• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tim Miles the next head coach at NU!

I'm not in the majority here at all, but am pretty excited for Tim Miles. A great guy with a tremendous drive and work ethic with the ability to get the most out of a majority of his players. I hope he is able to have success and get Nebraska headed in the right direction. Congrats and good luck!

I'm not in the majority here at all, but am pretty excited for Tim Miles. A great guy with a tremendous drive and work ethic with the ability to get the most out of a majority of his players. I hope he is able to have success and get Nebraska headed in the right direction. Congrats and good luck!

I agree with this post:thumbsup:

+1...........Great Hire!

I'm not overwhelmed by the hire, but the more I read about him the better I feel. At any rate, I am excited because it is somebody new and quite frankly, none of us know how it will turn out. So I am going forward cautiously optimistic. My kool-aid is kind of a pinkish hue as it were.

Very very stoked! Especially considering the state of the program... "Doc.2" Puhlease, Doc cudnt hold Miles Jock people.. As a person, a coach, a recruiter, a roll model, a Man with a Plan, someone that will ALWAYS be moving this program forward....BTW, neither of these attributes did SADler even approach the last 3 years.

I am just bummed that we will have to wait a while before we can see any kind of results....might be for the best, or it might just drive us nuts! :wow:

I am just bummed that we will have to wait a while before we can see any kind of results....might be for the best, or it might just drive us nuts! :wow:

Kind of like going out on a blind date in High School.:)

Last edited:
I had a chance to talk to a good friend of Greg McDermott's at the Big 12 tourney. McDermott and Doc are also close. Disclaimer: I am well aware this is one of those "I know this guy who knows this guy stories", but I'm not trying to claim to have some kind of inside scoop or unearth a juicy story. I just think he was able to provide some perspective on why Doc and McDermott have succeeded at mid majors and failed at the next level.

McDermott talked a lot about the difference between coaching kids who play for the love of the game and kids who play to get to the NBA. That's not to say there aren't kids with NBA talent who don't play for love of the game or no kids at mid majors with NBA talent, just a generalization of the talent needed to win at the next level and what it takes to coach them. He also talked a lot about having the stomach for the behind the scenes nastiness of recruiting. Not that it's all illegal, but he did mention as a prime example the $ involved with getting Wesley Johnson to Syracuse (I don't like to make unproven accusations, but it also probably doesn't surprise many to hear that). This conversations started when I brought up the Doc firing. He said McDermott and Doc talked a lot about not letting "it" change him, "it" being the nastiness.

Yes this is "friend of a friend" stuff, but I do think there is something to the idea of a principled mid major coach having the stomach to do what needs to be done to win at the next level (and I'm not talking about anything illegal). Say what you will about Doc as a coach, I am extremely confident based on the people who know him that he is a great man and a man of purpose and principle.

Also, calling Tim Miles Doc part 2 or whatever anyone is going to come up with before he even steps foot on campus is just dumb. Sorry, but that is the best I can come up with to describe it. No one "knows" squat with regard to how his tenure will go while here. If you can't get behind him just go back to not caring. If he doesn't excite you, fine, but he deserves the support of anyone wanting to see this program succeed.

I really don't know what I expect of and for this new coach....his team is banged up, the arena won't help until he is recruiting and gets those people here, and he will be facing teams that were seeded 10,4,4,4, 2 and 1 in the tourney. He has coached an 11 seed and can say that he has been there. I hope he embraces the pressure and can get results from this team that Doc was unable to get. Bridled enthusiasm, and blind support for Coach Miles!
:huskerflag:

I had a chance to talk to a good friend of Greg McDermott's at the Big 12 tourney. McDermott and Doc are also close. Disclaimer: I am well aware this is one of those "I know this guy who knows this guy stories", but I'm not trying to claim to have some kind of inside scoop or unearth a juicy story. I just think he was able to provide some perspective on why Doc and McDermott have succeeded at mid majors and failed at the next level.

McDermott talked a lot about the difference between coaching kids who play for the love of the game and kids who play to get to the NBA. That's not to say there aren't kids with NBA talent who don't play for love of the game or no kids at mid majors with NBA talent, just a generalization of the talent needed to win at the next level and what it takes to coach them. He also talked a lot about having the stomach for the behind the scenes nastiness of recruiting. Not that it's all illegal, but he did mention as a prime example the $ involved with getting Wesley Johnson to Syracuse (I don't like to make unproven accusations, but it also probably doesn't surprise many to hear that). This conversations started when I brought up the Doc firing. He said McDermott and Doc talked a lot about not letting "it" change him, "it" being the nastiness.

Yes this is "friend of a friend" stuff, but I do think there is something to the idea of a principled mid major coach having the stomach to do what needs to be done to win at the next level (and I'm not talking about anything illegal). Say what you will about Doc as a coach, I am extremely confident based on the people who know him that he is a great man and a man of purpose and principle.

Also, calling Tim Miles Doc part 2 or whatever anyone is going to come up with before he even steps foot on campus is just dumb. Sorry, but that is the best I can come up with to describe it. No one "knows" squat with regard to how his tenure will go while here. If you can't get behind him just go back to not caring. If he doesn't excite you, fine, but he deserves the support of anyone wanting to see this program succeed.

Damn good post. Thanks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back