willed the offence down the field in the 4th quarter.

Both great QBs. I do wonder with those TF lines, what other Husker QBs would have done.

I will say this though, TF was the best pitchman ever and that is saying a ton. Nobody had a better pitch fake and he made so many great option reads. He wasn't a great passer. He wasn't as fast as Crouch. He wasn't the Mack truck that would push a pile forward like SF. But nobody put that ball in the right spot better in the option game.

Both great QBs. I do wonder with those TF lines, what other Husker QBs would have done.

I will say this though, TF was the best pitchman ever and that is saying a ton. Nobody had a better pitch fake and he made so many great option reads. He wasn't a great passer. He wasn't as fast as Crouch. He wasn't the Mack truck that would push a pile forward like SF. But nobody put that ball in the right spot better in the option game.
Not just you but a lot of folks have dissed the early 80s line. You folks do realize from 81 to 83 we had three straight outland trophy winners, right? 2 by the same guy.

3 reasons TG did not win NC.

1. TO had not yet developed his offense fully. He added some really interesting wrinkles from 83 to 93.
2. The PSU refs in 82. Sports illustrated called it the worst call of all time.
3. The 80s D was not in the same league. We scored 30 in the NC game. That was not enough. 95? Frank Costa is still having nightmares from that game.

Not just you but a lot of folks have dissed the early 80s line. You folks do realize from 81 to 83 we had three straight outland trophy winners, right? 2 by the same guy.

3 reasons TG did not win NC.

1. TO had not yet developed his offense fully. He added some really interesting wrinkles from 83 to 93.
2. The PSU refs in 82. Sports illustrated called it the worst call of all time.
3. The 80s D was not in the same league. We scored 30 in the NC game. That was not enough. 95? Frank Costa is still having nightmares from that game.
Excellent point. My point is 400 yards rushing a game is going to make a lot of QBs look good. 83 line was dominant as well.

Both QBs were outstanding.

Last edited:
I understand that if different QBs played with the 90s oline we still would've won titles.

But damn TFraz was just so smooth and a confident and sometimes arrogant dude, but I like that in my qb.

Did anyone watch Dylans episode with bussin with the boys? Tell me he isn't beaming with confidence and borderline humble arrogance

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back