• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Timing of HC Hiring is Tricky

Technically no, but it is imminent and there is already talk about who comes next. It’s reasonable to assume they will be competing for candidates like O’Brien.
They can have him. I'd be more worried about them courting Aranda if Trev hasn't locked him down already. Chadwell will probably be in play for them as well.

I think Trev already has his guy.

Done deal.

Just awaiting the appropriate timing for the announcement.
That would be nice. But why would anyone we want the most get locked down now without waiting to see what other teams’ HC spot opens up. Unless Trev is offering Mel Tucker money now. Seems unlikely a deal is done until Thanksgiving.

That would be nice. But why would anyone we want the most get locked down now without waiting to see what other teams’ HC spot opens up. Unless Trev is offering Mel Tucker money now. Seems unlikely a deal is done until Thanksgiving.
I do not think a formal announcement is not made until Thanksgiving ... and yes TA's prime candidate likely has not said yes ... yet but I fully expect an announcement on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

No current coach would ever commit until they see all of the openings. Unless of course somehow NU is the dream job situation. It's not like calling squaters on a chair. Nebraska has zero leverage. The potential coaches have all of the power in this situation. No one is going to jump on the Nebraska job unless it is exactly what they want or if the coach is a headcase.

You wait til' late November to announce anyone the class is going to be a mess.
Right now we could guess at the majority of the openings. Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, tOSU, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Oregon, UCLA, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Florida, Miami ... they are all stable, there is not going to be an opening. Someone like Aranda will have to decide whether NU or Auburn is a better job ... he can make that evaluation now.

Here is a coaches hot seat web site:

Top ten:
1. South Florida
2. Stanford
3. Oklahoma
4. Northwestern
5. Ohio
6. Navy
7. Auburn
8. aTm
9. Texas
10. Louisville

I think the inclusion of Oklahoma, aTm and Texas are a bit far fetched but you never know ... but if there was interest in moving on I suspect their AD's would be quietly reaching out right now ... so an Aranda (if there was interest) would already be aware of that!

I hope they give coach Mickey another year to really see if he can do it, not just this season with a shorted staff. He seems to know how to get us back to somewhat of a team that doesn't fold like a cheap tent. He deserves more time IMO.

I hope they give coach Mickey another year to really see if he can do it, not just this season with a shorted staff. He seems to know how to get us back to somewhat of a team that doesn't fold like a cheap tent. He deserves more time IMO.
It will be a 5-7 year deal or nothing. A 1 year deal makes no sense for reqruiting.

With all due respect, after getting taken behind the woodshed by what has turned out to be a rather pedestrian OU team, Mickey admitted he should have managed the game better and didn't have all the answers... i.e. Mickey has no experience as a HC at this level. OU could have put 70+ on us without breaking a sweat. We then struggled for 3 quarters to play toe-to-toe with an Indiana squad missing their top two receivers.

Trev is not going to give Mickey another year. Like most all A.D.'s, this hire will be Trev's first and only HC hire barring sudden death or retirement of the next HC. He doesn't have the luxury of taking a chance on a 'maybe'.

We don't have the time for another OTJ training program for HC at NU. I think Mickey's a nice dude and a great assistant coach. Might be a great HC one day. But not here and not now.

With all due respect, after getting taken behind the woodshed by what has turned out to be a rather pedestrian OU team, Mickey admitted he should have managed the game better and didn't have all the answers... i.e. Mickey has no experience as a HC at this level. OU could have put 70+ on us without breaking a sweat. We then struggled for 3 quarters to play toe-to-toe with an Indiana squad missing their top two receivers.

Trev is not going to give Mickey another year. Like most all A.D.'s, this hire will be Trev's first and only HC hire barring sudden death or retirement of the next HC. He doesn't have the luxury of taking a chance on a 'maybe'.

We don't have the time for another OTJ training program for HC at NU. I think Mickey's a nice dude and a great assistant coach. Might be a great HC one day. But not here and not now.
lol, we have time, or is the world going to end in 12 years?. As far as OK game, dude was a coach for less than a week and your basin his ability off that game? I believe he can do the job given a reasonable chance.

lol, we have time, or is the world going to end in 12 years?. As far as OK game, dude was a coach for less than a week and your basin his ability off that game? I believe he can do the job given a reasonable chance.
As a HC you need to know how to stop the bleeding in-game. He did not. The only reason it wasn't an all-time record loss for NU at the hand of OU was because of the pity of Venables.

We've been spinning our wheels for over 15 years. No more OTJ try-outs please.

Right now we could guess at the majority of the openings. Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, tOSU, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Oregon, UCLA, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Florida, Miami ... they are all stable, there is not going to be an opening. Someone like Aranda will have to decide whether NU or Auburn is a better job ... he can make that evaluation now.

Here is a coaches hot seat web site:

Top ten:
1. South Florida
2. Stanford
3. Oklahoma
4. Northwestern
5. Ohio
6. Navy
7. Auburn
8. aTm
9. Texas
10. Louisville

I think the inclusion of Oklahoma, aTm and Texas are a bit far fetched but you never know ... but if there was interest in moving on I suspect their AD's would be quietly reaching out right now ... so an Aranda (if there was interest) would already be aware of that!
Agree that Auburn is the only SEC/Big 10 school on the top 10 list that will fire a coach this year. But you never know when a Saban might retire or a Ryan Day go to the NFL, or health strike someone else. Assuming Aranda might leave Baylor (by way of example), I just think he would want to know all the possible options before choosing NU, Wisconsin or Auburn, so he would not be a done deal anywhere in October.

Agree that Auburn is the only SEC/Big 10 school on the top 10 list that will fire a coach this year. But you never know when a Saban might retire or a Ryan Day go to the NFL, or health strike someone else. Assuming Aranda might leave Baylor (by way of example), I just think he would want to know all the possible options before choosing NU, Wisconsin or Auburn, so he would not be a done deal anywhere in October.
With all due respect to ANY of the coaches on our wish list aside from Urban Meyer ... if Saban or Ryan Day retire/leave ... none of those coaches on the NU top ten list are getting either of those jobs.

Having said that ... there will likely be a huge cascade of events ... Dabo might leave Clemson for his alma mater Alabama and now Clemson has an opening that Venebals might leave OU for ... so on and so forth.

But the other side of this is I suspect the ADs at 'Bama and tOSU already have a succession plan in place. I suspect they've had conversations with both Saban & Day and I suspect potential successors (Luke Fickel for example) have been told discretely through intermediaries they're a potential successor.

Last edited:

As a HC you need to know how to stop the bleeding in-game. He did not. The only reason it wasn't an all-time record loss for NU at the hand of OU was because of the pity of Venables.

We've been spinning our wheels for over 15 years. No more OTJ try-outs please.
You speak in tones that indicate you believe there are guaranteed winning hires out there. A quick perusal of the coaching world indicates the opposite-there are no guarantees in coaching hires. The sure things are currently employed and going nowhere, every one else is a crap shoot.
As to blood loss stopping, not sure a coach can be named that hasn't undergone that at some point. Expecting a fresh coach to step in and grab the reins of a program with the recent history of NE's, and be fully joy is unfair. Snap shots don't make for smart hires. I'd prefer to garner a tad more sample size.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back