• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

***, thoughts on the Troy game?

Honestly... I’m still trying to digest what has happened. The marketing ploy we were fed of 700+ pound squats making us better and a coach that was a guaranteed +2 in the win column is tough to constructively talk about without ruffling feathers.

Trying to figure out how to do that. Already having to give someone a dose of reality when they say frost wasn’t the one who dropped passes but failing to realize clock management and play calls are not on the players.

Sorry this time I am not in agreement. As for the strength and conditioning I will bow to your expertise. But I don’t think you can lay Gebbia bailing and Martinez getting injured on Frost. This restricted his play calling.

Sorry this time I am not in agreement. As for the strength and conditioning I will bow to your expertise. But I don’t think you can lay Gebbia bailing and Martinez getting injured on Frost. This restricted his play calling.

Sure you can....if Gebbia started, Martinez wouldn't have been injured

Let's see...
A team that was 4-11 in its last 15 games and starts a walk-on transfer QB manages to lose to a team that beat LSU at LSU in 2017.
And somehow this is rationale for questioning whether Frost was the right hire?
Goodness gracious. I know that message boards and talk radio are vehicles for fans to vent and feel as if their voice has power but the general lunacy of the commentary can sometimes leave one shaking their head and turning the dial.

Well, that certainly puts things in perspective.

I don't think people really have digested where the program was at the end of the season last year. This is not a "quick fix" situation we are in.

From a talent and scheme standpoint, it's a makeover. From a culture standpoint, it's at the very least a major overhaul. There have been locker room issues dating back to Frank's tenure. At some point, everyone - players, coaches and fans - thought the train would keep on rolling simply by showing up with the red N on the helmet.

Culture is difficult to even define, let alone install or change, which is why the hires post-Frank haven't even really tried. The general strategy has been to hope it works itself out through attrition. Frost is taking it head-on, stat. This is exacerbating the growing pains but will pay dividends down the line.

I’m not a Bo fan but I think he had better talent and was a better coach than Riley. So a rebuild to just even get back to respectability. Riley destroyed our program. Our team could challenge for the west or only win four games.
It's the doomsday terminology that I have an issue with.

"Complete rebuild"...no.

"Destroyed our program"....no. By definition that mean "ruin or put out of existence". You've already stated that you believe the talent on hand has the ability to win the division. There's no way you can say in the same thread that the program was destroyed. Mismanaged...hell yes. Damaged? I'll even give you that. But nowhere near "destroyed".

remember when Callahan "completely destroyed" the program? And then pelini came in and won 9 games? That was a pretty rapid "culture change" that was successful...at least for a while.

Not picking on you necessarily...you aren't the first to use those terms.

Last edited:
This is not a total rebuild.

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

As pointed out, we are 4-12 in our last 16 games

SF inherited a mess. I was as much of a kool aid drinker as the next guy hoping that a change in coaching staff would lead to a rapid turnaround

But, haven’t we always been that way? Overly positive about recruiting (except SoCal). Supremely optimistic after the spring game, etc. then penis punched during the season

Like it or not, when you look at all Big 10 preseason selections, our representation is pretty mediocre (only 4 guys through Athelons 4th team). That is on par with Northwestern. Sorry.

In my opinion, we probably shouldn’t be surprised by the letdown with Troy. If AM plays, I think it is a 2 score win, but the offensive limitations with Bunch were too hard to overcome.

We are all disappointed and I will be rooting like crazy this Saturday, but I view this as a transition year. I’m still optimistic as hell, but I’m sobered by the current reality

Does everything have to be an extreme? In the Colorado game, there were certainly things to improve, but I saw more life out of both sides of the ball than I have in at least a year or two. Against Troy, it felt like a step back but then you realize how hamstrung the offense was with Bunch being in there. Some of that is on Frost for not changing things up, but some of it is simply having a Matt Turman back there making his first ever start, and without all-conference talent around him. And yet, the defense overall played well. In both games, they felll behind but fought back. I know this sounds like baby steps, but good God, I'll take baby steps right now after last year.

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

As pointed out, we are 4-12 in our last 16 games

SF inherited a mess. I was as much of a kool aid drinker as the next guy hoping that a change in coaching staff would lead to a rapid turnaround

But, haven’t we always been that way? Overly positive about recruiting (except SoCal). Supremely optimistic after the spring game, etc. then penis punched during the season

Like it or not, when you look at all Big 10 preseason selections, our representation is pretty mediocre (only 4 guys through Athelons 4th team). That is on par with Northwestern. Sorry.

In my opinion, we probably shouldn’t be surprised by the letdown with Troy. If AM plays, I think it is a 2 score win, but the offensive limitations with Bunch were too hard to overcome.

We are all disappointed and I will be rooting like crazy this Saturday, but I view this as a transition year. I’m still optimistic as hell, but I’m sobered by the current reality
I think maybe you are probably reacting to the Troy game a little excessively.

The fact of the matter is the defense actually IS quite a big better than last year already. It's visible almost immediately. perfect? Nope.

And we would have said the same about the offense, particularly the offensive line and QB, after the CU game...save for the errors. The troy game, because they ran the ball up the gut all day and didn't trust the QB is giving people a distorted view IMO.

Now, that doesn't mean that this team is challenging OSU for the title this year. or next. But there is clear improvement already. There are also some of the same old buggaboos too...the season is young and AM is back saturday. ;)

It's funny how the staunchest defenders were the first to nail non-Nebraska coaches to the cross...

Hopefully the team shows signs of life by the end of the year

It is funny how the first to bail on SF (after 2 games...mind numbing) were the staunchest defenders of non-Nebraska coaches.

Does everything have to be an extreme? In the Colorado game, there were certainly things to improve, but I saw more life out of both sides of the ball than I have in at least a year or two. Against Troy, it felt like a step back but then you realize how hamstrung the offense was with Bunch being in there. Some of that is on Frost for not changing things up, but some of it is simply having a Matt Turman back there making his first ever start, and without all-conference talent around him. And yet, the defense overall played well. In both games, they felll behind but fought back. I know this sounds like baby steps, but good God, I'll take baby steps right now after last year.
This ^^^^

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back