• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Timing of HC Hiring is Tricky

Mentally Red

Got Huskers on my mind
5 Year Member
Now we have UW and Auburn in the hunt with more to follow. If Trev wants to get a jump on them, he may need to get his man locked down soon. However, that may mean they have to try to keep it secret all season long. AND…if Mickey has a better than expected year, it’s going to be pretty awkward to send him packing right after a bowl game. This whole notion that Mickey will be interviewing for the next several weeks is flawed. I think decisions have to be made soon. I’m glad I’m not in Trev’s shoes, but I do trust him to make the right call at the right time.

Last edited:

Now we have UW and Auburn in the hunt with more to follow. If Trev wants to get a jump on them, he may need to get his man locked down soon. However, that may mean they have to try to keep it secret all season long. AND…if Mickey has a better than expected year, it’s going to be pretty awkward to send him packing right after a bowl game. This whole notion that Mickey will be interviewing for the next several weeks is flawed. I think decisions have to be made soon. I’m glad I’m not in Trev’s shoes, but I do trust him to make the right call at the right time.
I agree with all this. If Trev can lock up his first or second choice, he will deal with any MJ awkwardness fine. If he can’t, and Mickey has the year you mentioned, it will be tricky indeed.

In order to not get blown away with recruiting and/or roster turnover I think it’s imperative to have a coach hired almost immediately after the season ends on November 26th.

The good news is even with UW and Auburn out there NU can get it’s preferred choice but it cannot wait for the cavalcade of end of the season firings as well.

I hope TA is working with the urgency to identify and secure his preferred coach. Lots of behind the scenes inner workings I hope.

I think the bigger issue is keeping recruits and the brand of Nebraska football healthy. I think we'll get a good coach...heck, it could be Coach Joseph (notice I didn't call him Mickey...ugh drives me nuts). That would be the easiest path, but hiring the flavor of the month has not worked for Nebraska. Get the right guy, not the media darling.

Bryan Harsin was fired?

I agree with all this. If Trev can lock up his first or second choice, he will deal with any MJ awkwardness fine. If he can’t, and Mickey has the year you mentioned, it will be tricky indeed.
I'm not sure he can wait for the season to play out.

I don't think he can wait while other teams are searching also. He has his guy locked up.

This is all a product of the NCAA’s genius in creating the early signing period. By the middle of October, the bottom 20% of programs are looking for a new coach, and the top 20% get to spend the remainder of the season worrying about keeping theirs.

Thanks NCAA, as always.

No current coach would ever commit until they see all of the openings. Unless of course somehow NU is the dream job situation. It's not like calling squaters on a chair. Nebraska has zero leverage. The potential coaches have all of the power in this situation. No one is going to jump on the Nebraska job unless it is exactly what they want or if the coach is a headcase.

You wait til' late November to announce anyone the class is going to be a mess.

This is, in my opinion, the most attractive the Nebraska job has been since Osborne took over for Devaney. You have (hopefully) a very good AD in Trev. You don’t have 35+ years of expectations.

But above all else, you have the very real possibility that Nebraska is in one of two conferences with a solid future. You can’t take the ASU job thinking you’ll have an easy road to the playoff when you don’t even know where that school will end up.

The certainty, the money and the access the BIG and SEC provide are unmatched right now.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back