• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

tim miles can recruit and tell jokes pretty well

I don't understand why people keep harping on Coach Miles for his personality and the tweeting? The sense of humor is who he is and the tweeting during the game is done by a staffer. Would you rather he was grumpy and a rectal cavity to the media??

Now, feel free to criticize how the team seems lost on the offensive end and seems to lack "effort" all you want.

I don't understand why people keep harping on Coach Miles for his personality and the tweeting? The sense of humor is who he is and the tweeting during the game is done by a staffer. Would you rather he was grumpy and a rectal cavity to the media??

Now, feel free to criticize how the team seems lost on the offensive end and seems to lack "effort" all you want.

Actually his personality will help buy him all the time he needs.

We still have never recovered from Craig Smith leaving. That was TM's Xs & Os guy.

I wouldn't put this loss all on the coaches, either. We turned the ball over 17 times and shot 10 of 20 from the line. Take 5 turnovers away and hit 5 more free throws and we probably walk away with a win. Not saying that there weren't coaching issues, but quite a few people on that team didn't show up tonight. Before the game I made the comment that we shouldn't take these guys lightly. Not only can they play a little bit, their pressure and zone defense isn't a good matchup for us.

Sounds good coming off a loss to Kentucky, NOT Samford!!! There is no excuse for a loss like this.

i'll take a stab at this since i'm probably one of the people you are referring to. i guess i harp on it a bit because i think his personality is largely what got him this job. i don't care that he has a nice sense of humor and is social media savvy, but it appears to me that once you strip that all away, whats left is a guy who is in over his head. ya, i'd much rather have a bo ryan grump then a guy who bothers to have someone else tweet out a captain obvious statement at halftime. I'm waiting for Miles to tell us something we don't already know.

A coaches personality affects fans dude

Check out our football team for an example

You are making my point. His personality and social media savvy are not the problem, it is the coaching. That is why I asked the question. I agree that the staff's performance should be under the microscope, but not that the guy is in a good mood. I doubt if anyone on here has heard what he says behind closed doors, but let's just say he will spend a lot of time in a confessional talking to his brother. The problems with this team are obvious to the casual fan, say nothing of those of us who understand the game, so not sure what he could tweet out? The tweets were intended for the student body and to try and keep them interested in the game. I guess he could tweet out that we need a big man.

i'll take a stab at this since i'm probably one of the people you are referring to. i guess i harp on it a bit because i think his personality is largely what got him this job. i don't care that he has a nice sense of humor and is social media savvy, but it appears to me that once you strip that all away, whats left is a guy who is in over his head. ya, i'd much rather have a bo ryan grump then a guy who bothers to have someone else tweet out a captain obvious statement at halftime. I'm waiting for Miles to tell us something we don't already know.

You are making my point. His personality and social media savvy are not the problem, it is the coaching. That is why I asked the question. I agree that the staff's performance should be under the microscope, but not that the guy is in a good mood. I doubt if anyone on here has heard what he says behind closed doors, but let's just say he will spend a lot of time in a confessional talking to his brother. The problems with this team are obvious to the casual fan, say nothing of those of us who understand the game, so not sure what he could tweet out? The tweets were intended for the student body and to try and keep them interested in the game. I guess he could tweet out that we need a big man.

i understand your point. his tweets and funny jokes aren't the problem, so what difference does it make. i get it. and you're right, harping on his personality doesn't get us anywhere. i guess for me personally, i'm over his "hook"....and i call it that because I believe, if he wasn't as funny and savvy as he is, he wouldn't be coaching at NU. sure he's had decent success as a mid-major coach. so has the guy at UNI, and no one is paying him ungodly amounts of money to coach in a power5 conference. my concern is that he's so likeable that we'll be stuck with his smoke and mirrors for who knows how long. because when you take his jokes and tweets away, he is getting clowned when it comes to x and o coaching, evaluating talent, and player development. So you ask what else could he tweet out? well i'd prefer he didn't tweet anything. instead of the cute one liners, I'd prefer he stopped talking all-together. i'd prefer he show he can actually DO something about the problems, rather then placating everyone with his media savvy and ability to mask problems with funny jokes.

As Bilsker said above, it is what will give him more time than most. I think we can all agree the talent level has improved, now for the on court product to get better. Maybe, taking all these AAU guys is not the answer for this staff. They need to break them down and eliminate that one on one mentality, and haven't succeeded. My concern is that Coach Hunter was brought in for his ability to develop big men. Some of the issues we have seen just seem like simple basketball IQ things. IE, forcing a guy to go left when he is left handed.

My biggest question for the staff would be, if you are smaller than your opponent, why slow it down and allow the defense to get set??

As Bilsker said above, it is what will give him more time than most. I think we can all agree the talent level has improved, now for the on court product to get better. Maybe, taking all these AAU guys is not the answer for this staff. They need to break them down and eliminate that one on one mentality, and haven't succeeded. My concern is that Coach Hunter was brought in for his ability to develop big men. Some of the issues we have seen just seem like simple basketball IQ things. IE, forcing a guy to go left when he is left handed.

My biggest question for the staff would be, if you are smaller than your opponent, why slow it down and allow the defense to get set??

i think that exact same thing every time i watch them play. What in the world do the coaches see that tells them we should be slowing the game down? we don't run any sets, we have no post presence whatsoever, we don't get offensive rebounds, and we're not particularly good on defense. all of those things tell me we should just be running running running and trying to force the tempo and turn the game into a sloppy track meet.

If I was coaching this team, I'd be practicing a full court pressure package for SURE. Both how to break it, and how to put one on. Then, I'd go balls to walls vs Prairie view and just run to death. fast paced, high speed, pressure pressure pressure. Good quick shots, with an aggressive full court man defense, and trust you've got better smaller athletes who can outpace the other team. May not work against Northwestern or Iowa, but we would have run friggin' Samford out of the gym.

I agree, which is why I'm concerned we're going to be stuck with this nonsense for a while. :cry:

That is what I thought we would see this year. Use a 10/11 man rotation and run!! Use your speed, like Watson and Parker. Give the bigs a chance to get an easy bucket.

i think that exact same thing every time i watch them play. What in the world do the coaches see that tells them we should be slowing the game down? we don't run any sets, we have no post presence whatsoever, we don't get offensive rebounds, and we're not particularly good on defense. all of those things tell me we should just be running running running and trying to force the tempo and turn the game into a sloppy track meet.

If I was coaching this team, I'd be practicing a full court pressure package for SURE. Both how to break it, and how to put one on. Then, I'd go balls to walls vs Prairie view and just run to death. fast paced, high speed, pressure pressure pressure. Good quick shots, with an aggressive full court man defense, and trust you've got better smaller athletes who can outpace the other team. May not work against Northwestern or Iowa, but we would have run friggin' Samford out of the gym.

The talent level has improved but it was going to improve under doc too......once pba and the practice facility. Improved talent was expected regardless with all of that. How much has been hctm and how much has been the improvements is kinda unkown

Last edited:
It was only a matter of time before Tim's personality began to work against him in the eyes of fans. Sure, most are still behind him, but at some point the whole "social media savvy" schtick gets old. Nothing wrong with using social media to your advantage, but at some point there has to be an advantage. People don't like to read whitty tweets from a coach who just lost two home conference games (with a loss to Samford not that long ago either), and is about to play on the road against a team that just picked up two huge wins.

Last edited:

It was only a matter of time before Tim's personality began to work against him in the eyes of fans. Sure, most are still behind him, but at some point the whole "social media savvy" schtick gets old. Nothing wrong with using social media to your advantage, but at some point there has to be an advantage. People don't like to read whitty tweets from a coach who just lost two home conference games (with a loss to Samford not that long ago either), and is about to play on the road against a team that just picked up two huge wins.

agree

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back